Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!
Old 10-26-2008, 07:00 AM   #1
Registered Users
Unhappy What in the beejeebeeses has happened to my DD

My DD turned 6 months old on the 16th. Before then she was a fantastic sleeper. She would take her naps during the day beautifully and she would sleep pretty great at night too.

All of a sudden, I cannot seem to get her to take her afternoon nap. She is therefore VERY tired when it is time for bed. When we try to put her down to sleep at night, I cannot place her in her crib without her waking up. I have to put her down and reput her to sleep about 4-6 times before she will actually go down in her crib and stay asleep. And by stay asleep I mean about 3 hours, when she used to go 8. We have tried to just have her co-sleep with us, but she is up the bed and down the bed and over on my DH and then over on me, then sideways, like sleeping with a toddler. We have tried to swaddle her but when she goes to sleep she will try to roll onto her belly and that will wake her back up because she can't get her arms up. I will nurse her and she will just latch on and stay on all night long.

So you have the full story, we have switched her to a different room in the house. We had to lower her mattress level to the next one down. She is NOT being vax'd. She has figured out how to crawl and is working on perfecting that. She has gotten in her two bottom teeth. She has figured out how to sit up on her own. ALL of these things in the last two weeks! She is still EBF as she is not interested in food yet. She does seem to nurse a little less in the day so I don't know if she is hungry? She is still a very happy baby, only crying if she is hungry. She is not a cuddlier, unless it is bedtime. She has started to not want to go to strangers the last few days too.

Am I being overly paranoid, or is there something wrong with my baby? Is this just a phase and she will grow out of it? I know they need their sleep so they can grow and develop.

mrsrlgs12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:14 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Re: What in the beejeebeeses has happened to my DD

The teeth have a lot to do with it. Just when you think you have it all worked out something will come along like teeth, a cold, a growth spurt to mess up the night time routine. Don't worry, it is normal to have these set backs. Plus when she crawls all over she burns more calories so she will want to eat more that includes night time feedings. I wish you the best of luck.
mama of 4
Get $10 at threadUP with me - great, cheap clothes
Homeschool Buyer CO-OP = Great Homeschool Deals
missydawn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 07:18 AM   #3
Registered Users
My Mood:
Re: What in the beejeebeeses has happened to my DD

This is a very personal choice and there is no right or wrong answer. Thats being said, we believe in independent sleeping. My 9mo sleeps in his crib. Now, I have tried to let him sleep with us because, like you, I would rather be lying down in bed in the middle of the night with DS in bed than up rocking him at 3 a.m. KWIM? But he sleeps way better on his own than with two adults.

My advice would be to keep doin what you are doing. Our DS woke at night around this age, like may babies, due to physical and/or cognitive milestones. Is DD starting to sit or crawl? This could be the cause. Eventually it should work itself out and she will go back to her schedule if you are persistant!!
And just in case, Id check for outside disturbances, i.e. lights outside or loud noises?? We use a loud fan in both DS's room for "white noise", works great!!
Rachel , loving wife to David, SAHM to David 12/13/04 and Charlie 01/10/08.
rlr10200 is offline   Reply With Quote