Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-13-2009, 07:05 AM   #401
Angela Rose
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: What do you wish you knew then? CDing a newborn *update post #269*

Wow! Just started reading this thread, but it is awesome! Thank you ladies so much. I count all this advice as invaluable, especially for someone like me that doesn't know anyone in rl that cds.

Advertisement

Angela Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 12:25 PM   #402
seaggarwal
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispy79 View Post
I wish I knew that onsies pinched the PUL and caused my diapers to leak. Strickly t-shirts on the next baby!
so helpful! I have been snagging slip on undershirts short and long sleeve when I see them at Marshalls.
Was this trouble with covers or pocket/aio type diapers?
Old 11-14-2009, 01:58 AM   #403
OneLuckyMama
Registered Users
Formerly: littlefornow

My Mood:

We have major problems with onesies still. My DD is 13 months and if we get a leak it is usually the onesies. I still use onesies since it is cold here and she is very active. But, we do have issues with them in all kinds of diapers. The onesies are usually cut so they slide in between her leg and the diaper - then they start to wick moisture.
Old 11-14-2009, 09:20 AM   #404
Everywhere
Registered Users

I wish I knew that everything, even xs and newborn sizes would be HUGE and that I would be sending my hubby running to the store for a package of sposies. I had xs thirsties covers and they went down to his knees and up to his chest! In fact I just looked at a picture the other day when he was 6 weeks old wearing an xs thirsties, and it was still covering his belly button!
And this was for a 7.5 pound baby term baby.

Also that I would HATE prefolds on a newborn. It's horrible trying to fold and snappi one onto a baby who is still all curled and scrunched up, and it was MUCH too wet against that newborn baby skin, no matter how fast I tried to change him.

Last edited by Everywhere; 11-21-2009 at 08:25 AM.
Everywhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 09:30 AM   #405
bellybellybuttons
Registered Users
Formerly: boobybaby
seller
seller

My Mood:

Awwe, your daughter is beautiful

I wish I would have known that all I needed to cd was 18 good infant prefolds, not the gerber ones I purchased at first) and three-four velcro or snap covers. We just laid the prefolds in the covers, no snappi or pins needed as newborns do not move around enough to need them.

I would have gone with snaps because my newborn would wake/jump at the sound of the velcro but we were given the cheap covers and at the time I was on the fence about cd, so didn't want to invest until I knew for sure. If I knew what I know now I would have went with all x-small FuzziBunz, then skipped right to the mediums as they would have adjusted to fit our long skinny baby.

We have since graduated to all FuzziBunz one at a time and used them in conjunction with the prefolds/covers until I was able to get my full stash of FB's when he was three mths old and in the Mediums/onesizes.

We have half Mediums/half onesize in our stash which should last us for a long time.

Good luck choosing.

Last edited by bellybellybuttons; 11-14-2009 at 09:43 AM.
bellybellybuttons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 10:52 AM   #406
Whimsy Twist
Registered Users
Formerly: Lilymomma
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilymomma View Post
Woot Woot for a great thread!

We have twins due in July, and after reading this, oh, say 15 TIMES... This is what I have decided... Let me know what you think! (oh, I have posted something similar before, but didn't get much of a response, so I thought would try here!).

2 Doz. Preemie PF's
2 Doz. Preemie Fitteds

12 Preemie PUL Covers
Preemie Wool

2 Doz. Orange Edge GMD's
2 Doz. Newborn Fitteds

12 XS PUL Covers
XS Wool
12 XS AIO's

2 Doz. Green Edge GMD's
2 Doz. Small Fitteds

12 OS AIO/Pockets (haven't decided on which yet... DH's choice really)
2 Doz. OS Fitteds
2 Doz. Premium PF's
12 Wonderworks OS Covers
LOTS OF WOOL!!!

So, all in all, it's 2 dozen diapers per baby and a dozen covers per baby (both PUL and wool) per day. I know 24 diaper a day sounds like a lot, but I'm sure there will be days when I fall behind on laundry, or days when DH is doing more diapers than me (he won't use PF's or Wool). I'm making almost all of the fitteds and AIO's, and am going to make them all SUPER simple. I'm even thinking of color coding the sizing! All the fitteds will be the same pattern, all the AIO's will be also, and I'll have a couple different PUL cover brands, but mostly all the same. I REALLY need DH to be on board with this!

So what do you think? Am I set? Or overboard? I've thought of going down to 18 Fitteds in each size, but then I feel like I will love the fitteds more than the PF's and wish I had more fitteds...lol!

Sorry this got kind of long!
Hehe! I just re-read this, and thought I would post about what we ended up doing.

1.5 dozen preemie pf's
2xs superbrites
4 preemie fitteds

3 dozen infant pf's
8 xs thirsties covers
8 small pul covers (still too big for the most part)
16 small fitteds (trimsies- started fitting at 6.5lbs, still have room to grow at 8.5lbs)
8 xs bg aio's
8 small very baby bamboo fitteds
only a few pieces of wool

WHAT I WISH I WOULD HAVE KNOWN:
More preemie things- my babies came at 28 weeks/2.5lbs
NOT side snapping fitteds- hard to snap on scrunched up legs
More covers in each size, at least 6 per baby
More snappis, I would have used the pfs more if i could find them :P
More wet bags- i dont like using them more than twice and we only have 2
NOT to have borrowed out my Rikki wraps- the mom killed the elastic on them

Hope that's helpful! NAK

Whimsy Twist
for the love of color...
find me on Facebook or Etsy
Whimsy Twist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:19 PM   #407
BlueEyedGirlz
Registered Users

Last edited by BlueEyedGirlz; 11-14-2009 at 04:21 PM.
BlueEyedGirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 04:22 PM   #408
BlueEyedGirlz
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everywhere View Post
I wish I knew that everything, even xs and newborn sizes would be HUGE and that I would be sending my hubby running to the store shortly after birth (home birth) for a package of sposies. I had xs thirsties covers and they went down to his knees and up to his chest! In fact I just looked at a picture the other day when he was 6 weeks old wearing an xs thirsties, and it was still covering his belly button!
And this was for a 7.5 pound baby term baby.

Also that I would HATE prefolds on a newborn. It's horrible trying to fold and snappi one onto a baby who is still all curled and scrunched up, and it was MUCH too wet against that newborn baby skin, no matter how fast I tried to change him. I started cloth diapering my first child at 6 months old using prefolds and covers so I really thought that would be the way to go with the new baby.

I am pregnant again and I REALLY don't know what I'm going to do. I would love some TRULY newborn size aio's or fitteds with wool, but they are sooooo expensive. Like, $10 and up, even those Tinke Trap things. That's $250 for an entire stash. You can buy a lot of sposie diapers for that $ until babe fits into the prefolds and covers I already have.
I agree!! My daughter is 4 weeks old and we can use XS Fuzzi Bunz and XS BG AIO. Everything else is huge on her. She was 7lb 13oz and full term. It takes me forever to put on a prefold and get it snappied and with a XS cover it is huge on her.
I started CDing at 18 months with my older daugher.
Carol
Lauren 03/19/04, Megan 05/03/06, Katelyn 10/15/09
BlueEyedGirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 09:42 AM   #409
carolinagirl
Registered Users

My Mood:

I started out cloth diapering when my son was born (day 1, minute 1). We never had any 'sposies in our home, and things went just fine. The diapering part wasn't hard at all - I had a dozen orange-edge GMD prefolds and 2 dozen yellow-edge ones as well as 3 or 4 newborn covers (a friend sent more and that was a life-saver!) and 6-8 infant covers. I also had one newborn AI2 that was great just to put on him and talk about how cute he was , and a few pockets that fit him once he was in the yellow-edge diapers. When ds2 was about 4 weeks old, I took him to our baby blessing where there were other long-time cd'ing moms and they actually sat in shock and commented on how easily I changed him in the prefold with bikini twist. They were all fitteds users. That was a proud moment for me .

The onesies are definitely an issue, but like others have said, I cut off the bottoms and he wears all of his older brother's hand-me-downs that way. I did find a few ts at target, but those were larger - not newborn sizes. Marshall's is a good place for side-snapping long- and short-sleeved white tshirts.

For the babe I'm expecting in May, I plan to switch to fitteds (even after all the prefold love with ds2, I found fitteds and completely switched his stash to goodmamas). I don't know yet what type I'll buy - I really like what I've read about Clovers, but I'm still researching.

Overall, I would say that it's NOT hard - we had no meconium-staining (ds2 was born at home) and his newborn diapers were in like-new condition when I sold them. I really enjoyed having warm, soft fluff to put on him and can't wait to do it again with this babe!
carolinagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2009, 10:12 AM   #410
seaggarwal
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagirl View Post
I started out cloth diapering when my son was born (day 1, minute 1). We never had any 'sposies in our home, and things went just fine. The diapering part wasn't hard at all - I had a dozen orange-edge GMD prefolds and 2 dozen yellow-edge ones as well as 3 or 4 newborn covers (a friend sent more and that was a life-saver!) and 6-8 infant covers. I also had one newborn AI2 that was great just to put on him and talk about how cute he was , and a few pockets that fit him once he was in the yellow-edge diapers. When ds2 was about 4 weeks old, I took him to our baby blessing where there were other long-time cd'ing moms and they actually sat in shock and commented on how easily I changed him in the prefold with bikini twist. They were all fitteds users. That was a proud moment for me .

The onesies are definitely an issue, but like others have said, I cut off the bottoms and he wears all of his older brother's hand-me-downs that way. I did find a few ts at target, but those were larger - not newborn sizes. Marshall's is a good place for side-snapping long- and short-sleeved white tshirts.

For the babe I'm expecting in May, I plan to switch to fitteds (even after all the prefold love with ds2, I found fitteds and completely switched his stash to goodmamas). I don't know yet what type I'll buy - I really like what I've read about Clovers, but I'm still researching.

Overall, I would say that it's NOT hard - we had no meconium-staining (ds2 was born at home) and his newborn diapers were in like-new condition when I sold them. I really enjoyed having warm, soft fluff to put on him and can't wait to do it again with this babe!
congrats on your new little one on the way
I have mostly NB mutts and look forward to reviewing them. I also have some Nb star baby and xs very baby and some xs bg aio
I really do stink at prefolds. I keep trying and trying with my twins to practice and they are never right- loose around the bum or very buly in spots. they are so wiggly too it doesnt help. I do have a few prefolds and preflats for this baby but am hoping I can just trifold in a good gusseted cover ( I have preemie and Nb imse vimse and xs thirsties)