Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-29-2006, 06:33 AM   #1
runningdiva
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Question making truffles- need a cooking experts opinion

On the note of making xmas gifts..... I came accross this easy truffle recipe.
I read the reviews from allrecipes and some people said they put these in a jar and gave them as xmas gifts. I love this idea but the recipe has cream cheese in it? How does it not have to be refridgerated and how long do you think they will keep??

here is the recipe if someone who is a master in the kitchen could take a look- i would appreciate it.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/easy-de...es/detail.aspx

Advertisement

Mama to Sophia born 6-9-06
runningdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 01:50 PM   #2
Laniemel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: making truffles- need a cooking experts opinion

I've never heard of using cream cheese like that to make truffles. I suppose if you made it right before it would be ok to give in a jar. Truffles usually don't last that long anyway. Most recipes use chocolate (bittersweet blocks or whatever floats your boat) and some heavy cream. Try them though, they may rock. And if they do, let me know, my cousin is insane over truffles and I like trying new things. Make sure to refrigerate though, even while you're rolling them out because it gets REALLY messy when they start to warm up.
Laniemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 04:51 PM   #3
Blackbirdlane
Registered Users
seller

Blackbirdlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 05:25 PM   #4
soygurl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

They should last for at least several days out of refrigeration. I would guess more like several weeks. The reason dairy can be used with chocolate and left out is that chocolate will basically stuck up and hold all the water from the dairy, and without water, it can't go bad. Sorry I'm probably not explaining it well, but it works.
However, if the truffles get too warm they might still go bad (if they start to melt the chocolate will give up some of the water). So... if it is very warm where you live, store the finished truffles in the fridge until you are ready to give them away. Or just do this anyway if you're really worried about it. But make sure they are in a TOTALLY airtight container because the moisture in the fridge might mess them up.
One thing I'd suggest is dipping them in plain chocolate after forming the balls. Not only will it taste better (contrast in texture and flavor) but the outer layer of chocolate will prevent the inside from the air, witch will in turn reduce the chance of spoilage.
One more thing... I just looked at the recipe again, and the one thing that worries me a little is the powdered sugar in the recipe. I might worry that the sugar would prevent the chocolate from sucking up all the water and leave the door open to spoilage. I don't know if this would actually happen, or how likely it would be though. All I know is all the truffle recipes I've used called for chocolate and cream mostly... never sugar (that I remember... I haven't made them in a long time though). Still, I would think that they should last for at least a few days otherwise the recipe would mention refridgeration. And I could be totaly wrong about the sugar thing...
Good luck!

Last edited by soygurl; 11-01-2006 at 05:29 PM. Reason: spelling
soygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 06:00 PM   #5
runningdiva
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by soygurl View Post
They should last for at least several days out of refrigeration. I would guess more like several weeks. The reason dairy can be used with chocolate and left out is that chocolate will basically stuck up and hold all the water from the dairy, and without water, it can't go bad. Sorry I'm probably not explaining it well, but it works.
However, if the truffles get too warm they might still go bad (if they start to melt the chocolate will give up some of the water). So... if it is very warm where you live, store the finished truffles in the fridge until you are ready to give them away. Or just do this anyway if you're really worried about it. But make sure they are in a TOTALLY airtight container because the moisture in the fridge might mess them up.
One thing I'd suggest is dipping them in plain chocolate after forming the balls. Not only will it taste better (contrast in texture and flavor) but the outer layer of chocolate will prevent the inside from the air, witch will in turn reduce the chance of spoilage.
One more thing... I just looked at the recipe again, and the one thing that worries me a little is the powdered sugar in the recipe. I might worry that the sugar would prevent the chocolate from sucking up all the water and leave the door open to spoilage. I don't know if this would actually happen, or how likely it would be though. All I know is all the truffle recipes I've used called for chocolate and cream mostly... never sugar (that I remember... I haven't made them in a long time though). Still, I would think that they should last for at least a few days otherwise the recipe would mention refridgeration. And I could be totaly wrong about the sugar thing...
Good luck!
*wow* that was the explanation i was looking for... I totally appreciate you taking the time to type that up. I think I will do a practice batch and see how they fair......
thanks again!

Mama to Sophia born 6-9-06
runningdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 06:42 PM   #6
soygurl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No prob! Glad I could help. Oh, and thanks for sharing the recipe... I just might have to try them.
I hope it works out for you!
soygurl is offline   Reply With Quote