Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-03-2006, 05:46 PM   #1
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:
Flouride for babies?

At DS' last WBC, the ped said that his iron was low. She gave us a script for iron, and then asked if we had well water. We told her that we did, and she wanted to know if we wanted a script for iron with fluoride since it's not in our water. I told her I honestly didn't know (although I was leaning towards no), so she went ahead and gave us both.

I haven't gotten then filled yet, but I was wondering what people's opinions were on this. I refuse to buy the Nursery Water b/c it has fluoride in it and I am against it just on the basis of giving chemicals to my son. But if anybody knows of a really good reason I should get it, please do let me know.

Advertisement

KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 05:47 PM   #2
MamaMel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Flouride for babies?

I always gave my son the nursery water I thought flouride was good for their teeth. Now though Im not real sure what Im going to do w/ my DD
MamaMel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 05:50 PM   #3
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

my son took the nursery water and has been given a script for vits/and flouride in them and i havent filled it.
the stuff that flouride is scares me and im not sure i want that in my kids mouths and bodies..danae has never had flouride, i'll check back here and see what others think
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 05:59 PM   #4
TwinKristi
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't give my kids flouride b/c my friend who works at a pediatric dental office said she sees more cases of OVER flouridation than cases where flouride could have helped. My kids teeth turned kinda grey on it and I did NOT like that! Iron and flouride will do that though! Ick!
All my kids have nice teeth and we brush with flouride toothpaste when they're older and they get flouirde at the dentist. We had flouride in our water as a kid but we don't anymore!
Old 11-03-2006, 06:18 PM   #5
titania
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonprysm View Post
At DS' last WBC, the ped said that his iron was low. She gave us a script for iron, and then asked if we had well water. We told her that we did, and she wanted to know if we wanted a script for iron with fluoride since it's not in our water. I told her I honestly didn't know (although I was leaning towards no), so she went ahead and gave us both.

I haven't gotten then filled yet, but I was wondering what people's opinions were on this. I refuse to buy the Nursery Water b/c it has fluoride in it and I am against it just on the basis of giving chemicals to my son. But if anybody knows of a really good reason I should get it, please do let me know.
i don't have an answer or an opinion about the flouride or iron, but was curious--how did she check for low iron?
Old 11-03-2006, 07:02 PM   #6
janerose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We've never done flouride. When we had municipal water & I had to supplement Emi with formula I specifically bought bottled water just so it *wouldn't* have flouride in it. She gets no type of flouride supplement & everyone in our home uses flouride free toothpaste.

Here's a link to the article on Mothering that made us decide to pass on the flouride:

http://www.mothering.com/articles/gr.../fluoride.html

I was given flouride supplements (well water), mouthwash, toothpaste, treatments at the dentist, you name it growing up and my teeth are awful. I have fillings in each and every one of my molars. I also have white spots on my incisors, which someone suggested to me could be from flouride as well.

Honestly, the docs and WIC around our area are really pushy about the flouride thing so I usually just tell them that yes she gets it and leave it at that. I figure it's not really any of their business anyway.

Blessings,
Holly
janerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:05 PM   #7
janerose
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by titania View Post
i don't have an answer or an opinion about the flouride or iron, but was curious--how did she check for low iron?
Not sure how the original posters ped checked, but WIC here checks every 6 months with a finger prick. They prick the middle finger, use one of those little capillary tubes to suck up a couple drops of blood, pop it in a little desk top machine they have, and *poof* instant iron reading. Our ped also had them check when they did the blood draw for Emi's 1 year lead screening. HTH!

Blessings,
Holly
janerose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:12 PM   #8
Timetodance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I switched to city water around 15 mo, after using the pur filter. I would not want to mess with iron levels, if DD was low I would have given her suppliments, but I asked the ped and she said it was up to me so I gave them to her twice and stopped.

I do think some flouride is a good idea once thier molars come in. She also brushes her teeth twice a day with the weleda tooth paste.
Timetodance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:16 PM   #9
SandyG
Moderator at heart, but no longer moderator
The best way I know of to win an argument is to start by being in the right
seller

ive heard horror stories about fluoride so i wouldnt do it.
google it and you can see
SandyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:55 PM   #10
Menfusse
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

There are horror stories for sure about flouride. My kids have had very little, almost no flouride. My oldest was formula fed with distilled water, and so is my youngest. We started out on flouride with both, and they both vomited the whole time. After my 5 year old got older, we made the occasional kool aide with tap water (which is flourinated) and she seeme to do fine. I grew up on well water, and they forced flouride supplements on us. My mom gave them too us, but I always threw them up. So it must be hereditary. So the only flouride I have ever gotten is what is in toothpaste, which I don't swallow. I am 30 and have never had a single cavity....not one!