View Poll Results: Would you read "It's Just A Plant" to your child, do you agree/disagree w/ the book?
Yes 20 18.35%
No 72 66.06%
I agree with the book. 27 24.77%
I don't agree with the book. 54 49.54%
Other, please explain. 6 5.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-25-2008, 10:18 PM   #11
peaches330
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Re: "It's Just A Plant" book...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickieboggs View Post
no, absolutely not!! I think it's horrible!!!!

wonder when they will bring out the cocaine, acid, mushroom, lsd, crack, etc etc books????

It is ridiculous to compare marijuana to any of those drugs. Marijuana is nowhere near ANY of those. I was a meth addict by the time I was 16 (of course I'm not anymore, I quit everything cold turkey when I found out I was pregnant with my DD) and I have done all of these drugs before and those are some SERIOUS things to be comparing to weed. I mean there really is no comparison whatsoever and I guess only someone who believes in marijuana as a medicine or who has done other drugs would understand that. I don't even consider marijuana a drug. My husband smokes it as medicine because he has chronic pain from a number of conditions and it really helps him and your comment makes him sound like a druggie which he is NOT. I understand that it's your opinion and you think it's right, but I guess your comment just rubbed me the wrong way because of my situation. It just seemed a little rude.

Advertisement

Last edited by peaches330; 10-25-2008 at 10:20 PM.
peaches330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:31 PM   #12
WhatWasIThinking
Registered Users

My Mood:

That book is disturbing.
WhatWasIThinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:42 PM   #13
ShayneLeMaster
no caption needed
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches330 View Post
. I may consider getting this book, but honestly it sounded kinda corny to me. I think that I would rather have a talk with them and word it on my own.
I agree.

Many in our (my side) family smoke, i dont do it, but dont think bad on those who do either.recreation/medicine use, I have more ill feelings towards people who let drinking get out of hand opposed to smoking some pot everyonce in a while..
Old 10-25-2008, 10:47 PM   #14
Calgary SHAM
Registered Users
seller

I don't know about that particular book, but I will have open and frank talks with my children about Legal and illegal drugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle_M View Post
How can you teach your child to respect authority and laws and then read them a book that says it's ok to do drugs.
With respect, many of us are actualy teaching our children to question Authority and showing them how many laws that govern us are improper, and teaching our children how to stand up for themselves against injustices, and against laws that they may feel stomp on thier freedoms and human rights.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:47 PM   #15
Emmaleigh3699
Registered Users
seller

I don't condone recreational drug use at all - and that includes alcohol because it IS a drug. This is especially important with my children - I am a recovering addict (over 5.5 years clean and sober), my son's father has a history of addiction on his family, and my daughter's father has some questionable activity that could be addiction. There is no drinking in my home. There is no drug use in my home. I would not be ok with my children experimenting with drugs. I don't want them to think its ok. Even with medicinal purposes - they do not need to think its ok for non-prescribed persons to use it. I wouldn't want them using anyone's prescriptions regardless of what it was.

That being said - I am all for medical marijuana. I think that many illegal substances have medicinal qualities that can be utilized and that marijuana has some great properties.

Its still illegal for recreational use and I will NOT condone my children breaking the law.
Emmaleigh3699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 10:59 PM   #16
Anna1345
Registered Users
seller

Location: Where ever the Marine Corps Voluntells us to go....
My Mood:

Quote:
It is ridiculous to compare marijuana to any of those drugs. Marijuana is nowhere near ANY of those. I was a meth addict by the time I was 16 (of course I'm not anymore, I quit everything cold turkey when I found out I was pregnant with my DD) and I have done all of these drugs before and those are some SERIOUS things to be comparing to weed. I mean there really is no comparison whatsoever and I guess only someone who believes in marijuana as a medicine or who has done other drugs would understand that. I don't even consider marijuana a drug. My husband smokes it as medicine because he has chronic pain from a number of conditions and it really helps him and your comment makes him sound like a druggie which he is NOT. I understand that it's your opinion and you think it's right, but I guess your comment just rubbed me the wrong way because of my situation. It just seemed a little rude.
Although I totally see your point, but the reality is that in MANY cases, pot and teens leads to much more serious drugs and behaviors. It is a slippery slope.
Anna1345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:05 PM   #17
ShamroxGirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would never read that to my kids. Regardless if it's "just a plant" - it's illegal in this country and that's good enough for me.

***4***8***12***16**20***24***28***32***36 ***40
ShamroxGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:07 PM   #18
ouchienurse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTee View Post
Are you for real?? A parent that would teach a young child that pot is okay is seriously no one I care to know.
It doesn't advocate use, it just talks about what it is
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShayneLeMaster View Post
I agree.

Many in our (my side) family smoke, i dont do it, but dont think bad on those who do either.recreation/medicine use, I have more ill feelings towards people who let drinking get out of hand opposed to smoking some pot everyonce in a while..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna1345 View Post
Although I totally see your point, but the reality is that in MANY cases, pot and teens leads to much more serious drugs and behaviors. It is a slippery slope.
Alcohol and teens leads to way worse things than pot and teens, from personal experience.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:15 PM   #19
hippydippymama
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna1345 View Post
If you look at it this way, though, it's not necessarily that pot leads to worse things. It's that pot is usually the first drug people try because it is easy to get, not too expensive, and relatively benign in comparison to other drugs. Yes, I have done other drugs, and yes, pot was the first drug I tried. But that was because I had such easy access to it. Drugs like coke, heroin, etc. are much harder to come by, so you're not as likely to find a teen or young adult experimenting with those first.

Plus, if you're open to trying pot, you're probably open to trying other things, but not necessarily. I know plenty of people who smoke pot but would never dream of touching any hard drugs. And I also know some people who do hard drugs and have never smoked pot, because they don't like it!

I hope this makes sense. I think the perception of pot leading to harder drugs is a bit skewed. Pot is usually the first step just because it's the easiest to get, not because it automatically makes you want to go out and shoot up smack. In that vein you could even say that cigarettes lead to hard drugs because those are even easier to get than pot, and 99% of drug users I know have smoked cigarettes since they were teens.
hippydippymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:22 PM   #20
duckpondsunset
Registered Users
Formerly: duckpondatdusk
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post
Since MJ is a "gateway drug"
We just yesterday had a police officer at our shop who was bemoaning how Marijuana is treated like any other drug. He was saying that his most violent arrests were always with drunks, far more than any other intoxicated person, a drunk will often resist arrest. Marijuana, his joke was, "Eh, give the offenders a box of donuts and some soda and they'd probably come down to the station voluntarily". I'm not kidding. I also had a class in college where I worked with incarcerated populations and our class got to have a sit-down Q&A with the warden of Raiford maximum security prison in Florida. My question for the warden "What do you consider your number one problem with the prison system you preside over today?" His answer was that our drug laws need to be completely overhauled and that 3 strikes, you're out should never have applied to those in possession of marijuana. He felt that the drug laws were more punitive in many instances than those of violent crimes. Food for thought.

But on a serious note, there is really no such thing as a gateway drug. Some people occasionally drink and smoke marijuana without serious harm and some people cannot control their impulses regardless of the intoxicant in question. There is really more of a gateway personality type. Like some teens go straight from no cigarettes, alcohol or marijuana- "innocent" types who have never been intoxicated but have the addictive personality type- straight to partaking in pharmaceuticals, methamphetamine, MDMA (ecstasy), or heroin just because it is offered to them. I'm not meaning this as an attack at all I have a close friend in his 60's who has worked in substance abuse treatment for his entire career life and he is always talking to me about this kind of thing. He thinks alcohol should be considered more dangerous than marijuana.

For the OP: I don't think I would read that book to my small child, though. If somehow he finds out about marijuana while still very young, I'll just try to give straight talk, though I would probably be likely to compare it to alcohol.