Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-27-2008, 09:42 AM   #1
Poohb10454
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Kids with migraines?

My almost 5 yr old son, has a horrible headache and vomiting. He can't stand the light and is hiding under the covers trying to go back to sleep. I wouldn't be TOO concerned if this was the first time, but this is the fifth time he has had a headache and vomiting...starting about a year or year and a half ago.

My husband doesnt seem to concerned about it, but I really am getting nervous about it. What are your thoughts? WWYD?

Advertisement

Old 10-27-2008, 09:48 AM   #2
Menfusse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Kids with migraines?

You should absolutely be concerned! I was a kid with migranes and they were horrible. Medication made a huge difference. The thing is though, that headache+vomiting is always a red flag and he should be seen to rule other things out before going to the dx of migranes.

I'd definitely bring it up with the doc mama and get him checked out.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:51 AM   #3
akrancher
Registered Users
seller

sounds like a migraine to me.
I started having them at about 10 years old and luckily stopped having them after my teenage years. At that age I wonder what type of medication is available. That would be my biggest concern. I would absolutely take him to the dr. Migraines are dabilitating. (sp?)
Can you think of any food that may have triggered it. Has he been eating lots of candy? chocolate?
For me certain foods would trigger it. Strong chemical odors made it worse.
I would let him lay in bed, try warm or cold washclothes on his forehead, whichever he prefers.
I hope you can figure something that is triggering them. I know all migraines don't work this way, but maybe his can be curtailed.

GL!
Old 10-27-2008, 10:56 AM   #4
rainydaybaby
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I started getting migraine headaches when I was about 12 years old. It turns out that my prescription for my glasses was horribly wrong, and I just now found a doctor that could properly diagnose and prescribe glasses to correct my vision problems. . . I'm 26.

So follow your gut, and be concerned. Maybe your DH just thinks that migraine headache's "happen", which a lot of people seem to believe. There is a cause, it just isn't always easy to find or explain. Good luck to you and your son, mama.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:03 AM   #5
redone5683
Banned

Take out all processed foods out of the diet, especially anything with MSG. It's a BIG migraine maker! When DH started with migraines I cut out almost all processed food, and started making most things myself, especially things like broth and bread. Make my own cream sauces, and things like that. It has help SOOO much! But we also found out he has sleep apnea and that can cause bad headaches as well, so we're on our way to fixing him!
redone5683 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:57 PM   #6
CarrieMF
Registered Users

My Mood:

My middle dd gets migraines. Hers are caused by low blood sugar, she needs to eat every 3hours during the day.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:11 PM   #7
Liddle1
Registered Users
Formerly: tummy mommy

I never threw up from it but I'd get migraines as a kid and was really exhausted from them. Mine turned out to be from fluorescent lights which to this day still bother me the same way.

Have you had his eyes checked too?
Liddle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 06:03 PM   #8
Poohb10454
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tummy mommy View Post
I never threw up from it but I'd get migraines as a kid and was really exhausted from them. Mine turned out to be from fluorescent lights which to this day still bother me the same way.

Have you had his eyes checked too?
That is a very good point! I hadn't yet thought about his eyes...but at his last appt she said that he wasn't reading the chart as well as she would like, but that he was really distracted and there was alot going on in the office at the time...so she said for me to bring him back another day to redo the vision test..

I think I will just take him in, so I feel better...it wouldnt hurt.
Old 10-27-2008, 07:00 PM   #9
aoifeaisling
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Definitely get it checked out. Just from reading, I can see so many different causes. I had childhood migraines -- so horrible!! Mine were treated medically and chiropractic. The only cause we could come up with was due to some misalignment due to a shorter leg.

Its one thing to be an adult and get migraines, but kids just don't know what to do with them and don't understand why they might get them.
Mother of 7 yo DS and 2 yo DD , expecting #3, insha'Allah, in March 2011.
aoifeaisling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 11:32 PM   #10
Computermama
Banned

My Mood:

Yep, it very well could be migraines. We don't know when I first started getting them, but the first time I ever heard the word associated with the headaches I was getting was at age 8. I wasn't diagnosed until I was 14 because up until I started menstruating, they were pretty rare, and some tylenol and sleep would almost universally fix them.

Definitely get eyes checked. It may not be migraines, and eye strain or other stresses on the eyes may masquerade as migraines. If an eye exam doesn't clear them, I'd get your LO looked at by your pedi. If you can't find anything medical to explain them, it's time to start journalling. Record everything that might be pertinent - temperature and barometric pressure for the day, what your DS eats, drinks, any strong odors like fresh paint they're exposed to. How much sleep he gets, any stress he might be under. My mother and sister's big triggers are dehydration. My aunt and cousin get them when they need spinal adjustments - a trip to the chiropractor cures them for quite a while. Me, I get them from fluctuations in hormones, lengthy exposure to strong smells and lights, and not taking care of myself (missing too many meals or not getting enough sleep), but caffeine and stress can exacerbate triggers or make existing migraines worse.

Good luck. I know I'm watching DD like a hawk for signs that she might get them. Too many people in my family have them for me not to.
Computermama is offline   Reply With Quote