Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 02-03-2009, 10:48 AM   #11
mlandorf
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Sign language question

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonewinwy View Post
My older Nephew was/is delayed in Speech when he first started getting Speech once a week the Therapists would also teach him simple signs like please,want,more,and thank you. Please and more is what he used the most lol lol. He still uses the sign for Please but almost says what it is that he wants or tries too.

My younger Nephew is very delayed in Speech he's also learned the same signs his brother did more and please are also his favorite signs. Since he's so delayed my sister needs to get her butt in gear and get him some flash cards of random pictures so he can show us what he wants and needs. She's been saying for weeks she needed to do that.
i love the signing time dvd series...many libraries have them. And msu has a free online video dictionary http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/word.htm

Advertisement

mlandorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:55 AM   #12
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Dd1 started signing at 6 months (milk) and then more and more as she got older. We didn't sign much with dd2 but now we have been signing with her for the last month as she is speech delayed and EI would be thrilled if she would start signing at least (and so would we). So far every once in a while she seems to make a sign that counts but then she won't repeat it for days.
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:43 PM   #13
3girlymom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavie and Ellie's Mom View Post
I'm 15 credits away from getting my Interpreter's degree and I have been signing to both my girls since they were born, and they sign very well. They were able to communicate easier and faster it seemed when they were little (like asking for milk..etc). I know Target sells some cute sign language picture books for kids (they aren't strictly ASL, but they are easy for kids to follow). You should also check your library for books and DVDs for your oldest
Cool beans! I got my B.A. in Sign Language Studies/Interpreting Concentration back in 1998. I worked for a year before babies came, and never looked back. I sure hope you love interpreting. I loved the language...but did not like the interpreting end at all. I mainly worked in educational interpreting. College level, the teachers saw you as a threat and hated you. Elem. level, the school staff just blamed everything on the deaf kids. This was more fun, but the adults were a pain to deal with.

Anyway, Signing Time is great. I highly recommend those videos. The Joy of Signing...don't touch it. That is NOT a good signing resource. And that Baby Signing stuff...wouldn't use that either.

Signing Time has the best stuff out there.
3girlymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 11:12 PM   #14
Melhen
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlymom View Post
Anyway, Signing Time is great. I highly recommend those videos. The Joy of Signing...don't touch it. That is NOT a good signing resource. And that Baby Signing stuff...wouldn't use that either.

Signing Time has the best stuff out there.
Thanks for the recommendation and the ones to avoid! I also use small handmade PECS cards.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:41 AM   #15
tonewinwy
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlandorf View Post
i love the signing time dvd series...many libraries have them. And msu has a free online video dictionary http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/word.htm
Our Library doesn't have any of the Signing Time videos/dvds I can ask them to order some and rent them for free that away and other peeps can watch them as well. My sister just got a Signing Time video in the mail the other day. Probably watch it with my Nephews next time I'm over at my sisters.
It's OK, next time I'll make you listen. I wish that it were in the power of all children to say that to their parents and to know that indeed they would be heard as we were in those wonderful days on Waltons Mountain.Narrator The Waltons (From the Runaway in Season 3 Eposide 4.)
tonewinwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 06:33 PM   #16
Sakari
Registered Users

I started with "potty" at 4 mo and at 5 mo she started trying to make it back at me. She understands for sure! Now we've added "milk" and she's done that one a couple times, very clearly once. we also use some others, but milk and potty are the most consistent and the ones she's used back to us.

we don't use any curriculum per say, just signs I know. Can I ask why to avoid the Baby Sign stuff? and the Joy of Signing?

I sell Baltic Amber jewelry!
Sakari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:55 PM   #17
isabelsmomma
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakari View Post
I started with "potty" at 4 mo and at 5 mo she started trying to make it back at me. She understands for sure! Now we've added "milk" and she's done that one a couple times, very clearly once. we also use some others, but milk and potty are the most consistent and the ones she's used back to us.

we don't use any curriculum per say, just signs I know. Can I ask why to avoid the Baby Sign stuff? and the Joy of Signing?
I am an interpreter as well as a mommy to an almost 11 month old. My DD signs "milk", "more", "ball" and "cheese" and can put two signs together- like "more milk" when we are nursing and finish on one side.

Baby signs sometimes use made up signs instead of real signs. These can be confusing if your child does have a hearing loss or speech delay. The Joy of Signing is an outdated resource.

Glad to see there are signing mamas on here!

Lisa, WOHM to Isabel 5-08
isabelsmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:01 PM   #18
Serendipitous Creationz
Registered Users
Formerly: ****mom
seller

My Mood:

I started signing pretty much from day 1... more for me at first to get into the hang of it and learn them along with her... she signed for the first time at 4 months.... She learned to communicate well early and she has a broad vocabulary now at just over 2 ... I believe its beneficial even if there isn't a hearing deficit
Serendipitous Creationz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:11 PM   #19
dragondance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

It's been about 2 months since I answered this myself, and now dd is signing quite a bit (hi/goodbye, up, down, milk, more, food, please, shoes/outside, sleep, "more food" together, and some I'm still translating), and she is pointing to things and imitating a lot now. In the same amount of time, she started making consonant sounds and just today started with "da" for "dog/animal" as her only real word besides "uh-oh" or "hi." So signing is going muuuuuch better
She also failed a hearing test and ended up having a symptom-less double ear infection so once that cleared up I bet that helped a bit too.
Think you've got the LOWEST rate on your phone/Internet/TV/security? PM me & I will find you at least one lower rate (for FREE) or I'll PP you $5!! Discounts on gas & electric coming soon! I cut my own bills almost in half!

Last edited by dragondance; 04-05-2009 at 08:13 PM.
dragondance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 08:39 PM   #20
sweetangelfriend
Registered Users

My Mood:

My dd who is 10 months has started signing daddy and more. It's so cool to see her communicating like this!!

cd'ing, bf'ing, hsing, SAHM of Chip (8/9/04), Josh (12/16/05), and Nevaeh our miracle 7 weeks early (5/25/08)
sweetangelfriend is offline   Reply With Quote