Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-03-2006, 11:05 PM   #1
9800Emily
Registered Users
seller

We had our first ER visit, questions about antibiotics too

Poor dd, some how she got her finger into dh's computer. Both DH and I were in the room and the fan has a guard on it, but she managed to get it in there. Her finger is skinned from about half way down and it ripped of part of her nail . We decide to go to the Childrens Urgent Care because it was still bleeding, not bad but bleeding, after 20 min and was bruised. It's not broke but they want us to keep it tapped to her other finger for the next few days to give it time to heal.

He also gave us a script for oral antibiotics. He said if she was over a year he wouldn't but since she was only 10 months he was going to. Both DH and I are not sure if we should give her the antibiotics, they are written for 3 times a day for 10 days, it just seems like a lot of medicine for just incase. She has an antibiotic cream for the finger and some iodine to soak/wash it with, shouldn't we be able to prevent infection with that? Would you give the antibiotics to your dc? I was thinking of getting them filled and if her finger looked at all red or starting to get infected I would give them. I'm just not sure about giving antibiotics to her for so long when she would probably be just fine without them.

Advertisement

Old 11-03-2006, 11:12 PM   #2
janendragon
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: We had our first ER visit, questions about antibiotics too

the cream should be enough

sorry you guys had to go through that

SAHM to my crazy toddler
janendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 11:26 PM   #3
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

i would give the antibiotics, i wouldnt want a skin infection to start forming underneat where the cream can not reach. goodluck in whatever you decide, we trust our dr 100% and don't question him when he prescribes things for us or the kids, he knows whats best. i know not all dr's are that great but this is my way so i thought i'd share it.
10 days inst that long, my son was on antibiotics at 4 months when he got a bad bosy hive looking rash.
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 11:44 PM   #4
pinkflamingos77
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet_Fantasy_Fox View Post
i would give the antibiotics, i wouldnt want a skin infection to start forming underneat where the cream can not reach. goodluck in whatever you decide, we trust our dr 100% and don't question him when he prescribes things for us or the kids, he knows whats best. i know not all dr's are that great but this is my way so i thought i'd share it.
10 days inst that long, my son was on antibiotics at 4 months when he got a bad bosy hive looking rash.

My son was admitted to wisconsin childrens hospital at 4 months because he got a staph infenction from a small pimple that he had on his bum. After that whole experience. I take skin problems very seriously.

Last edited by pinkflamingos77; 11-03-2006 at 11:45 PM.
pinkflamingos77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 12:06 AM   #5
iris0110
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I'm having a hard time picturing how bad it really is. If there is a large amount of skin off, and given her age, even with my distrust of antibiotics I would probably give them to her. If it isn't alot of skin and is easy to clean I would skip them. If you give her the antibiotics be sure to either feed her yogurt (if she can have it) and lots of acidopholis to protect her gut from yeasties. I am sooo sorry your little one got hurt.
iris0110 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 12:15 AM   #6
loni1090
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Sorry you had to go through that. If you have any doubts, can you talk to your pediatrician? I trust my Pediatrician so I would call and talk to him first.
Old 11-04-2006, 12:36 AM   #7
mommyto3girls
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't, but that is me.

If you do give them to her I second what the pp said. Give her acidolphils, if she is still nursing you should take it also.
mommyto3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 04:16 AM   #8
desertblossom79
Registered Users
seller

Yup. I'd give them too esp. for a young one. A skin infection can get out of control fast which is why I wouldn't wait until it was a problem already. My mother burned her finger and 3 days later had a life threatening blood infection. It didn't take long at all and she was an adult. The reason you need to given so many doses is because for antibiotics to work properly you need to keep the level in their system pretty consistant. Most adult antibiotics are at least twice a day for this reason. If you look at how much actual medicine there is per cc, you'll probably be surprised at how little you are actually giving at each dose. It's likely very diluted to a) make it easier to mask the flavor and b) makes it harder to accidentally overdose. They could make it more concentrated and you could give less but then even the slightest mismeasurement could overdose your child.

Anywho good luck what ever you decide.

Jeni

Patrick (9), Sean (7) Caitlyn (6), Brooke (1)Owen (4/08)
desertblossom79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 05:27 AM   #9
mom2zephyr
Registered Users
seller

I wouldn't give it. But that's me. Keep it dressed and clean, and use the antibiotic cream you have.
What's the big difference between 10 months and 12 months?? Use common sense, know the signs of infection. The wound should be getting less red, not more red. No additional swelling, heat, or more pain.
I work in an ICU and trust no dr. 100%!
Sylvia : -Mom to 17, 12, 7, 3, #5 in the fall
mom2zephyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 07:48 AM   #10
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

My son skinned his foot really bad and they were really worried about cellulitis (like gangrene)...skin infections can be really, really serious. I'd probably use the topical ointment and do the very best I could at keeping it clean...I'd watch it very, very closely and at the FIRST sign of anything changing - give the antibiotics. I know some people trust their doctors completely, but I think our ped is really quick to medicate just to get us out of their hair...like he thinks it's what i want to hear and he's just appeasing me. He tried to give me prescription strength benadryl-like drug to get my baby (@ 9 months) to sleep through the night...wanted me to drug him to sleep....needless to say, I didn't get that filled...

Anyway, good luck mama.