Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-24-2008, 09:33 PM   #1
annya25
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Please help me! Major sleep issues

I need ideas/suggestions/a drink!

I am really struggling with my (just turned) 11 month old. He has always nursed to sleep, but over the last 1-2 months even that has become a battle. We have a regular bedtime routine and he is clearly ready for bed at the end of it. But inevitably, he fights sleep until we are all frustrated and he is probably overtired. If he wakes up at night, he will only nurse back to sleep and I can't get him back to his crib. I never used to mind co-sleeping, but he has now taken to jumping off of the bed and I am afraid he will hurt himself. He is too strong for me to hold onto him! Our bed frame will not work with rails, so I now spend a lot of time on the floor on a mattress. My DH is not happy, I am not happy. I am really starting to want to wean him as a result.... Not to mention that I have some back.neck issues and none of this is helping.

I honestly don't have the heart to let him CIO- it makes my blood pressure shoot through the roof, not to mention my boobs go crazy from it and he will literally go on for hours and stat shaking and get sick. Not pretty. But I would love for him to be able to fall asleep with someone other than me. My husband often drives him to sleep- which is effective, but doesn't help in the middle of the night.

If you have ANY suggestions for what has worked if you have been in a similar situation, I would just love to hear them. I know every baby is different, but I am desparate! Also curious to know what time your LO goes to sleep...I am thinking about experimenting with his bedtime. (Right now he goes down between 7:30-8)

Advertisement

annya25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:23 AM   #2
tallanvor
Registered Users
seller

Re: Please help me! Major sleep issues

Don't know from experience, but I have seen the No-Cry Sleep Solution brought up quite often on this board, so maybe it's worth looking into?
tallanvor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 08:51 AM   #3
Beaker
Registered Users
seller

I am dealing with sleep issues with my 12 mo boy. I am desperate to get 6 hours of sleep. Is he learning to walk or anything? Are the molars coming in?
I tried the book mentioned above with some success, but not much. It does work for many people. I have also heard that the Ferber method works well. And I believe Dr. Sears has a sleep book too. I don't know what parenting style you use but one of these books might work. GL mama!
Beaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:49 AM   #4
annya25
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

He started walking about a month ago...I thought maybe it was something like that, like he wants to walk/play all the time? I also thought molars were coming in, (at his 9+ month WBV they were "bulging", but still not here) I feel better about it today, my DH and I do think maybe it is something medical or developmental. Sometimes it is hard to have good perspective when you are tired and the LO won't sleep, KWIM? I gave him Motrin last night and he slept much better. Thanks! I am also going to check out the no-cry sleep solution...never heard of that one before! It sounds like something worth looking into.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:21 PM   #5
S Starr
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hugs, mama! If you get a chance, read Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child. It's pro-CIO, but there's lots of other good info too, like starting the bed routines *early* (6 or 7!), before the child can get too tired.

For us, we tried CIO once and we *all* cried, but a bit later (7 months) tried a modified version that worked well for us: we *would* go to DD if she got panicky, but wouldn't if she was just bored or ticked off.

We also made an effort starting at 5 months to make the crib a good place to be while awake, reading books to her while she was in it right before naptime, for example, and leaving the books with her. Before all that, every waking was a guaranteed 45 minutes (*plus* nursing) before we coudl put her back down, with 2-7 wakings/night. Between 7 and 10 months, that turned into 1 or sometimes 2 nursings a night, easily put back down, and any other wakings were just 30-second drowsy wailings. She soothed herself right back to sleep!

GL, mama!
Old 10-26-2008, 09:28 PM   #6
annya25
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oooh, good to know! I just went on a book ordering rampage on Amazon and that was one I ordered on a whim! I figure that I can glean certain things from everything...or at the very least, this too shall pass, right? I am trying to just stay positive and enjoy my little munchkin!
Old 10-26-2008, 09:34 PM   #7
slaferriere@berklee.net
Registered Users

I hear ya on wanting someone else be able to put your LO to sleep. That was a tough one for me for a while. The only way DH can get DD to sleep is by "wearing" her to sleep. He puts her in the mei tai and walks around the house humming to her. lol. She is definitely a stubborn one for sleep. Always has been. She stopped nursing down at about 4 months. From then on out the only way to get her to sleep is by wearing her.

I do fine that most sleep issues are based around DD's teething schedule. We hit a rough patch starting at 4 mos and she broke her first tooth shortly there after. I love the hylands teething tablets. They have chamomile in the so it helps her go to sleep.

Big Sister Lacie Elizabeth Keegan 9lbs 5oz January 11, 2008
Married to Kory, the man who drives me insane and in love all at the same time!
slaferriere@berklee.net is offline   Reply With Quote