Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-24-2008, 09:28 PM   #11
STK2
Registered Users
Formerly: t** **s
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do I make her eat?

Ok here is my long to go with everyone else My daughter will be 3 in January and she goes thru these phases of eating!! For about 2 weeks she will not eat anything, but then for the next 2 weeks she will eat everything insight!!! I have always been told by doctors and moms not too worry all kids go thru eating phases and they eat when they are hungry! They do not know how to physically starve themselves!!!! As for he only wanting to eat one thing all the time...I think that is normal too!! I just recently tell me that while her husband was away on like a month long trip all her daughter wanted to eat was PB&J sandwhiches and the girl is 7!!! If you are worried about her protien and stuff just get some kind of kid drink. I would give my DS pedasures and they were even the Walmart brand one!! Iwould give her instead of milk to make sure she got what she needed and didn't even notice the diffence!! My thoughts on motherhood are You know your DS better than anyone else!! And if you are scarred about something--ask your mom or your nurse!!!! But good luck!!!!

Advertisement

Old 10-24-2008, 11:18 PM   #12
snangel
Registered Users

My Mood:

We have just started to supplement our little man with Toddler formula. It comes in Vanilla flavor, and he loves it.
Other then that I have no idea.....
Old 10-25-2008, 09:25 AM   #13
I Smile Because Of Them
Registered Users
seller

Location: I'm only passing through here as my real home is in Heaven!
My Mood:

Now some of these posts have me scared. I've always been told she was less than the 5% for her age. She's a small kid. She's pretty much destined to be small her whole life since she comes from a small family. The doctors have always said that she's been fine, just a little small. But the past month I have worried about her dropping weight.

Another thing I just remembered to mention, she does this thing while eating. After a while, she starts gagging. I'm not sure why. But she can be right smack in the middle of eating and starts gagging. No matter what it is, she'll just start gagging. I'm not sure if there's something wrong or if she does it so she doesn't have to eat anymore. Any suggestions or thoughts?
Old 10-25-2008, 11:19 AM   #14
STK2
Registered Users
Formerly: t** **s
seller

My Mood:
Re: How do I make her eat? NEW QUESTION POST 13

I babysat a 2 yr old that would do that make himself throw up if he didn't want to eat! But he was a chunky boy and was just stubborn! Does she do it will the noodles??
Old 10-25-2008, 01:37 PM   #15
Menfusse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Mama, I didn't read the other posts, but did scan and saw a lot of she'll eat when she's hungry type stuff. I think the thing that stands out to me is that she's losing weight. 2lbs IS a lot to a child this size/age. It's almost 10% of her body weight. Imagine how much weight that is to you or I. That would be a huge red flag to me, and then you mentioned she was gagging while eating which I assume is something she's only started recently? Has she ever had any other GI problems? Reflux or food gut intolerances? She could be having more going on than you can see causing her to not want to eat. Honestly, if it were me I'd take her in to get checked out. If she were a good size and not losing weight, I'd be more inclined to ride it out and do the "eat what I make, or don't eat at all" method.

Last edited by Menfusse; 10-25-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Menfusse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 04:19 PM   #16
I Smile Because Of Them
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think I might have her examined. For the past week or two she's been doing the gagging thing right in the middle of her food. She even does it with the Ramen Noodles. She'll do it at every meal. I thought it was her just doing it to not eat anymore, but maybe it's not? I don't know. I think I will call a doctor and have her checked out.
Old 10-25-2008, 04:27 PM   #17
grace_n_josie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My ped told me that kids go through ages of only wanting to eat one thing and refusing everything else. DD did this with Mac N Cheese about a month ago. He said that she will get tired evetnually and start to eat her food...just to keep offering it to her. I did and Mac N Cheese lasted about a week maybe she is doing this?
Old 10-26-2008, 01:05 PM   #18
pillywiggins
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis&AbramsMom View Post
I think I might have her examined. For the past week or two she's been doing the gagging thing right in the middle of her food. She even does it with the Ramen Noodles. She'll do it at every meal. I thought it was her just doing it to not eat anymore, but maybe it's not? I don't know. I think I will call a doctor and have her checked out.
Michelle, I really would take her in and ask about getting her evaluated by an Occupational Therapist. My girl went from eating anything to very little all due to sensory issues. Noodles might be the only thing she can eat without gagging.

Does she have any other sensory problems? Here's a link for a checklist. There is one on Oral Input. I MIGHT have just said she's being picky and just going through a phase, but the gagging when she eats questions sensory.

http://www.sensory-processing-disord...checklist.html

Last edited by pillywiggins; 10-26-2008 at 01:10 PM.
pillywiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:09 PM   #19
I Smile Because Of Them
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by pillywiggins View Post
Michelle, I really would take her in and ask about getting her evaluated by an Occupational Therapist. My girl went from eating anything to very little all due to sensory issues. Noodles might be the only thing she can eat without gagging.

Does she have any other sensory problems? Here's a link for a checklist. There is one on Oral Input. I MIGHT have just said she's being picky and just going through a phase, but the gagging when she eats questions sensory.
If it was a sensory issue, wouldn't she have other signs also? If so, what would they be? Oh and she gag while eating the noodles also.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:26 PM   #20
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

with the gagging, i would be thinking sensory too. i have a girl with sensory issues and she outright refuses to eat a lot of foods(things that are "wet"). She has tantrums about seams on socks and getting her hands dirty. Outwardly she just sounds like a brat, but these things make her freak out and hyperventilate. We tried carving pumpkins last night and it took 20 minutes of coaxing to get her to touch a pumpkin seed.