View Poll Results: Would you read "It's Just A Plant" to your child, do you agree/disagree w/ the book?
Yes 20 18.35%
No 72 66.06%
I agree with the book. 27 24.77%
I don't agree with the book. 54 49.54%
Other, please explain. 6 5.50%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2008, 11:52 PM   #21
peaches330's Avatar
peaches330
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 4,041
My Mood:
Re: "It's Just A Plant" book...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna1345 View Post
Although I totally see your point, but the reality is that in MANY cases, pot and teens leads to much more serious drugs and behaviors. It is a slippery slope.
I think that in a lot of instances it does kinda introduce them into the party & drugs scene but I feel that the whole "gateway drug" thing is a total cop out. I know tons of ppl who are heavy into drugs (obviously since I used to be into them myself) and I personally (and I know a lot of other ppl feel this way as well) don't feel like I was really led to anything or that this huge door was opened up with marijuana. Honestly I think a lot of what kind of opened the door for me was alcohol and that's where all of my problems started, but alcohol is legal and a lot of ppl who are anti-marijuana drink a couple beers on occasion which is just crazy to me. Like a pp said, there are cops who will complain about the fact that alcohol is legal and weed is not because alcohol makes ppl crazy and weed just makes ppl calm and feel better. But I would never blame my drug use on anything other than myself. I blame it solely on myself and the fact that I WANTED to do it.I would go do drugs for 4 days straight with no sleep, crash, wake up feeling like crap, and say "Yea, let's do it again!" because I made the choice to start using more serious drugs. I guess I just feel like when ppl say that, it's a total cop out. It's so easy to use that as a scapegoat instead of taking the blame upon yourself and trying to redeem yourself. And when ppl use that as a cop out it gives this horrible reputation to everybody who uses it. Ok, I better stop and go to bed now, because this will turn into a novel if I keep going.

Advertisement

__________________
*Megan*SAHM to S 9/06 D 11/07 S 2/10 and M 2/13
peaches330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:54 PM   #22
peaches330's Avatar
peaches330
Registered Users
seller
seller
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: NorCal
Posts: 4,041
My Mood:
Re: "It's Just A Plant" book...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmaleigh3699 View Post
I don't condone recreational drug use at all - and that includes alcohol because it IS a drug. This is especially important with my children - I am a recovering addict (over 5.5 years clean and sober), my son's father has a history of addiction on his family, and my daughter's father has some questionable activity that could be addiction. There is no drinking in my home. There is no drug use in my home. I would not be ok with my children experimenting with drugs. I don't want them to think its ok. Even with medicinal purposes - they do not need to think its ok for non-prescribed persons to use it. I wouldn't want them using anyone's prescriptions regardless of what it was.

That being said - I am all for medical marijuana. I think that many illegal substances have medicinal qualities that can be utilized and that marijuana has some great properties.

Its still illegal for recreational use and I will NOT condone my children breaking the law.
Congrats on your sobriety mama!!!! I know it can be really hard at times so I just wanted to give you a thumbs up because I know that I'm proud of myself and you should be too!
__________________
*Megan*SAHM to S 9/06 D 11/07 S 2/10 and M 2/13
peaches330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:28 AM   #23
EricaLynn's Avatar
EricaLynn
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Alaska
Posts: 4,710
My Mood:
Re: "It's Just A Plant" book...

[QUOTE=Calgary SHAM;5201231]I don't know about that particular book, but I will have open and frank talks with my children about Legal and illegal drugs.




With respect, many of us are actualy teaching our children to question Authority and showing them how many laws that govern us are improper, and teaching our children how to stand up for themselves against injustices, and against laws that they may feel stomp on thier freedoms and human rights.[/QUOTE]

Amen to that. Not everything illegal is wrong imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna1345 View Post
Although I totally see your point, but the reality is that in MANY cases, pot and teens leads to much more serious drugs and behaviors. It is a slippery slope.
Yes and no. If taught by conversing and by your children seeing you be responsible wiht things like alcohol etc, they can learn to be responsible and use things like pot and alcohol in moderation. My parents NEVER had a sit down with me about drugs or alcohol. I ended up trying / using a number of street drugs, and not the plant kind if you know what I mean. My parents, to this day, do not know of my past drug use. A good friend of mine smoked pot for the first time with her mom. The only drugs she has used are pot and alcohol. I very much believe that you can teach your children to be responsible and respectful to themselves. If you dont communicate well, THEN it becomes a slippery slope
__________________
Mama to Bailey Autumn (1-1-07) and Asher Jameson (9-22-09)
Wife to Don Andrew
My mom died over a year ago, but I still miss her every day
EricaLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:31 AM   #24
Anna1345's Avatar
Anna1345
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Where ever the Marine Corps Voluntells us to go....
Posts: 3,099
My Mood:
Re: "It's Just A Plant" book...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippydippymama View Post
If you look at it this way, though, it's not necessarily that pot leads to worse things. It's that pot is usually the first drug people try because it is easy to get, not too expensive, and relatively benign in comparison to other drugs. Yes, I have done other drugs, and yes, pot was the first drug I tried. But that was because I had such easy access to it. Drugs like coke, heroin, etc. are much harder to come by, so you're not as likely to find a teen or young adult experimenting with those first.

Plus, if you're open to trying pot, you're probably open to trying other things, but not necessarily. I know plenty of people who smoke pot but would never dream of touching any hard drugs. And I also know some people who do hard drugs and have never smoked pot, because they don't like it!

I hope this makes sense. I think the perception of pot leading to harder drugs is a bit skewed. Pot is usually the first step just because it's the easiest to get, not because it automatically makes you want to go out and shoot up smack. In that vein you could even say that cigarettes lead to hard drugs because those are even easier to get than pot, and 99% of drug users I know have smoked cigarettes since they were teens.
Makes total sense. And yes I agree but again it is the whole behavioral pattern as well. It (and I de believe alcohol in kids as well) leads to a very slippery slope. Some kids can try it a few times and never do it again and are fine. Some kids try it once and are hooked. Some kids are predisposed to addictions.

I think there are a lot of people who are my age and are/were predisposed as teens but never rally knew b/c parents weren't relaly expressing to their kids what's what. I can tell you for FACT almost everybody I knew in HS had parents who NEVER talked to their kids about drugs except the standard "just say no". I don't know but I wonder if many parents DIDN'T talk to their kids b/c they were more worried about what a child might think if they (the parent) took/tried drugs in their younger years and thought a kids might pull the "well you did it, so don't tell me not to" mentality? Who knows but I do know that I have never, not once, even tried pot -- not that I wasn't offered, just never the desire. DH did smoke it a few times in HS but also wasn't really into the whole scene that accompanied it. We are VERY open and honest with our 12 yo. I mean explicitly honest about the truths of addictions. FOr the 5 yo we have started this year with the "just say no" lol. Communication on this subject is imperative.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peaches330 View Post
I think that in a lot of instances it does kinda introduce them into the party & drugs scene but I feel that the whole "gateway drug" thing is a total cop out. I know tons of ppl who are heavy into drugs (obviously since I used to be into them myself) and I personally (and I know a lot of other ppl feel this way as well) don't feel like I was really led to anything or that this huge door was opened up with marijuana. Honestly I think a lot of what kind of opened the door for me was alcohol and that's where all of my problems started, but alcohol is legal and a lot of ppl who are anti-marijuana drink a couple beers on occasion which is just crazy to me. Like a pp said, there are cops who will complain about the fact that alcohol is legal and weed is not because alcohol makes ppl crazy and weed just makes ppl calm and feel better. But I would never blame my drug use on anything other than myself. I blame it solely on myself and the fact that I WANTED to do it.I would go do drugs for 4 days straight with no sleep, crash, wake up feeling like crap, and say "Yea, let's do it again!" because I made the choice to start using more serious drugs. I guess I just feel like when ppl say that, it's a total cop out. It's so easy to use that as a scapegoat instead of taking the blame upon yourself and trying to redeem yourself. And when ppl use that as a cop out it gives this horrible reputation to everybody who uses it. Ok, I better stop and go to bed now, because this will turn into a novel if I keep going.
But that is just it. You are the company you keep and as teens, most have TERRIBLE judgment when it comes to things that, in the moment, seem like a "good idea". If you had never hung out with the people you did in your younger years and you chose a totally different crew, I bet there is a 95% chance you wouldn't have taken the drug path. WHo knows? But the environment at that age, when kids are desperate to fit in -- even when not pressured to try illegal stuff (and alcohol and ciggs ARE illegal for high schoolers) -- is critical to the sucess and failure of the child. Yes, there are always those odd balls who had every advantage in life and still took a bad path, but that is not the majority.
__________________
~Anna~ Mama to Michael , Jaxson & Kazimier
Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth....
Love is what's in the room with you at Christmas if you stop opening presents and listen.
Anna1345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 01:56 AM   #25
hippydippymama's Avatar
hippydippymama
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 6,460
Re: "It's Just A Plant" book...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna1345 View Post
But that is just it. You are the company you keep and as teens, most have TERRIBLE judgment when it comes to things that, in the moment, seem like a "good idea". If you had never hung out with the people you did in your younger years and you chose a totally different crew, I bet there is a 95% chance you wouldn't have taken the drug path. WHo knows? But the environment at that age, when kids are desperate to fit in -- even when not pressured to try illegal stuff (and alcohol and ciggs ARE illegal for high schoolers) -- is critical to the sucess and failure of the child. Yes, there are always those odd balls who had every advantage in life and still took a bad path, but that is not the majority.
That's why I want my kids to be able to make informed choices when these situations arise. If they get curious about drinking, smoking pot, etc., I want them to be able to come to me with questions. And past a certain age (probably 15 or 16) I would let them try it, in the safety of our own home, under my supervision, so they can see what all the fuss is about. I don't want them to try it because they're at a party and some teenage idiot is going, "Dude, you gotta try this, it'll make you feel sooo gooood!"

I know a lot of parents won't agree with me, and I've got my flame-suit at the ready. But I"m a big believer in demystifying things that are considered taboo. I was very sheltered while growing up, and as a result I went hog-wild once I moved out. I had no frame of reference for ANYTHING, and I wanted to try everything at once. Thankfully I never suffered any ill effects from anything, but it's definitely not the smartest way to go about it. I'm not saying I'm going to encourage my kids to drink or do drugs, but I want to arm them with the tools to be able to make smart choices about it. Not say "OMG THIS IS TERRIBLE STUFF AND YOU MUST NEVER TOUCH IT!" That will only make it a thousand times more appealing to them.

I will encourage my kids not to smoke cigarettes, though. That is the most debilitating addiction I've ever had, and I used to be a cokehead. I still crave them today, even as I'm sitting here typing this now. It almost takes more willpower than I can muster to keep myself from picking that habit back up.
__________________
Jill mom to Jacob and Jameson
HBAC Warrior!
Check out The Mushroom Tree, specializing in mama cloth and upcycled woolies!
hippydippymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 05:55 AM   #26
Gitrecca's Avatar
Gitrecca
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 1,451
Re: "It's Just A Plant" book...

I've never heard of it... but from the sounds of the comments, it doesn't sound all that promising...
Gitrecca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:43 AM   #27
LilyGrace
Registered Users
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,851
Re: "It's Just A Plant" book...

Thank you for the link. It looks like it will be an interesting addition to our library.

That said, yes, I probably will sit down and read it with my child when the time is right. While yes, it is against the law (for the most part, not entirely) to smoke marijuana, I don't think that's a reason to close down communication. This book looks like the perfect intro to such a contraversial subject - including the tie in subject of what laws are and how they reflect (or don't) our personal morals. If we chose not to do anything because it is against the law, women would still not have the right to vote, slavery would be legal, interracial relationships would be illegal, alcohol would be illegal.......I believe there's a time and a place for everything, just like it says in Ecclesiasties, and that means there's a time for looking at our laws objectively and deciding what aligns with our values and what is worth fighting against or for.

I will never tell a child of mine not to do something because it is against the law. Exploring the whys and why nots is doing more of a service to the next generation than a 'fear the law' admonition from older generations.
__________________
Left DS because of lack of virus control.
LilyGrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:45 AM   #28
rlr10200's Avatar
rlr10200
Registered Users
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Florida
Posts: 228
My Mood:
Re: "It's Just A Plant" book...

I am undecided. As an avid pot smoker, before I had kids, I believe it is not such a big deal and agree with a lot of what the books says about medicinal purposes and how its so helpful for some people, like chemo patients. I dont know if I would read it to my kids, probably once but not own it and show it to them repeatedly. I wouldnt want them talking about it in public or at school/church, kwim?
__________________
Rachel , loving wife to David, SAHM to David 12/13/04 and Charlie 01/10/08.
rlr10200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:45 AM   #29
mamashhon's Avatar
mamashhon
Registered Users
Formerly: m2bs11n5
seller
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,489
Re: "It's Just A Plant" book...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcpforever View Post
Since MJ is a "gateway drug" I would never read a book like this to my child UNLESS it was simply to show my child what is WRONG with this kind of thinking. The title completely diminishes the issue.

__________________
Jesse - student midwife & mama to four amazing kiddos DS1 (8), DS2 (6), DS3 (2), DD (7 mo)
www.birthsourcedaytona.com
mamashhon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:16 AM   #30
johnnabonna's Avatar
johnnabonna
Registered Users
seller
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 590
My Mood:
Re: "It's Just A Plant" book...

NO!!! I would not read that to my child and I do not think that it should be read to any other child for that matter. Not only is it portraying weed as a substance that has no ill effects at all, it conveniently forgot to mention that it is Gateway drug and is used as a cruch by many who are unable to deal with issues in there lives. I have am saying this from someone who has been there and around a lot of other people who have been there. The book also took authoritive type figures that small children look up to and portrayed them as the "bad guys"...........makes me sick to even know that there are books for children like this out there!!
__________________
Loving wifey to my best friend SuperKevy Mommy to 2 girls
my little Logi bear
johnnabonna is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Copyright 2005 - 2014 Escalate Media. All Rights Reserved.