Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-24-2008, 11:50 AM   #1
golgi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Is there any way to get my one year old to stop cramming food in his mouth??

Hi Mamas

At snacktime, my one year old DS wants to cram every bit of finger food into his mouth at once! His twin sister is so dainty, she will pick up one piece at a time, talk to it, and then 'chew' and swallow it before picking up another. He, however, seems to feel like its a race every time we have snacks.
Having one year old twins doesn't allow me a lot of time to get things done, so when they are having their snack, I try to do dishes, sweep the kitchen floor, etc. (all things that allow me to be in the kitchen with them while they are eating of course)... but with him eating this way, its like I have to sit in front of him and give him one tiny piece at a time.
Any way to show him the proper way to eat his finger foods?? I know he's too young to understand a lot of reasoning, but I feel like this is very unsafe! TIA.

Advertisement

golgi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 01:45 PM   #2
mgl
Registered Users
seller
seller

Re: Is there any way to get my one year old to stop cramming food in his mouth??

I wish I had an answer for you. Ds still does that and he is 4. When he was littler, I would just give him a few things at a time because everything ended up in his mouth at the same time. Now, he will slow down and take smaller bites if we stay on top of him about it, but if he has his way it's all gone in a flash.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:52 PM   #3
cheygirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is there any way to get my one year old to stop cramming food in his mouth??

Hm, what if you put the food in a snack trap, or some other sort of dispenser that took some effort to get the food out of? That might slow him down a bit.
Old 10-24-2008, 01:59 PM   #4
Prairiemom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Haha, I can sooo relate!!! My bigger girl does this, I just let her. She fills her mouth so full, then she sits there and sucks/chews on the whole lot of it. she will cram more in as soon as there's room. I figure as long as she's not choking she's ok.
and Char (03-27-1994)
Prairiemom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 02:38 PM   #5
amyruth
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I thought I was the only one! My 3yo is a vacuum. He is actually better now about stuffing his face but he will eat and eat. We call him shark - he circles around the kitchen island (w ecan only see his hair when we are sitting to eat!) and will try to grab food from the table if it's too close to the edge. LOL He is picky but loves to eat.

Your LO will probably slow down in time. also be careful how you eat in front of your children - they will pick up your habits. Me and DH both tend to eat really fast and I know that's not good but I just want to tank up before the little one starts screaming. LOL
Old 10-25-2008, 03:50 PM   #6
clechatelier
Registered Users

My Mood:

I just laughed when I read your post because DD does the exact same thing! If she wants a goldfish cracker I'll hand them to her in twos, but given the choice to feed herself she'll cram 6+ in her mouth at once and before she's even chewed them all will beg for more! She doesn't choke very often, so I don't worry about it. I do other things too while she feeds herself (housework, dishes, etc) which is SO nice after months of having to feed her everything by hand. I just figure she'll grow out of it eventually. It IS funny though to watch!
Old 10-25-2008, 04:05 PM   #7
HadassahSukkot
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

The only suggestion I would have is one you mentioned -- sitting there giving him one at a time.
He's gotta learn patience with it. Perhaps he is over hungry when it comes to snack time?

HadassahSukkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 05:43 PM   #8
MW69842
Banned/ Member requested
formerly equivocal
seller

My Mood:

My 15-month-old does this sometimes. I've basically just taken to allowing her 5-6 pieces of food on her tray at any given time.
MW69842 is offline   Reply With Quote