Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-11-2008, 03:05 PM   #21
hunnymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Thank you to whomever suggested a vinegar soak for getting rid of ammonia salts!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckck View Post
I just wanted to mention, vinegar works amazingly well, but you have to be careful because it is bad for elastics if used in large amounts. It's great if used every once in awhile though!
Good to know! Thx!

Advertisement

Old 11-11-2008, 08:16 PM   #22
megamuffin0225
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Thank you to whomever suggested a vinegar soak for getting rid of ammonia salts!!

It's been awhile since I took organic chemistry, but vinegar (acetic acid) is a weak acid and ammonia is a weak base. Combined, they neutralize each other to produce ammonium acetate!

There may be another element coming into play here, too, which is that the prolonged vinegar soak also kills extra bacteria lurking about, waiting to prey on the salts that give off the ammonia smell. Vinegar sprayed directly onto a surface kills 99% of bacteria!

Last edited by megamuffin0225; 11-11-2008 at 08:25 PM.
megamuffin0225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:20 PM   #23
GraceAvaLandon'sMama
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ok now I really want to try the vinegar soak with my mf inserts that have BAD ammonia....but what is the deal with vinegar and hard water???
GraceAvaLandon'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:01 PM   #24
mommy2alex2004
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by megamuffin0225 View Post
It's been awhile since I took organic chemistry, but vinegar (acetic acid) is a weak acid and ammonia is a weak base. Combined, they neutralize each other to produce ammonium acetate!

There may be another element coming into play here, too, which is that the prolonged vinegar soak also kills extra bacteria lurking about, waiting to prey on the salts that give off the ammonia smell. Vinegar sprayed directly onto a surface kills 99% of bacteria!
Sooo...I loved biology but hated chemistry . Help me out. Are you saying that the combo CREATES salts?
Ask me how!
mommy2alex2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:02 PM   #25
mommy2alex2004
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraceAvaLandon'sMama View Post
Ok now I really want to try the vinegar soak with my mf inserts that have BAD ammonia....but what is the deal with vinegar and hard water???
I don't know. I'd love to help you. I heard that vinegar and hard water don't mix but then someone has posted success with the two. I wish I could help more.
Ask me how!
Old 11-11-2008, 09:05 PM   #26
nmm2112
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Oh, I'm glad I saw this. Vinegar is sooo good for so many things! I need to restock next time i go shopping!
Old 11-11-2008, 09:13 PM   #27
GraceAvaLandon'sMama
Registered Users

My Mood:

Ok so if I try the vinegar, can I put it in the prewash/soak with the BacOut? Or should I just do one or the other?
GraceAvaLandon'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:35 PM   #28
mommy2alex2004
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I found this article that explains why vinegar works. I am still confused about the post earlier but I don't think it creates salts. This article does explain a bit more why vinegar soaks work though.

http://www.fireflydiapers.com/articl...le_vinegar.htm
Ask me how!

Last edited by mommy2alex2004; 02-18-2009 at 07:16 PM. Reason: fixed link
Old 11-11-2008, 09:39 PM   #29
ckck
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I have hard well water here and vinegar was the only thing that worked for me. It's worth a shot!!

An eye for an eye will only make the whole world blind.
― Mahatma Gandhi
ckck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 09:46 PM   #30
ckck
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by megamuffin0225 View Post

So are you saying you should spray vinegar directly on the dipes after wearing? would that help?

An eye for an eye will only make the whole world blind.
― Mahatma Gandhi
ckck is offline   Reply With Quote