Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-24-2008, 05:47 PM   #1
Ellowyn
Registered Users

My Mood:
Another baby? Am I crazy?

I am the proud mama of 3 lovely children. They are ages 12, 10 and 1. It is hard. We would love to have another baby so our youngest would grow up with a sibling close to the same age. It makes me sad to think of our youngest all alone when the older 2 leave home. I also just plain ole get baby fever. However, I get tired from being up half the night with the baby and then still need to get the older kids breakfast and off to school. Also, when the older ones need help with homework and the baby is fussy, screaming and tearing the house apart. I think I just can't do another baby during those times. I'm 38 so I don't have years to decide. I think about this constantly because I know I've got to make a decision soon. I have no family help whatsoever and DH works alot! Anyone willing to share their thoughts and experiences on this sort of situation?

Advertisement

Old 10-24-2008, 09:58 PM   #2
marusempai
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Another baby? Am I crazy?

If it were me, and this is JUST ME, I would have another baby. Probably. You know, if I could get DH to agree to it. But you know, what is right for me might or might not be right for you. Talk to you husband, pray a lot if that's what you do, and in the end, your gut feeling is usually right about these things. Good luck making a descision. In any case, I don't think you're crazy for wanting another one at all.
marusempai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:52 AM   #3
5babyz4me
Registered Users

I agree w/ the pp. I would have another baby. But I would say you aren't utilizing some of the best help in the world. . .your two oldest children. We are in a season of waiting for our 6th baby to arrive (very soon). My 9, 7, and 6 yod take turns making breakfast right now. Sure, it's only cold cereal each morning but we were eating oatmeal for so long that they LOVE the brief change in diet. My oldest can make oatmeal for everyone as well as cinnamon toast and bacon in the microwave.

I also taught them how to make their own lunch. We homeschool so we eat at home but we're also in a co-op so they do pack lunches for that day as well. My oldest can even change my 21 mod in a pinch if I need it. He doesn't like to be changed period so she's a brave soul to take that on. They pack diaper bags in needed and will help clean house with their assigned chores.

I think older children can really benefit from helping with new babies and such. My 2 dds actually see it as a time to learn how to take care of their own babies someday. It's just a thought.

I would also agree that you should talk with dh and pray about it (if that is what you would do in these situations.)

wife to Chris (13 years)
mom of Jenny(10), Josh(8), Ally(7), Andrew(4), Josiah(2), Ashley (1), Baby Bean EDD May 2010
5babyz4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:14 AM   #4
Alicia P
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

No, I don't think you are crazy, if it were me I would have another... 2 children will play together and keep each other occupied, at least for a few minutes, so you can get something done, KWIM.
Alicia P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 09:41 AM   #5
Lingababe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I just wanted to put in my 2 cents(although I have one child and one due in April).

I had my DD at 18 and knew I would want more children, however my first marriage fell apart and needless to say I was a single divorced mom at 20. I met my now DH when my DD was 2 1/2 and at that point really craved another baby. Although I knew that if he was the one it would be a few years. I didn't realize it would be 5 1/2 years.. LOL My daughter will be 8 in Jan so she will always grow up being kind of alone, but I agree with PP, she is def. going to be a big helper and is very excited for this baby as we all are.

So I say, have another! If you don't you might regret it when you LO is 4 or 5 and then it might be too late. This is my 2 cents though.
Lingababe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:09 AM   #6
debmom2boyz
Registered Users
Formerly: n***_n_b**
seller
seller

My Mood:

I could have written this post! I only have two, though. My oldest is 9 and the youngest will be 2.

This last PG was very hard on us. I was on bed rest and with no income! We are still trying to recover. We just moved to NC and dh needs a job...so $$$ is soooooooooooooo tight right now.

I've thought about another one...but I just don't know how I would do it. Only *if* dh got a job making a lot of money....so I could stay home...KWIM?

I'll be 39 in January.

I just don't know.....I think everyone would think we are CRAZY! Part of me thinks...how expensive would it be...BF again; cloth diaper; what else do we need...except a car seat! I dunno. Dh is also 40.

Maybe if I get my act together and lose 50+ pounds would I consider it......and $$$ wise.....
as you see this is a daily struggle for me! yep, daily!
debmom2boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:50 AM   #7
Ellowyn
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks for all the replies! You ladies have made me feel better about trying for #4. I do get the older 2 kids to help with the 1 year old quite a bit, but I don't ask them to help with cooking and cleaning. I am so used to doing it all myself! I think the older kids will be able to help even more as the baby gets older.
Old 10-25-2008, 01:32 PM   #8
Lingababe
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Even though you don't ask your kids to help with cleaning there could be little things that they could do to help you when you are have 'one of those days.' LOL (I have them all the time)

My daughter is 7 1/2 and I routinely ask her to bring all clothes to the laundry room, after dinner she puts all refridgerated items back in the fridge and feed the dog. we just got the new Kone handheld vaccuum and she loves to do the stairs! She does it without me even asking, which is so nice. Even though none of those things really take that long, it seems to help me out.
Lingababe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 02:01 PM   #9
tusheez
Registered
seller

My Mood:

wow i have 13 9 and 7mo its tough i had my 9yr old at 19 and said id never have anymore it was tough. my 13 yr old is my stepson who we have custody of since he was 2 1/2 and then a yr1/2 ago i said i wanted another it was weird i just had that feeling im 30 so now we have our 7mo DD the boys adore her my tubes are tied and im good with that decision but the other day i did tell DH that i would foster a 6mo-1yr and if it was meant to be then we could adopt her he looked at me like i was crazy but besides that im ok with not being pregnant again
Old 10-25-2008, 02:07 PM   #10
ericsgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I think I would do it...but that is just me... Good luck with your decision!!
ericsgirl is offline   Reply With Quote