Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-31-2014, 05:51 AM   #551
sarahirene
Registered Users

Re: What do you wish you knew then? CDing a newborn *update post #269*

Oh my gosh, I'm only on page 5 and I'm learning so much ... I'm going to have to carve out a bunch of time to get through the rest!

Advertisement

sarahirene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 02:30 AM   #552
reneeholiday
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Fleece liners!
...I'm telling you, cut a bunch of cheap fleece to use as liners to make spraying/cleaning of dipes SOOOO much easier! Plus, it allows the use of non-cloth-diaper-safe zinc ointment to be used with less risk of stains. :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
reneeholiday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 05:30 AM   #553
Ophelialove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

(I've skipped around a bit & this is interesting so I want to add on)..I am on baby #3

So if I went back I'd tell myself to buy NB fitteds. I used flatfolds from early on with my 1st two & although they fit pretty good on newbs, they are much harder to get the hang of when starting off & it would have made those early weeks much easier for me and daddy...especially me, since daddy might have actually gotten a diaper on correctly...ever.

I also would have gotten wool covers. I love them much more than I would have ever thought. I wrongly thought they'd be a lot of work & I think they are the opposite now that I've used them. I also got the silly idea early on that they couldn't wear clothing over them and that the wool *had* to be your outer layer and your cover in one. Of course they can be used that way, or they can be used just like any other cover. Also, would have helped daddy, and me, because daddy often left little pieces of flatfold out that wicked & got everything soaked. The legs on most wool covers are long enough to never have that happen without any extra effort or checking. (Daddy was a pro by baby#2)

I would tell myself that I won't like one size fits all...at all. I've just never found one that fits as well as a single sized diaper or diaper cover fits. And since I ended up with 3 kids (something I'd also inform myself was going to happen), I should have invested in getting single sized covers & not worried over wasting money. If you use one size fits all, they wear out a lot more from one kid to the next anyway since they are used for so long...oh & stick to gender neutral in diapers as much as you can. I did do that thankfully.

I also would tell myself that I should not get rid of all my diapering things after #2...because #3 will be coming unannounced.

AND bigger than any of the rest, I would tell myself to buy a small portable washer to do dipes in & skip a bag or pail...it makes things so much simpler. I love that change the most. It is the best idea I've ever had for making my CD life easier.
Ophelialove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 06:13 AM   #554
grayciesmommy
Registered Users
seller

Awesome thread!! I didn't start cloth until around 3-4 weeks as DD was too small for anything that I had already bought. Will be putting together a newborn stash for the next babe and now have some great ideas!!
grayciesmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:31 PM   #555
petitecherie
Registered Users
seller

What an amazing thread! So many years of contributions. We used kissaluvs with our last two and the bummis newborn cover. This worked really well for us. Once the cord fell off we really liked the fuzzibunz OS with our last baby. They were super trim. A challenge to stuff at first but easy enough. The trimness motivated me cause her clothes fit better with them. She was a big baby though so not sure they'd fit most so soon.

We used a powder from Wish Garden called cord care that has goldenseal and Oregon grape root in it to dry up the cord and keep infection at bay. The herbs have antimicrobial qualities. We must not have had any meconium staining cause I know with our second we didn't have any disposables in those early days or months. Our third was in the nicu for 15 days so she had disposables during that time but her cord didn't fall off so we had both in the kissaluvs without any problems with the cord. The cord got knocked from clothes and being held with all 3 of my babies and the first one was not in cloth until 3 months. So I don't think the diapers knocked it. Never any infections. With the second we just used a qtip to wipe the gooky part of the cord and that helped dry it out faster. Our midwife recommended that. Nothing on the qtip, just dry and clean. We used the powder with the first and third baby.

For the wipes we used a small crock pot. I liked it cause we could fill it up with more wipes at once and it didn't dry out cause we kept a couple inches of water at the bottom. The wipes warmer always seemed to dry out the cloth before I needed them.

I wish I had known how easy it was to wash newborn poo and how benign it was. It didn't need any special treatment, just rinse in the washer and then run a normal wash. It's the solid eating baby that makes hard to wash diapers. Cloth diapering is a joy when they are exclusively breastfed and I so look forward to it with our fourth. We really like pocket diapers until solids are more prevelant in the diet. Once the baby is eating lots of real food the pee is strong and seems to have higher levels of ammonia. At that point we like prefolds cause we can soak them in oxiclean until wash day.

Our kissaluvs have shot elastic but still work fine with the cover. The bummis have held up beautifully. I highly advise to avoid Rumparooz. We bought some one size with our last baby 2 years ago and all the elastic is shot. Our Fuzzi Bunz need new elastic but it so easy to replace with the button system they have. Our blueberry, bum genius and thirsties have all held up well, nice elastic that last for years. I have a swaddlebees newborn from a frown and the elastic is like new from 6 years ago. I'm super impressed. The thirsties all in one covers were super trim. I think with this next baby I will buy some blueberries newborn, some more all in one thirsties in small and some gerber prefolds. I do love how thin the gerber prefolds are and think they make a nice newborn diaper but not effective later on. We will still use our kissaluvs, but they are more bulky so I'm hopeful to have some trimmer options this time around.

I've really enjoyed reading everyone's experience so far. Thanks to all who posted.
petitecherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:50 PM   #556
petitecherie
Registered Users
seller

Should read from a friend not a frown!
petitecherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:03 AM   #557
ASpiro
Registered Users
seller

I wish I would have known how easy cloth was and to have more covers with a cord dip. We planned on using disposables until the meconium passed to ease into things (our first baby) but ended up using them primarily for a few weeks because I only had 5 newborn simplex diapers with the dip but my stash was primarily prefolds and covers. Next time around I'm CD-ing from the get-go and getting some covers with a nice good cord dip or snap down!
ASpiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:41 PM   #558
brieMarcell
Registered Users

For me, I wish I knew how much my daughter was going to weigh and if she was going to be slimmer or chunkier. She ended up being very slim, and still is, so the cloth diapers and shells I got her were more for the standard chunkier baby. I bought quite a few diapers and have yet to find a system I like. I can say that I think I am starting to love the fitted inserts. I might base my entire CD experience on fitteds. But I also think I like the grovia. I'm not sure yet. My daughter is only a month, so I have a lot to learn! I never cloth diapered with my son, although I wish I did... He has horribly sensitive skin and broke out with almost every brand of diaper...
brieMarcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:45 PM   #559
brieMarcell
Registered Users

Re: What do you wish you knew then? CDing a newborn

What do all the abbreviations mean? I'm still learning! :/
brieMarcell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:34 PM   #560
Rjohnson7
Registered Users
seller

I spent way to much on nb diapers. My little man was born almost 9 lbs.

my mother bought be a month if diaper service to start off so didn't have to worry about laundry that first month. Best thing that happened to me!

Prefolds and flats aren't that scary and work amazing. Never used the nb pocket and aio's I had purchased to try.

Wool is super scary when you first start but it's actually super easy to keep up and I love it at night. Worth the investment if you can find used that baby can grow into.
Rjohnson7 is offline   Reply With Quote