Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-30-2006, 09:42 AM   #1
allycat
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Items to buy to prepare for a new baby?

My sister is pregnant, and wanted help coming up with a list for what to buy and register for. They are doing a homebirth and natural parenting, so need advice along those lines please. Also, how many cloth diapers would you recommend for a newborn. I'm thinking they will do either pfs and covers or aios. Thanks!

Advertisement

Old 10-30-2006, 12:56 PM   #2
sesa70
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Items to buy to prepare for a new baby?

I think as far as baby equipment is concerned, the two things we absolutely loved were the swing and those vibrating chairs. Sometimes a baby just needs that movement! Also, if your sis is a babywearer, then IMO a moby is a must have. We used that so much, it was the best for a newborn.

Also, for a winter baby (dont knwo what your climate is) a bundle me that goes into the infant car seat is also great. It keeps baby warm going from house to car to store or whatever without the extra coats and things to worry about with a tiny one.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:08 PM   #3
bellasophy04
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

if she is doing a homebirth with a midwife, the mw will probably give her a list of the supplies needed. I did a planned UC and I only used towels, chux pads and embroidery floss to tie the cord.

Last edited by bellasophy04; 10-30-2006 at 01:10 PM.
bellasophy04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:45 PM   #4
daisyprincess98
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I second the bundle me. I also have a mirror that lets me see the rearfacing baby. I LOVE that thing!

As for amount of dipes, I would say 24. That is enough for changes every 2 hours washing every other day.
daisyprincess98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 03:35 PM   #5
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

a wrap, or a MT, or a pouch. You can't have too many kinds of carriers! breast pads, cloth wipes, spray bottle to spritz the baby bum before wiping. Umm diapers and wraps, the wooden pacifier clips are great for clipping small toys to your sling. Natural toys, burts bees baby lotion and baby wash. I do LOVE our sheepskins!
Old 10-30-2006, 03:42 PM   #6
Zanne
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by allycat View Post
Also, how many cloth diapers would you recommend for a newborn. I'm thinking they will do either pfs and covers or aios. Thanks!

First of all, - congratulations of becoming an auntie!

I used two dozen prefolds and 5-6 covers, including 3 newborn and 3 size small. With that stash, I was doing laundry every other day. I recommend trying a variety of covers, as some types fit certains babies better than others. My favorite covers were the imse vimse bumpy and the BSWW.
Zanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 04:13 PM   #7
FunnyMonkey
Registered Users

My Mood:

Some high contrast toys, pictures or a mobile for the baby to look at. Totally didn't occur to me how much dd would enjoy these:

This one is great - colors on the other side. Set up next to the changing table or just look at it together while holding the baby:
http://www.geniusbabies.com/double-s...ib-panels.html

We had this mobile - she looooved it. You can change out the pricture or rearrange them & your baby will get so excited about it: http://store.babycenter.com/product/..._06months/6510

Last edited by FunnyMonkey; 10-30-2006 at 04:14 PM.
FunnyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 10:36 PM   #8
milehighmonkeys
Registered Users
Formerly: ultconsumer

My DD loved her "taggie" blanket I made for her. They are super easy. I like to make the tags lots of different textures and use non-pill fleece. I usually make them about 12x12 (plus tags sticking out). I also include a loop on one corner so it can be clicked into the seatbelt so it can't be thrown overboard easily.

I totally agree with the rear-facing mirror thing. You'll use it for a full year (it was longer for us) before you can turn them forward facing in the car seat. It's nice to be able to see if they are sleeping or unable to find their hand or whatever. I just like to see what's going on.

I would have loved to have one of those "bath aprons". You can make them, but I haven't seen a pattern. Basically, you put it over your head (it might have a tie at the waist as well, I don't remember) and it looks like an apron, but you have both hands free to get the slippery baby out of the tub and you're wearing the towel so you just put baby against you and wrap the "apron" up around her. Here's a pic of one:
http://www.bonnybabies.com/babywrapperstowels.htm

Edit: I totally forgot about our Bumbo seat. That thing rocks!! I think someone carries a knock off brand now, too.

Last edited by milehighmonkeys; 10-30-2006 at 10:37 PM. Reason: add info
milehighmonkeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 10:54 PM   #9
Ooey
Full of Surprises
seller

I was a minimalist with baby stuff when I was pg and I'm so glad I don't have a lot of baby junk around. She doesn't need a crib, high chair, travel system, bouncer, swing or bath tub. The only things that we have are:
-bassinett (doubles as a laundry basket) it's nice to have to use occationaly though,
-Britax boulevard,
-variety of baby cariers, moby, mei tai, sutmei, hotsling
-clothes (zip sleepers, wool longies, l/s tee's & diaper shirts)
-a few teething toys and a buttload of bibs (Whilder was basically born teething)
-breat pump and 2 bottles
-bumbo chair
-fisher price intellitainer
#3 Coming Oct. 2015!
Ooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 05:42 AM   #10
L J
Gazelle Intense
seller
seller

Another minimalist here. We are done buying, and here is what we have:

-36+ newborn/small diapers
-Carseat
-Carriers (2 wraps, 3 pouches, 2 MTs)
-pretty wooden laundry basket lined with soft blankets
-clothes
-blankets
-a few teething toys
-Burt's bees baby wash and butt balm
-Sponge-style bath thing
-Baby Bjorn potty chair (most ppl can hold off on this, but we are ECing)
-thermometer
-Glider rocker (that was really mom a gift-to-mama, but its great to have a comfy place to bf)
-My Breast Friend nursing pillow
-lots and lots of board books

I just can't see needing all of the bouncers/swings/pack-n-plays/etc. I know some people love them and swear by them, but I don't think they are necessary. For us, we don't have a lot of room, are we just can't justify buying these space-stealers when we will never want to put the baby down anyway! (Our first)
L J is offline   Reply With Quote