Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 10-30-2008, 06:53 AM   #1
mommy2alex2004
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Thank you to whomever suggested a vinegar soak for getting rid of ammonia salts!!!!!

It works so anyone that has been using bleach and the ammonia comes back quickly might want to try this especially if the culprit is microfiber.

We were using bleach but within a week, the ammonia would return so I think the bleach might have been killing bacteria but not getting rid of the ammonia salts in the inserts.

I know I don't have build up in the diapers as I have stripped them but never or find only a few bubbles using the dishwasher method. I do have a frontloader and sometimes have trouble getting Tide out of the diapers without a ton of rinses. The ammonia was there even when using Tide powder, liquid and Crunchy Clean.

So.... I saw a post here where someone said to soak the diapers or inserts in 4 cups of vinegar (distilled) and then wash them. I did and it totally worked! I am so pleased.

I just soaked the inserts in our Frontloader with 4 cups of the vinegar and set the washer to soak which is 2 1/2 hours. Then I threw the rest of the diapers in there for the normal wash routine and so far the diapers still smell like absolutely nothing in the morning even though they are soaked and heavy.

So, just a tip even anyone wants to try it. I liked bleach but it didn't work for long and I hated having to rinse so much afterward.

UPDATE!!!!!!
I have found the way to maintain the nice clean smell and we now have no smell in the diaper pail at all now either. Once you do your original vinegar soak, then just maintain it with 1/2 cup of vinegar in the detergent dispenser for FLers or in the water for TLers. So far I have been doing the 1/2 cup in the detergent dispenser and the smell hasn't come back in several weeks. I use Tide powder (halfway to the 1 line) for the wash cycle and 2 rinses (full hot wash cycles) afterward. I have cut out the extra pots of water and am getting ready to eliminate another rinse cycle to see if the ammonia smell continues to stay away.

I want to thank GBMama for the suggestion of putting the 1/2 cup vinegar in the detergent dispenser for the prerinse for maintenance. That was the trick to keep the ammonia away after the initial vinegar soak since when I used to put the vinegar in the softener dispenser, the smell always came back within a week!

I am so happy and hope this will help other mamas!!!!

Update again 10 months later in August 2009:

I have only had to do the soak with 4 cups of vinegar once after starting this and that was back in April. I haven't had a problem since. There have a been a few times that I smelled a little bit of ammonia in the morning but after a regular wash and just making sure I rinsed fully, the ammonia smell was gone the next time DD wore the diaper. DD is now day trained but still wears diapers at night so my routine has only 4 trainers from DS and 4 diapers from DD so I wash them with bath towels. We don't have any issues with elastic or pul with DD's diapers (bumbgenius). Her daytime diapers haven't been used in 3 months but had normal wear and tear for diapers that were used by 2 kids or several years as most of them were.

I am so glad that this thread has been so helpful to others.

Advertisement

Ask me how!

Last edited by mommy2alex2004; 08-09-2009 at 06:28 AM. Reason: bolded the routine since others were asking and added an update
mommy2alex2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:56 AM   #2
GEM Cloth
Registered Users
Formerly: michellemomx3
seller

My Mood:
Re: Thank you to whomever suggested a vinegar soak for getting rid of ammonia salts!!

So glad that worked for you! I don't know if I was the one who made the recommendation to you but I have been telling a lot of mamas that here. I always soak everything in water and a little bit of vinegar. No smells!

Also tea tree oil works great for removing smells. Just a few drops in the soak pail or in the wash water. It kills lots of bad stuff.
GEM Cloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 06:59 AM   #3
mommy2alex2004
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Thank you to whomever suggested a vinegar soak for getting rid of ammonia salts!!

We typically use 1/4 cup of vinegar in the rinse cycle but that wasn't helping so they definitely needing the soaking. Who knows...maybe I saw the tip from you.

I have been CDing for over 3 years but didn't have ammonia issues until we bought the FLer so I am glad I can get it straight. I have some CC coming and hope I can still use it without ammonia since I got the vinegar to knock out the salts!
Ask me how!
Old 10-30-2008, 07:09 AM   #4
sunnie_skys
Banned

My Mood:

how often do you soak to keep the salts out? once a week, a month or whenever needed?
sunnie_skys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:09 PM   #5
mommy2alex2004
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnie_skys View Post
how often do you soak to keep the salts out? once a week, a month or whenever needed?
Not sure yet but I will play it by ear. So far the vinegar soak has gotten rid of the ammonia smell for longer than bleach ever did. I think the vinegar soak has got to be less harsh than bleach on the inserts and I don't use an many rinses for sure. So far I love it and highly recommend it to others battling ammonia in the morning.

Now I really believe that it isn't build up from detergent but ammonia salt build up and those needs to be dissolved out of the inserts (or however vinegar does it ).
Ask me how!
Old 10-30-2008, 02:27 PM   #6
leroi_de_larue
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Your post just gave me an epiphany-- I thought my LO had a UTI or something because her diapers have smelled soooo bad, especially when she wakes up with the a.m., ever since we stopped the diaper service and started washing at home. But now I realize that it's probably just the ammonia in the dipes! I'm going to do the vinegar soak next time I wash. Thank you so much!!!
leroi_de_larue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 02:52 PM   #7
mommy2alex2004
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by leroi_de_larue View Post
Your post just gave me an epiphany-- I thought my LO had a UTI or something because her diapers have smelled soooo bad, especially when she wakes up with the a.m., ever since we stopped the diaper service and started washing at home. But now I realize that it's probably just the ammonia in the dipes! I'm going to do the vinegar soak next time I wash. Thank you so much!!!
I am so glad I can help!

I am glad that I found the solution for us and hoped I could help others that kept having ammonia return!!!!
Ask me how!
Old 10-30-2008, 09:45 PM   #8
crazy4dobes
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Are you just soaking your mf inserts? Also, you put the 4 cups in and then fill with water? Or just use the vinegar only?

Come check out Katie's Coveralls
crazy4dobes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 08:02 AM   #9
mommy2alex2004
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4dobes View Post
Are you just soaking your mf inserts? Also, you put the 4 cups in and then fill with water? Or just use the vinegar only?
I put the inserts in the washer and poured 4 cups of vinegar on top then I turned the washer on to the soak setting (I have a FLer). If I had a toploader, I would pour the vinegar in the washer and turn it on to a small setting and then let it soak that way. So, yes, I use water too though I know the FLer uses less water. I soaked all of the inserts I had at the time. I know I had mf and a bamboo fleece night dipe that gets the ammonia smell too. I can't remember if I soaked any hemp or if I even had any at the time but I would if I had it. We don't have hard water here...it is just normal city water with no issues.

This morning's diaper was another morning of absolutely no smell in the morning! We just washed yesterday so I was curious if I would start to smell something this morning but so far, so good. I think I am on to something for us. The bleach was killing the smell for one wash but not getting rid of the salts. Now that the salts are gone, everything smells great! Our nighttime dipes were our only issue!
Ask me how!
Old 11-07-2008, 02:42 PM   #10
manymillers8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I stumbled on this thread while searching for an answer to our ammonia issue. I tried it, and it worked!!! I had tried everything else (rlr, bleach, tto, boiling, bacout, 3 detergents, extra rinses, extra washes, etc), and this seems to have fixed our problem.

to whomever posted this!!