Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-28-2010, 03:45 PM   #481
fancy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: What do you wish you knew then? CDing a newborn *update post #269*

Wow. I cant believe this thread is still going! I remember seeing my Tushie Ties on here a couple years ago when I was first making TT's. Great to see it is still alive.

Advertisement

fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 06:30 PM   #482
mamahen
Registered Users
seller

I'm only on page 10 but I"m getting baby fever and need to channel my newborn zeal somewhere- why not make a list for it! Plus then I can watch for deals on FSOT and Black Friday/Cyber Monday since maybe I'll have LO#2 before this time next year!!

ETA- I ended up loving prefolds and covers when DS was a newbie. Its funny I dont really remember much except the BGOS I had started repelling and I got the prefolds as a cheap way to get through until I could fix the BGOS. DH loved the prefolds too. Now I just wonder if I was missing out on something, like KL0's.

Please rear face your child to the max- their lives could depend on it.

Last edited by mamahen; 11-01-2010 at 06:35 PM.
mamahen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 07:06 PM   #483
Tripletmomtx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Subbing!
Old 05-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #484
Ferrum
Registered Users
seller
seller

At around pages 20-30 I thought this was the best thread.
After reading all 49 pages, it does seem like every newborn is different. I should only buy a small number of the recommened options and plan to buy more when baby is here and I have had the chance to try it out?

Does anyone know where to get zippered wool sleepsacks?

Any others have baby in diaper without cover laying on a fleece pad?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlushingEwe View Post
** covers are not necessary all the time, just lay your diapered lo on a wool or fleece pad.

Last edited by Ferrum; 05-18-2011 at 04:55 PM.
Ferrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 05:23 PM   #485
ltlmrs
Registered Users
seller

I'm so glad this thread is being kept alive. Aside from the flats tutorial thread, I think this is the best thread on DS ever.

What I wish I knew with Ladybug, I'll check back in a couple of months with what I'll learn from the new one.

I wish I had known:

1) (like others) that even for a few weeks, the NB sizes are worth it. I wish I hadn't tried to save money by not getting NB stuff. We ended up spending that money on sposies.
2) that the cord might not fall off for weeks. Yet another reason we ended up going with sposies.
3) that wool is expensive, but the best wool isn't always the most expensive. I wish Chelory and GBG had been around when I started CDing.
4) that just because something looks like a great deal on FSOT, it may be better to just go ahead and get something else new.
5) about CJ's butter.
6) that spending time on DS would cost me so much money.
7) that although cloth does save money, it costs a lot to experiment and figure out a system that works. I ended up spending more than twice the amount than I ever thought I'd spend on diapers and this is with flats/prefolds/wool.
8) that I'd need to experiment even with a simple stash
9) how much I'd love flats. Now I'm stuck with a bunch of prefolds that I can't get rid off because resale value is not worth it and I want to keep them "just in case."
10) that even with EC I'd need a lot of diapers.
11) how to rinse dirty diapers. I was spoiled because Ladybug stopped dirtying her diapers very early and went on the potty. The couple of times that I had misses it was so horrible to clean it up and I even ended up tossing a couple of perfectly good prefolds. During times of EC strikes, I'd switch to sposies and we ended up spending tons of money on disposables when I had a perfectly good stash of cloth sitting around. This time around I will not use sposies, I've got too much money invested in cloth!
12) That I couldn't get away with just two covers. yes, I honestly thought I could get two or three covers in each size and be fine. That was another major reason for why we'd use sposies so often, not enough covers. This time around I have a dozen for the newbie stage and about 8 OS or larger sizes.

To Ferrum: I have a wool pad that I got off of ebay that I plan to use with this one. With Ladybug I would layer a couple of prefolds over a waterproof pad and let her go diaper free and it worked great.
ltlmrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 10:10 PM   #486
Ferrum
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltlmrs View Post
To Ferrum: I have a wool pad that I got off of ebay that I plan to use with this one. With Ladybug I would layer a couple of prefolds over a waterproof pad and let her go diaper free and it worked great.
Thanks ltlmrs, sounds like a good alternative for when the umbilical cord is irritated or when skin needs some air.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltlmrs View Post
6) that spending time on DS would cost me so much money.
7) that although cloth does save money, it costs a lot to experiment and figure out a system that works. I ended up spending more than twice the amount than I ever thought I'd spend on diapers and this is with flats/prefolds/wool.
8) that I'd need to experiment even with a simple stash
I think you hit the nail in the head with those!
Ferrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 11:30 PM   #487
onegratefulmama
Registered Users
seller
seller

I use a lanacare wool pad - it was pricey 5 years ago when I bought it for DS but getting lots more mileage with DD2 even after using it as a cushion in the wagon for DS and friend! I think I've see wool sleep sacks at OrganicGrace.com and GMD - also lanacare.com or danishwool.com - organic grace also offers a wool puddle pad for $40
onegratefulmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:58 AM   #488
NewbieSAHM
Registered Users
seller
seller

Bump for a great thread! Subbing so I know where to begin when building a NB stash.
NewbieSAHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:31 AM   #489
leeuhhh
Registered Users

My Mood:

i wish i knew how good fastening a prefold was at keeping poo off the cover! all i did with dd1 was trifold, so i never even thought to fasten the diaper. i NEVER had enough covers because i didn't take into consideration how much newborns poo. also, i would have gotten more covers that had a dip or snap for the cord.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:17 AM   #490
DecsMama
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Bump. Started cloth diapering at 2 mos. Will refer to this for baby #2
DecsMama is offline   Reply With Quote