Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-24-2008, 03:20 PM   #1
LeeChrista
Registered Users

My Mood:
Anyone deal with a baby who has no schedule?

My son is 7 months old and has NO schedule. He is one of those children that if I try to lay him in his crib he screams bloody murder, makes himself turn purple and then throws up. Not okay. My first was on a schedule around 3-4 months so this is killing me. He eats when he wants, sleeps when he wants(rarely in the crib)and is slowly driving us INSANE!

Any suggestions?

Advertisement

Old 10-24-2008, 04:35 PM   #2
Starr5678
Registered Users
seller

Re: Anyone deal with a baby who has no schedule?

I don't have any suggestions, just wanted to say my DS was the same. We finally forced him onto a schedule at 20 mos old because we were on the ragged edge of insanity by then! Our daycare provider helped with the routine, too. It was a very, very painful and long drawn-out process - took months and it definitely got worse before we saw improvement. Overall, I still don't know how we managed it. I don't know if it was any one thing we did (we tried EVERYTHING) or whether he just outgrew that super needy phase of life. Good luck - I hope you get some good suggestions from the mamas here!
Old 10-24-2008, 04:37 PM   #3
ForCryingOutLoud
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We never did schedules... we just go with the flow.

I don't know, but I would wait until he was a little older if it isn't working for you now.

Last edited by ForCryingOutLoud; 10-24-2008 at 04:38 PM. Reason: typo
ForCryingOutLoud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 04:51 PM   #4
nini02
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForCryingOutLoud View Post
We never did schedules... we just go with the flow.

I don't know, but I would wait until he was a little older if it isn't working for you now.
Same here - for us it was much simpler to just go with the flow. My son got on his own schedule finally at about 10-11 months old. Better late than never! But we co-sleep, breastfeed on demand, etc...so a schedule is no big deal. Sorry I don't have any advice, but just know that it is totally normal for some kiddos

Stephanie, mommy to Avery and Iona

Swagbucks / ZoomBucks / Varolo
nini02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:07 PM   #5
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

We never really had a schedule, either. My son I guess was the closest because I worked outside the home a few mornings a week, but even that wasn't a strict schedule. All 3 of our kids have worked out a routine for themselves, but never a schedule.
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 07:19 PM   #6
Kita
Registered Users
seller

Yep. None of my three had any sort of schedule until they were about a year old, and then it changed again. It is frustrating, in a way, when you have older children, because you want to be able to count on some time to spend with them. But with babies, like the PP's suggested, it was easier for me to just go with the flow. About the time you get them on a schedule at that age, they change developmentally, which throws the schedule off again.

Is it possible to wear your baby in a sling or something similar for naptime? Another suggestion...what about lying down with your baby at naptimes at first, then once he gets used to the timing of things, slowly transition to the crib for naptimes?

For the first 5-6 months, my twins didn't nap in their cribs. Ever. They napped either in a swing or in a bouncy seat. Because they did exactly what you described when I laid them in the crib--they screamed. I'd say that for the short term, do whatever you have to do to get your child to sleep. Then work on where they sleep.

And the last thing....maybe your babe is just a high maintenance babe that needs a lot of attention and doesn't want or need a lot of sleep.
Kita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 08:50 PM   #7
burnsis
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nini02 View Post
Same here - for us it was much simpler to just go with the flow. My son got on his own schedule finally at about 10-11 months old. Better late than never! But we co-sleep, breastfeed on demand, etc...so a schedule is no big deal. Sorry I don't have any advice, but just know that it is totally normal for some kiddos
Thirding this.

His body, his choice.
burnsis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 09:09 PM   #8
ericsgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sounds like my son - it really threw me for a loop. I wish I had some constructive advice for you, but all I can really say is that it did get better as he got older. At about a year he started having more consistent nap and bedtimes. It was very frustrating though, and he is my first, so I was always wondering why my baby was so different then everyone else's! He also seemed to lack the need for the recommended amount of sleep...everyone told me he would be smart, and at 19 months it is so true. He knows his numbers, colors, and most of his letters. He just resisted any kind of scheduly because he didn't want to miss out! I was dreading it being like that forever, but trust me, it has gotten SO much better. I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that he is walking and running around now, and wears himself out more easily! HTH!!!
ericsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 12:13 AM   #9
dragynflye
Banned

My Mood:

ariana is seven months old, and has no concept of "schedule". every one had me freaked out for a while, telling me i HAD to have her on a schedule, because babies need/want a routine. david and i have never had any sort of schedule/routine, so i panicked for a while, trying to make one for ariana. wasn't long before i gave up. ariana didn't seem to want one, and i was stressed trying to stick to something. now, we're back to eating when we're hungry, sleeping when we're tired (which, for ariana, doesn't seem often!), playing all we want, and every one is much happier!
dragynflye is offline   Reply With Quote