Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-28-2008, 10:04 PM   #1
xoxo_carley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Sleeping through the night?

For those that are EBF when did your LO start sleeping through the night? My DD is 5 months old and has been getting up 3-4 times a night still. Sometimes she only sucks for a few minutes and then falls back asleep, so I'm wondering if I should even get her out of bed to feed her. We just started on solids and she does get an occasional bottle of formula when my mom watchs her while I'm at school if that makes any difference. I'm just so jealous of all my friends with 5 months that are sleeping through the night.

Advertisement

xoxo_carley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:08 PM   #2
jaceraden
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sleeping through the night?

DD didn't routinely sleep through the night until well after 1 year. She weaned at 17 months due to my preggie supply plummet.

I know this isn't what you want to hear but having a babe that young sleeping through the night isn't the norm. I know it sounds wonderful but most babes just don't do it. My consolation was to try to appreciate the time with DD since there will come a day when she wants nothing to do with me...
jaceraden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:10 PM   #3
martimeCDnewbie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I'm right there with you!! Its 1am and here i sit on the couch waiting for mine to fall back asleep..she went down at 8 but was up at midnight..hungry. and now is fussing to go back to sleep. good times.ha.
martimeCDnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:27 PM   #4
xoxo_carley
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't mind getting up...well...I don't mind getting up all the time. I just didn't know if it's normal for her to still be getting up so often.
xoxo_carley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 10:35 PM   #5
martimeCDnewbie
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't mind getting up either..i figure i could get up twice a night for the rest of my life..if I HAD TO. i'm hoping i won't have to! typically my DD is up, she nurses and back down all in 20 minutes or so. the last week we've stumbled upon a bit of a routine where she goes down at 8 nurses before bed, she's up once around 2 to nurse, then back down till about 7. with the exception of tonight of course..I figure i could do that forever!!
I think listening to others that have LO's that sleep through the night make us question why ours aren't doing that. but i think like stated above its not the norm..although lucky to have! I have read that 9 months is a reasonable time to expect a full nights sleep from time to time..but everyone is different.
martimeCDnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 02:30 AM   #6
tarah1218
Registered Users
seller

My son didn't sleep through the night until just the other week at over a year old. My german ped. would make me wake him up at least once a night if he didn't wake up by 1am, she firmly believes that infants up to a year old need a night feeding for their health. I think it is normal and my son didn't sleep more than 3-4 hr stretches until he was like 10 months. This might make you feel better...my ped. said that night feeding can reduce the risk of sids because the childs blood sugar won't dip as low during the night causing metabolic crisis. Do you co sleep or does she always go back in her crib? If you cosleep part time, to get her back on track try feeding her in her room and putting her back in her crib until her normal time to come into bed with you all. We do this with our son when he gets off track and he goes back on his normal schedule within a few days.

ETA: Even tho my son is sleeping all night now I still wake up once or twice a night to check on him so I still don't get to sleep all night, lol.
Old 10-29-2008, 04:59 AM   #7
viettasgirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD slept though at about 6 or 7 months. When she started doing what your baby is doing- sucking a few times and falling asleep- I started phasing out that feeding because it didn't seem to be for nutritive purposes. We'd just come in and soothe her back to sleep until she learned to sleep through that light sleep/wakefulness. Otherwise, the feedings when she was truly gulping down milk, I kept those until she didn't seem to need them anymore either.

DS will be 5 mo on Saturday and still wakes up 2-3 times a night (last night was horrible, he is getting sick). He seems very hungry and is really nursing at every feed, so I just lay there sleepily and nurse him. It varies greatly when a child will sleep though the night and I have learned not to compare. I think it is very normal for a baby this young to still be waking at night.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:23 AM   #8
clb
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

At 3 months, my ds only woke up 1, sometimes 2, times a night. Then, at 4 months, he always woke up 2, sometimes 3 times a night. We introduced a paci and if he wakes up with less than 3 hours between feedings we would try that instead of nursing. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't. He is 6 months and is still waking up approximately 3 times a night. We've had the very rare night or 2 where he only woke up once, but I am awake anyway just anticipating him to wake up and worrying if he's okay.
C- Proud mama to M (4/08). Loving wife to J. Excited about welcoming baby #2 into our APing, BWing, Non-Circing, Selective Vaxing, happy, hippy family in 03/11
clb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:21 AM   #9
OrangeBananas
Registered Users
Formerly: Savannah+6
seller
seller

My DS is 8 weeks old and sleeps through the night . I am usually up until around 11 anyways, so I feed him just before I go to bed, and then he doesn't wake me up to eat again until around 8 or so in the morning. Though he does nurse all.the.time during the day

OrangeBananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 10:31 AM   #10
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

My LO will be a year old next month, and he's still nursing at least 2x a night, but usually 3x. We co-sleep, so I don't have to get up. I just roll over to his crib (which has the side taken off and is pushed up against our bed) and grab him and we both fall back asleep nursing.

Nutritionally, babies under a year old shouldn't be going all night without eating.

OH, and my 3 1/2 year old STILL doesn't sleep through the night. He starts off in his bed, abut between midnight and 1am comes into our room and climbs in bed with us.

Hang in there!

God bless,
Michelle

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote