Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-03-2006, 05:25 AM   #1
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:
Toddler snot/cold question

My 33 month old was sick over the weekend with a viral thing..vomiting, fever, general ickiness. Now for the last couple of days he hasn't had any vomiting, but he did feel warm yesterday (couldn't get his temp taken, didn't feel burning up, but definitely warm). His nose started running a lot yesterday and I did notice it once or twice yesterday, but today it's definitely more obvious...anyway, one of his nostrils - the snot is full of blood...he doesn't have a bloody nose where it's just pouring out..but he's got red snot out of that one nostril (because of the blood).

I never had blood from my nose as I was growing up...Ds has given me a couple of bloody noses and that's my only experience.

Why would he have bloody snot? What should I do for him?

Advertisement

Old 11-03-2006, 07:34 AM   #2
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Toddler snot/cold question

is your heat on? The dry air can lead to some minor nosebleeds or blood tinged boogers. Just push the fluids and get him steamed a couple times a day. You can run a cool mist humidifier in the living room or wherever you and he hang out most. Its best not to medicate for his symptoms, just let his body flush the illness out.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:04 AM   #3
DiapeyMom
Registered Users
seller

I've never had this happen, but I would definitely give a quick call to your Ped just to make sure it's nothing that he needs to be seen for. He may just tell you the same as the pp did, but I would double-check.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:12 AM   #4
annes_cottage
Accomplice to the Temptress of Fuzzi Fannies Diapers

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoed View Post
is your heat on? The dry air can lead to some minor nosebleeds or blood tinged boogers. Just push the fluids and get him steamed a couple times a day. You can run a cool mist humidifier in the living room or wherever you and he hang out most. Its best not to medicate for his symptoms, just let his body flush the illness out.
I was going to say this. I also had bloody nises alot when I was little and my son gets them. My dad and uncle also had them, we have weak blood vessles in our noses...

but I would call your ped since this has never happened before. Just get everything checked out!

Avi pic: Leland 1 yr
annes_cottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 08:39 AM   #5
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

We have the heat on, but not super hot. Everyone in his house is really, really warm-natured..so with the heat on real warm, everybody is grumpy and HOT. So, it's set at about 70 and we dress warmly. Not like coats and mittens, but long sleeved, long pants, etc.

My first thought was about the air being dry too...we have a cool mist humidifier (i think that's what it is)...should I use that still, even though the house isn't super warm? Also, when he came down with the vomiting stuff, i had a sore throat..and we've both been sick - but with different symptoms.

Anyway, I appreciate all the responses and if anyone wants to reply again or more...I'd still appreciate it I'm going to go ahead and put a call into the ped, but they're never very concerned and I'll probably get a 'blow his nose' or something but, JUST in case! Better safe than sorry.

Thnks again ladies!
Old 11-03-2006, 09:10 AM   #6
mom2hancj
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would use some saline spray up his nose to moisturize and help thigns move out. I have the same type of ickiness....cold/tummy/virus thing and my nose has felt weird and dry inside. yucky stuff goign around.
Old 11-03-2006, 11:34 AM   #7
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

Well, I called the pediatrician's answering service *rolling eyes* and they had to call me back. Ya know, I realize that they probably don't have the time to take every call from every concerned parent..which would by why they set up an answering service...but..it's so frustrating because they just tell us to come on in anyway...it's not personalized at all. They just kind of give generic answers. Anyway, they said that we should take him in because it could be his sinuses. Well, I'm usually one of those mom's that overreacts (I say better to OVERreact than to UNDERreact, ya know?)..but I am SO not convinced that this is his sinuses. So, I've started the humidifier (couple of hours ago I think, by now) and I'm going to just watch him closely...if I start to get a bad feeling about it, I'll take him in later today or tomorrow (after hours care).

I don't want to come across like I'm not taking his illnesses or ailments seriously, because I truly am one of those overprotective mom's. But, I'm his mom and seeing his behavior and his symptoms first hand, I'm just really not convinced that it's his sinuses or something that really needs hands-on medical attention. So why did I call, right? Well, I was wanting to know if the humidifier was the right thing...or if i should try a saline spray...or an allergy med...or ya know, whatever

Anyway....so that's what the nurse said..and I deeply appreciate everyone's insight!!!
Old 11-03-2006, 11:40 AM   #8
todzwife
sitesupporter
seller
seller

My Mood:

I wonder if when he threw up if it came out his nose and irritated his nasal passages...
todzwife is offline   Reply With Quote