Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-27-2008, 08:01 AM   #11
mommyfrog
Registered Users

Re: Anyone have a !gasp! nanny?

No, and I think I'd rather have Alice anyway!! You know, from The Brady Bunch?

Advertisement

Jeanie, wife of Paul, mommy of Aurora-20 and married (5/23/94), Oliver-18 (12/27/95), Simon-15 (9/11/98), Savannah-14 (4/9/00), Harrison-11 (2/26/03), Genevieve-9 (2/24/05), and Sebastian-6 (4/24/08), Precious Baby Girl (lost 8/10), Magnus-(4/26/14)
mommyfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:03 AM   #12
mom2littleman
Registered Users
Formerly: jdunn79
seller

My Mood:

We had a nanny for about 4 months. I had to take DS out of daycare and I had to complete my contract at work. She did not live with us and she came three days a week. I didn't ask her to do anything besides watch DS. She was pregnant and also brought her less than two year old daughter with her. It was wonderful. I didn't have to pack DS up and rush out of the house every morning. DS also finally got on a nap schedule since he had some consistency. We still get the kids together for playdates.
mom2littleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:04 AM   #13
mother4JC
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't have one, but wished I did!

I used to take the kids to daycare(they had drop-in care) for 4hrs a week, during the summer I had our sitter come and take over (cheaper), and then the day care closed its doors so now I don't get my time, and really need it!
Amy~Wife to: Josh and Mother to: Levi 2/13/00 Lillie3/29/06 Ethan 10/4/07 Evie 5/2/10 #5 Custom wet bags, Nursing Covers, & Wipes Cases, blankets, leggins, onesies I ACCEPT PP & RME Like my facebook page Threaded Thingy's **
mother4JC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:13 AM   #14
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

i used to be a nanny. i was sorta a live-in for a little while too. it was complicated but we had a friendship above and beyond employer/employee after the first couple of months and i ended up moving in with her because of a lot of problems going on in my marriage and my life. i had two children of my own and the boy i nanny'ed was 3 weeks older than my youngest(at the time, i now have another daughter). Mom and i set our alarms for the same time to get up in the morning and we woke up the kids and everyone got ready for the day. i would begin breakfast while she showered and together we would dress the kids(as long as she had time of course). as the kids were sitting down to eat she would be leaving for work. i would pile everybody into the car or the stroller and walk my oldest to walk and we would go about our day. my responsibilities were our children, diaper laundry(both babies in cloth and we would wash communal diapers together), whatever dishes we created during the day, cooking meals(dinner was a shared effort unless she was at work late and I would pitch in and do that), and light housework like tidying or running a vacuum if the kids made a ton of crumbs. my personal space was obviously my job too. when she got home from work, her son was her responsibility for the afternoon while I spent time with my kids alone or helped the oldest with her homework or got them off to see their dad. Sometimes, being military, she would work long hours or be recalled during the evening and obviously I took over. But bedtime for her son was her job. We would trade off on baths since we both had children in the home. Middle of the night stuff was her responsibility for her son and my responsibility for my daughters. I had a carseat for her son installed in my car at all times and I would run errands with all 3 kids like they were all my own. I did the grocery shopping most of the time since I was home anyway. I was kinda like a sahm in a marriage.

It worked well being a live-in because it's hard getting 3 small children under 5 up and out of the house(two of which being 6months old). This way the babies could stay in their jammies for the walk to the school if necessary and she didn't have to pack a bag for him to bring him to me or I didn't have to get up at the buttcrack of dawn to get my kids ready to go to her house. It was just SO much easier. And I didn't mind doing the household stuff because my primary responsibility was caring for and playing with the kids and if laundry wasn't done, OH WELL! It was really a good match and a nice, no-pressure situation.

Last edited by 3rockstars; 10-27-2008 at 08:17 AM.
3rockstars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 09:56 AM   #15
myall4him2
Loving Touch Wet Bags
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

ya know...I was just thinking that I needed one this morning at 7am when both kids were screaming for me (what happened to sleeping until 8?!)!

I just want one for while I'm pregnant. Someone just to hang out at the house with me and help me keep up with them. They're so wild and EVERYWHERE, and I just don't have much energy or patience these days. I think I would feel guilty though if I did have a nanny.

myall4him2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:02 AM   #16
cuppiecakecarriers
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I have never had a nannie. I dont think I would want one even if I was rich enough to pay one. I like to do things for my kids and they would depend on that other person for everything and I think I would get jealous! I have seen what some kids are like who have had nannies and they are rude to their parents, like they resent them for not being there for them.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:05 AM   #17
Deanner03
"Life's tough. Get a helmet."
seller

My Mood:

We've discussed it, but I'm reluctant. We have an apartment above our house we could use. DH will still bring it up once in a while. I just don't want someone else in my home caring for my children. I feel that it would confuse them.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:39 PM   #18
MumsLittleGarden
Registered Users
Formerly: hth***r
seller

We talk about it whenever I've had a long hard day and my DH is working until after bedtime. But when it comes right down to it, what would I do if I had a nanny helping me?! I mean yeah it's hard to keep everything together sometimes, but I manage. We joke that if we had a nanny I would just watch ghost hunters all day!! What I really need isn't a nanny. What I need is a good, reliable babysitter that can come once or twice a week to give me a little break when my DH is working crazy overtime. I just wish I knew how to find this much needed babysitter...
Old 10-27-2008, 12:46 PM   #19
katzmark06
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuppiecakecarriers View Post
I have never had a nannie. I dont think I would want one even if I was rich enough to pay one. I like to do things for my kids and they would depend on that other person for everything and I think I would get jealous! I have seen what some kids are like who have had nannies and they are rude to their parents, like they resent them for not being there for them.
See sometimes people hire nannies so that they can spend more time WITH their children and not have to worry about daily chores..

I think parents that have them get a bad rep.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:50 PM   #20
Bee Green Naturals
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzmark06 View Post
See sometimes people hire nannies so that they can spend more time WITH their children and not have to worry about daily chores..

I think parents that have them get a bad rep.
Do nannies clean though, I thought it was mostly childcare 'stuff' that they would do? Nice for some families if they do both though.

For cleaning I just have a house cleaner come in by weekly so I can spend more weekend time with the kids.