Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-26-2008, 01:33 AM   #1
Honeymommy3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
When do you (or DO YOU) curtail your child's eating?

I hope this doesn't come across as me calling my kid fat. or putting her at risk for an eating disorder. i'm not looking to get flamed. my question is serious and i'd really like to know.

My odd turned 7 last week. She eats like crazy. She often asks for seconds and thirds - of everything at the meal almost. She can often eat as much as my husband. She will eat here and then go the fifty feet to Grandma's who goes against what we say and she sometimes gets a second breakfast or dinner or just snacks like crazy. When I do tell her that she can't have anymore I feel like a food tyrant (and ILs think that we're just mean when we say no). She says she's still hungry. I wonder how seh can be. I am torn. I don't want her to be hungry but I don't want her eating for the sake of eating, or because it's good, whatever. She has a bit of a belly that she became self conscious of over the summer. (And her dad called her fat i don't know what he was thinking; my dh is her stepdad but the one she considers daddy) We know she's at the age of baby fat and whatever. She plays outside, she eats alot of healthy stuff. If you're still with me THANK YOU! I just don't know what to do. Do you let your child eat until they say they are full regardless of how much that is or do you set a limit? This is really troubling for me. I don't want her to develop ideas about her body image already, but she has because of the tiem spent with her dad this summer. ok i won't let this get any longer because I'd really love to hear from others.

Advertisement

Old 10-26-2008, 01:54 AM   #2
EricaLynn
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: When do you (or DO YOU) curtail your child's eating?

Well my dd is not yet two, so i dont know if i will be any help but here is my two cents on it.

NO. I would not curtail her eating. What I would do are these:

Make sure she is eating healthy food. I let my dd eat all she wants, but it has to be healthy and nutricious.

Make sure she gets enough protein.

Lots of outside and active play time.

Other than that I wouldnt stop her eating, she is still growing and needs the calories if she is hungry imo, as long as its healthy
EricaLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:02 AM   #3
mamaof10
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

My 7 YO is the same way. We finally started offering something less desirable instead of "more". He would eat more until he made himself sick! now very seldom does he follow through when he says more because he knows "more" is not what he wants. for us it is salad...he doesnt really like salad but I know its good for him so if he really is still hungry then he can have salad. most of the time he says nevermind which tells me he wasnt really still hungry...kwim?
AND Karlee (21 mos), AND Jessika Dawn 7-6-11!
mamaof10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 06:31 AM   #4
LilyGrace
Registered Users

Well, I don't know if I would exactly curb her eating. My 9yo just slowed down this year after eating TONS for years and years. He's in pretty good health, pretty active...I didn't really worry too much.

But I did want to be aware, and make him aware, of exactly what his body needs in relation to what he eats. Richard Simmons came out with this thing a few years ago called a Food Mover - basically a picture system of the food groups with each serving having its own picture. We made a poster using the same idea and put it on the fridge. Every meal pictures got covered up, and I could see the days where we weren't eating nearly enough veggies/fruits as a family.
It helped to gradually change eating habits and make us more conscious of our fuel, helping us to decided what to put in our mouths.
Old 10-26-2008, 07:38 AM   #5
rlr10200
Registered Users

My Mood:

I think the first thing you should do is have a long talk with DH Im sure we is not a bad guy and the f-word just slipped out but little girls are SUPER sensitive about that kinda thing. It can certainly lead to eating disorders. My brother was an a** and called me horrible names about my weight. Funny thing was, I was NEVER fat or even chubby. I dont know why he wanted to use words like "fatty" but up until very recently, I thought I had been a fat child and that lead to eating disorders and a warpped self-image. I saw something diff. in the mirror than other pple and to this day, still struggle with bulemia.
So, of course I am sesitive to his issue and Im sure DH is a nice person and would never use that term if he understood the implications.

Ok, Now, I have boys so I dont worry as much and my older one eats as much as I do, sometimes more!! He is as thin as a rail so I let him eat. Maybe since your DD is a food lover, she could just exercise more instead of eat less??? Thats what I try to do myself because I just love food so much. If its healthy food and she exercises regularly (everyday) I wouldnt worry about her and she will grow out of any "babyfat" left over.

Sorry for the book!!
Old 10-26-2008, 08:05 AM   #6
wildeyes
Tummy Kisses Diapers
seller

My Mood:

maybe you could make her wait at least 10 minutes before she is allowed that extra portion. not seconds maybe, but that third helping, or make her wait before going to grandma's house. that will give time for the full signal to reach her brain.
i struggle with this also, dd wants to snack all the time. she gets off the bus at 4, and will munch all the way till 5, and then tell me at 6 she is hungry for dinner. then supper comes, and she eats like a horse lol. i thought only boys did that...
Officially ERF!!!
wildeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:47 AM   #7
mommyfrog
Registered Users

I have an 8 year old dd like that. She is allowed to eat her three regular meals and a healthy snack after school. She is allowed to have seconds of any food at dinner, but after that she can only have vegetables. I would use the same rule for any of the other kids if they wanted to eat as much as her. I have never said anything to her about her wieght. When the doctor asked her if she noticed she might be a little chubbier than other girls her age, she said no. Then the doctor asked her about what she eats and drinks and how much she exercises. She told her to keep eating healthy and get more exercise and when she grows taller, she will thin out.
Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 02:27 PM   #8
Honeymommy3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlr10200 View Post
I think the first thing you should do is have a long talk with DH Im sure we is not a bad guy and the f-word just slipped out but little girls are SUPER sensitive about that kinda thing. So, of course I am sesitive to his issue and Im sure DH is a nice person and would never use that term if he understood the implications.
It was her bio dad, not my hubby. I didn't explain it very well. I meant that dh and i have been together for longer than she can remember so he is her daddy, but she still spends time with her "dad". I plan on having a talk with him though.
Old 10-26-2008, 02:33 PM   #9
Honeymommy3
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyfrog View Post
I have an 8 year old dd like that. She is allowed to eat her three regular meals and a healthy snack after school. She is allowed to have seconds of any food at dinner, but after that she can only have vegetables. I would use the same rule for any of the other kids if they wanted to eat as much as her. I have never said anything to her about her wieght. When the doctor asked her if she noticed she might be a little chubbier than other girls her age, she said no. Then the doctor asked her about what she eats and drinks and how much she exercises. She told her to keep eating healthy and get more exercise and when she grows taller, she will thin out.
well the good thing is that my dd does eat alot of healthy foods. she loves her broccolli, yay,. i asked her doc where she was at on the "chart" and he said 50%. I don't think she is fat, i think she has some extra baby fat in her tummy, but we also never mention anything to her, even in a round about way. I just wanted to see what other mamas thought and what they did. It is good to see how many other dd's eat so well!

Thanks for the suggestions and thoughts ladies
Old 10-26-2008, 02:41 PM   #10
kittykat2481
Registered Users

My Mood:

I wouldn't worry about it at all. I would do as a pp said and just make sure everything you give her is as super healthy as possible, and encourage lots of physical activity (playing outside, dance class, soccer - whatever). A healthy life is about everything in moderation, along with physical activity. She is young and most likely needs the calories for development.