Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-11-2008, 11:34 AM   #11
hunnymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Thank you to whomever suggested a vinegar soak for getting rid of ammonia salts!!

I tried this too and it TOTALLY worked!!! So pleased!!

Advertisement

Old 11-11-2008, 12:23 PM   #12
wendya432
Registered Users
seller

Re: Thank you to whomever suggested a vinegar soak for getting rid of ammonia salts!!

Did you soak them dirty, right out of the pail? Or like a stripping, with clean dipes?
wendya432 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:26 PM   #13
txmom72
Registered Users

My Mood:

Will this work on fitteds and AIOs as well? I have some smell issues going on with them.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:31 PM   #14
hunnymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendya432 View Post
Did you soak them dirty, right out of the pail? Or like a stripping, with clean dipes?
I did! I just added the vinegar to my cold soak that I do before washing. I put 3-4 cups vinegar in my machine, and added my dirty diapers, let soak for a couple hours, then followed my normal wash routine (cold rinse, hot wash w/ cold rinse, extra cold rinse)
Old 11-11-2008, 01:32 PM   #15
hunnymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmom72 View Post
Will this work on fitteds and AIOs as well? I have some smell issues going on with them.
At first I used this just on my inserts, but my pockets and 3 of my fitteds have stink issues, so the next time (and every time since) I've thrown it all in there! I don't have an AIO's so I can't answer for those
Old 11-11-2008, 01:34 PM   #16
mommy2alex2004
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wendya432 View Post
Yes, I did (and do). I just separate my inserts from the rest if I know I need a soak and soak them separately. After the wash, I throw everything else in and do the regular prerinse, wash, rinse cycle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by txmom72 View Post
You can and I have, I just don't do that often since I am scared the vinegar will mess up the elastic if I do it too much that is why I just do the mf and other inserts. I have soaked DS's blueberry trainers with no issues but it was just once so far.
Ask me how!
mommy2alex2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 01:38 PM   #17
txmom72
Registered Users

My Mood:

Thanks! I'll try it this weekend.
Old 11-11-2008, 02:03 PM   #18
ckck
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I just wanted to mention, vinegar works amazingly well, but you have to be careful because it is bad for elastics if used in large amounts. It's great if used every once in awhile though!

An eye for an eye will only make the whole world blind.
― Mahatma Gandhi

Last edited by ckck; 11-11-2008 at 02:15 PM.
ckck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:11 PM   #19
GraceAvaLandon'sMama
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would like to try this on my BG inserts because we have horrible ammonia....but I've heard vinegar is bad to use in hard water. We have "moderately" hard water....will the vinegar help or make things worse??
GraceAvaLandon'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 02:21 PM   #20
mommy2alex2004
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckck View Post
I just wanted to mention, vinegar works amazingly well, but you have to be careful because it is bad for elastics if used in large amounts. It's great if used every once in awhile though!
Yeah, I know. That is why we are talking about inserts. I do use a small amount of vinegar in my regular wash but I made sure to write that I wouldn't do it often to anything with pul or elastic. I did soak DS's blueberry trainers but so far just once. Vinegar imo is like bleach with elastic and pul. Use sparingly or take the risk with the elastic or pul, kwim.
Ask me how!
mommy2alex2004 is offline   Reply With Quote