Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-26-2008, 10:14 PM   #1
hippydippymama
Registered Users
seller

Do babies get nightmares?

Last night, I was sitting at the computer while DS2 was asleep in his swing. He was sound asleep. All of a sudden he woke up screaming like someone had poured boiling oil all over him. I picked him up and he screamed at the top of his lungs for what seemed like forever, with tears running down his face, until finally he calmed down and went back to sleep. do you think he could have had a bad dream? Maybe it was a night terror? Are babies brains even developed enough to have dreams, and can they recognize them as "good" or "bad"? I've always wondered this.

Advertisement

hippydippymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 12:28 AM   #2
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

Re: Do babies get nightmares?

I wondered the same thing about ds1. I received a "BabyCenter" update stating that it was probably a Night Terror, but my first thought was a bad dream.

I hope your lo feels better now!
Old 10-27-2008, 12:30 AM   #3
ClothDiaperingMama
Registered Users
seller

So that was an .. "I Have NO idea" as my answer!

Hopefully other mamas will chime in.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:50 AM   #4
texanntx
Registered Users

My Mood:

i think they dream (so have nightmares too) about the things they know...maybe he was wondering why it was taking you so long to feed him, or change his diaper, or something like that! LOL

but, yes, I believe they dream

mother to three, gammaw to one
Old 10-27-2008, 01:03 AM   #5
RebekahG77
Registered Users
seller

I have always wondered about this myself. The trouble is, I can't conceive of any way that we could possibly know. Drives me nuts; I want to know!

My opinion is that they do. My LOs have woken up crying like that before too.
RebekahG77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:44 AM   #6
ShyDaisi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Micah has whimpered, cried, smiled and laughed in his sleep since the day he was born. I never figured out what in the world he could have been dreaming about at 1 day old. But, yes, I think babies dream, good ones and bad ones.
ShyDaisi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 01:46 AM   #7
wonder_mom82
Registered Users

My Mood:

Absolutely.. we do
http://children.webmd.com/guide/nightmares
To repeat what others have said, requires education... To challenge it, requires brains.
wonder_mom82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:37 AM   #8
Ladybugsjoy
Registered Users
Formerly: u****ride
seller

My Mood:

Nightmare-crying, tears, etc... easily awoken from, calmed down, recognize you...

Night Terrors/tremors-hard to calm down, may not recognize you, may push away from you, uncontrollable crying, may not actually wake up

My daughter has had night terrors since about 18 months old. She will out of no where start screaming bloody murder and be crying uncontrollably. She pushes away daddy when he tries to calm her (he's military and gone so much she doesn't always recognize his efforts for comfort). When I try to calm her down it can take as little as two minutes, but sometimes up to 15-20 minutes to get her calmed down enough to lay down. She doesn't always wake up and will many times keep her eyes closed even though she's crying and if she does open her eyes she stares through me like she doesn't recognize me at all. Usually the best advice is to stay really calm and say "it's okay, mommy's here, I'm right here, nothing can hurt you." If you have a calming song that they know, sing it really quietly. When they wake up they won't remember it, my daughter knows the different between good dreams and bad dreams and will tell me when she has bad dreams but doesn't recount when she's had a night terror. It's perfectly normal although it can be scary for the parents. And thankfully they usually outgrow it! My daughter is 4 and hasn't had a night terror in almost a year.. now she just has plain ol nightmares and will just come in and join me in my bed and go back to sleep.
http://www.etsy.com/ladybugsjoycreations
Ladybugsjoy is offline   Reply With Quote