Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-22-2008, 01:51 PM   #1
zenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Flying with children tips

DD finally got in to see a Neuro at Columbia University in NYC so we are going to be there for a few days. We are flying from Cincy so its only a 2 hr flight. We have never flown with kids and I dont know what all to expect...can anyone give me advice?

2 things i am curious on:
dd is on a special supplement that comes in 8 ounce cans (a case of it is 24 cans, about 17 pounds) how should we handle that?

Also car seats? ds (4) is in a booster and dd (2) has a britax....

Anything else?

Thanks!

Advertisement

Denise, wife to Mike since 6-15-2002, PTWOHM and College Student Mommy to Samuel Wyatt (8-24-04) (who has a blue belt in Shaolin Kung-Fu) and cding, co-sleeping Andrea Rachelle (10-11-06) (Our Celiac Disease, Seizure having beauty queen).
Maybe you're offended b/c you know it's the truth!
zenmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 02:01 PM   #2
hillybean
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Flying with children tips

Hi mama! Congrats on getting to see the neuro

We have flown with our DD several times, so here are a few tips.

For the formula, you can bring that with you as a carry on. Any amount you need. Just make sure that you put the cans in a large zip loc bag so they can easy remove the formula to inspect it.

Since both of your LO's are 2 and over you will have to purchase seats for both of them. You can bring the booster seat as well as the Britax seat with you and use them on the plane. You don't HAVE to, but I highly recommend doing that. Are you travelling alone with them, or will your DH/So be coming too?

Another mama recommended to me a gogo stroller attchement which will attach to your Britax, or any carseat and turn it into a stroller! I looked it up online and I think that I'm gonna have to get one for our Britax since we are flying in February. It looks like it will be a lot easier than taking the large stroller we have. If you do need to take a stoller, you don't have to check it in...you can do what's called a "gate check" where you leave it at the front of the plane before you board, then when you exit the plane it's there waiting for you! You can also do that with carseats that you are not bring onto the plane for your children to sit in.

I hope that answers your questions
Hi! I'm Hillary, mama to two beautiful girlies, Avery Lauren 2/15/08, and Carleigh Louise 8/16/10, and wifey to Trav the eternal romantic "There's no earthly way of knowing, which direction we are going" ~Willy Wonka
hillybean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:27 PM   #3
zenmama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh thanks so much mama!
we are leaving in a week so I dont have time to buy the attachment but I plan or wearing dd through the airport. she is tiny for 2 and still wears well so we are taking out olives and applesauce carrier!
DH will be coming too so I will have an extra set of hands.
thanks so much for the advice!
Denise, wife to Mike since 6-15-2002, PTWOHM and College Student Mommy to Samuel Wyatt (8-24-04) (who has a blue belt in Shaolin Kung-Fu) and cding, co-sleeping Andrea Rachelle (10-11-06) (Our Celiac Disease, Seizure having beauty queen).
Maybe you're offended b/c you know it's the truth!
zenmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:33 PM   #4
patricianaps
Registered Users

My Mood:

MIL had a great idea for flying when we were traveling with 3 toddlers and 3 adults a few years ago (lets not talk about it, one was only 1/2 an adult anyway)

She had us bungee our carseats to collapsible dollies. It was so awesome. I permanently damaged the wheels on my stroller when I took DD#1 on a plane as an infant. Which totally blew out my carseat-base-interchangeable stroller system.

But you have the option of using a stroller all the way to the plane as carry-on, they check it as you enter the plane. I would use the carseat on the plane, then take it to the rental car, etc. Carseats are great restraints!
Old 10-22-2008, 06:38 PM   #5
lunarain25
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Bring *fun* things to do with the kids. I often bring some playdough, stickers, books, novel toys, crayons + paper, etc. Be prepared to be silly and sing a ton of silly songs. Relax and enjoy the ride!
lunarain25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:18 PM   #6
AngelW
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

A lot of children have trouble with their ears while flying and ears getting blocked due to the pressure of the altitude changes. I had a terrible time and would scream on the planes even up to my teenage years. The doctors suggested an operation inserting tubes in my ears (mine were short), but at that time the risk was too high and could potentially lose your hearing, so they didn't have that done. I finally learned this method that helped me so much! "YAWN going UP and BLOW going DOWN." Please note, you may have to do some of each to get it to balance if you overdo either one or if the plane goes up and down a lot. By "blow" I mean you plug your nose and blow - which will release pressure build up in the ears. It's known as the Val Salva technique by scuba divers. I wish all stewardesses would teach this for parents to know how to help their kids. It is often this ear pain that causes the ongoing screaming rather than any other moody issue that will probably resolve in a minute or two. Chewing gum can help, too, but not sure how old a child needs to be to safely chew gum and not swallow - and not sure if airlines even allow it any more. GOOD LUCK!

Mommy to Nicholas Ryan
Born 02-22-07
AngelW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:27 PM   #7
earthmamastyle
Registered Users
Formerly: barbaramommyof2
seller

My Mood:

I don't know about the cans, but I brought my DD's car seat on the plane with us and strapped it to the seat. It made it way easier and then they can't touch all the yucky plane stuff with germs on it. I also brought lots of snacks, portable DVD and a little pillow to prop her head to the side because the plane seats make their car seats so erect that there head can't lean back enough. HTH
earthmamastyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:42 PM   #8
clechatelier
Registered Users

My Mood:

Having snacks on hand can work wonders! We also slipped DD a little benadryl so she'd nod off (but this was a 6hr transatlantic flight).

Good luck!
Old 10-25-2008, 08:41 PM   #9
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

I know in canada, there's a restriction on liquids, but there are two exceptions - food and drink for children under 2, and medical perscriptions. I would hazard that the same thing applies for the US, but check with the airport - they should be able to tell you.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:03 PM   #10
pcolamomtothefifth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DS traveled so well in his sling and carrier. We checked the carseat and double bagged it in 2 garbage bags. My sil packs gifts for the plane ride. She wraps there own toys and has them unwrap them on the plane. Sometimes they are new but usually it's just old ones. Drinking something on the way up and down let DS avoid any ear problems. HTH. GL!

Christen, mama to William V, April 11, 2007

& Madeleine Jane, February 10, 2010

pcolamomtothefifth is offline   Reply With Quote