Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-27-2008, 05:42 PM   #11
caedmyn
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone follow Dr. John Rosemonds style of Parenting?

Consequences will be effective when they're unpleasant enough--it doesn't matter if they're natural consequences or not. If taking away privileges or some of her toys is something that would motivate your DD to change her behavior, then do it. As kids get older I think it's important that they learn that there are natural consequences for their choices, but when they're young, it's more important that they learn that there are consequences, plain. And that they learn that you're the boss.

I never quite understand why some people use some parts of the Bible to advocate "treating kids with respect" or "grace based discipline" but completely ignore the parts that specifically address child-rearing and command children to obey their parents.

Advertisement

caedmyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:49 PM   #12
LilyGrace
Registered Users

Re: Anyone follow Dr. John Rosemonds style of Parenting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by caedmyn View Post

I never quite understand why some people use some parts of the Bible to advocate "treating kids with respect" or "grace based discipline" but completely ignore the parts that specifically address child-rearing and command children to obey their parents.
I can't say I understand this. As humans we are given free will. That means all of us, even our children, have decisions and choices. We cannot force anyone to obey any more than we can force anyone to eat. What we can do is take responsibility for ourselves and how we treat others, and in turn, make the choice to respect and obey a more natural one. It's like aesop's story of the wind and the sun; we can be the wind and attempt to blow the coat off the man's back, or be the gentle sun and warm the area so the man takes his coat off himself.
Our children respond to the sun better than they do a merciless wind.