Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-01-2008, 11:42 AM   #1
sweetangelfriend
Registered Users

My Mood:
Sign language question

We've got some concerns with my dd's hearing. I've already alerted the pediatrician about it and she has an appointment with the pediatrician on Wednesday. They'll probably be referring her for a hearing test with an audiologist. I know quite a bit of sign language and my question is this. When can a child actually learn sign language and understand it? My dd is 5 months old. Can she actually understand sign language this early?

Advertisement

cd'ing, bf'ing, hsing, SAHM of Chip (8/9/04), Josh (12/16/05), and Nevaeh our miracle 7 weeks early (5/25/08)
sweetangelfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:15 PM   #2
meghann8
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sign language question

Yes, she can definitely start learning signs now. She may not be able to do them for a few months, but she definitely has the ability to understand them. Babies understand language a long time before they are able to express it themselves.
meghann8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 12:25 PM   #3
mstngmol
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I taught baby signs and am a huge believer in it.
Your dd can understand what you sign, babies are so much smarter than we think. The key to success is to make sure you are being consistent. It may seem as though your signing is a "waste of time", but I assure you she is learning. I started to sign with my dd at birth and it took until she was 7 months to sign back. She is know 4, but at 12 months she was signing three word sentences with a vocab of over 30 words.
Sorry to go on and on....
So, yes she can understand signs this early!
Old 11-02-2008, 11:24 AM   #4
sweetangelfriend
Registered Users

My Mood:

I actually need to learn more myself, but that won't be hard. I've found TONS of free resources online for learning sign language. For some reason it seems like she understands more of the sign language than she does the verbal talking. Could that be possible if she does have hearing problems? She pays more attention to me signing to her than if I talk to her, if ya know what I mean.

cd'ing, bf'ing, hsing, SAHM of Chip (8/9/04), Josh (12/16/05), and Nevaeh our miracle 7 weeks early (5/25/08)
Old 11-02-2008, 12:29 PM   #5
ShamroxGirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

D is signing some at 11.5 mo. He can sign "milk" and "more"

we're not religiously signing but we do sign a lot.

***4***8***12***16**20***24***28***32***36 ***40
ShamroxGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 12:14 AM   #6
snangel
Registered Users

My Mood:

My youngest is deaf, we knew at birth, and began signing right away. he is now 2 1/2 and he signs more then most 2 year olds speak. He started to understand fairly early, and we just kept at it. i would start now if you have concerns, either way it isn't a bad thing to know.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:39 PM   #7
tonewinwy
Registered Users

My Mood:

My older Nephew was/is delayed in Speech when he first started getting Speech once a week the Therapists would also teach him simple signs like please,want,more,and thank you. Please and more is what he used the most lol lol. He still uses the sign for Please but almost says what it is that he wants or tries too.

My younger Nephew is very delayed in Speech he's also learned the same signs his brother did more and please are also his favorite signs. Since he's so delayed my sister needs to get her butt in gear and get him some flash cards of random pictures so he can show us what he wants and needs. She's been saying for weeks she needed to do that.
tonewinwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 07:37 PM   #8
sweetangelfriend
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm glad now that I'm trying to teach my dd signing cause we just found out that our 3 yo ds is autistic and he's been learning sign for quite some time. This will make it easier for the kids to communicate.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:44 PM   #9
Tavie and Ellie's Mom
Registered Users

My Mood:

I'm 15 credits away from getting my Interpreter's degree and I have been signing to both my girls since they were born, and they sign very well. They were able to communicate easier and faster it seemed when they were little (like asking for milk..etc). I know Target sells some cute sign language picture books for kids (they aren't strictly ASL, but they are easy for kids to follow). You should also check your library for books and DVDs for your oldest
Old 01-20-2009, 08:12 PM   #10
susansabrina
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I started signing with my DS when he was 6 months old. I just added the sign word into my everyday speech. DS started signing back at 11 months and quickly started adding signs into his vocabulary daily. DS is now 2.5yo and has some speech delays but thanks to the sign language only his speech is delayed not his language per say. I love that signing has made him more observant of others and that I can "instruct" him silently. When we feel like yelling we can sign to each other instead and if he is being inappropriate somewhere I can let him know silently without embarresment on either side.
ISO:Planet Lunchbox, zorb, Small Lunette cup, ribbon for hairbows, bento style egg molds.IHA:Sm MEAF, Med MEAF, ME Toddlease, Columbia shorts XL womens, xl maternity swimsuit, Lg Zolowear ring sling in blue/grey, 2 Robeez 12-18 mo boys, wool wash, dog costume
susansabrina is offline   Reply With Quote