Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-04-2006, 08:01 AM   #1
Laniemel
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Cutting your dc's hair?

I was just wondering how many mamas are having to cut their kids hair at a young age? I had to give dd her first hair cut when she was about six months old because the top of her mohawk had grown down into her eyes. She's had two since including last night, which was a horrible experience. Dh had to hold down her arms and I had to try to hold her head still while I cut her bangs. Her bangs are kind of short for how I like them, but since the rest of her hair is starting to get longer, it looks cute. Also, she has a "rat tail" that grows at the back. It's a group of about 5 hairs that are an inch longer than the rest of it. So how old was your dc when you starting doing haircuts and how did you do it?

Advertisement

Laniemel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 09:24 AM   #2
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Cutting your dc's hair?

Ds1 was about 14 months, I think...when he had his first haircut. I planned on taking him to the salon (just the same place dh and I go in the mall). The night before, I trimmed some of it on the side or in the back (can't remember) and saved it for his baby book. I didn't really care what it looked like since we were going to the salon the next morning. He's had regular haircuts since then...I thought it was ridiculous to pay so much for a haircut when they usually would leave long pieces..from him moving and them getting fed up. So, I bought a set of clippers & guards and started doing it at home myself. My second got his first haircut (which was just a trim around his ears) at about...9 months or so. I saved a lock of his hair when I really cut it, not just trim. And I've always done his at home. Every time I do it, I get a little bit better...so, I plan to do it for awhile Saves a bunch of money because they need a trim (around ears and neckline at least) every 3-4 weeks.
Old 11-04-2006, 09:31 AM   #3
1happymama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD had her first trim at 13.5 months just because the back had grown faster than the top and sides and it looked like she had a mullet!
Since then she hasn't had another and she's almost 3 yo.

DS had to have his head shaved for surgery at 5 weeks old but got his first cut from us at about 7 months old and another since then at 9 months old...he's actually due for another (he actually likes the clippers). Hubby likes to keep him "clean cut" and it grows pretty fast.
1happymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 10:13 AM   #4
urchin_grey
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1happymama View Post
DD had her first trim at 13.5 months just because the back had grown faster than the top and sides and it looked like she had a mullet!
This is exactly what I had to do with Bram when he was smaller but starting at about 3mo. He's never had a real haircut though... just to trim it up in the back. I guess if we had wanted it short, then would have "had to cut it" but we like it long so we haven't.
urchin_grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 10:25 AM   #5
jls~Kain~Drake
Registered Users

My Mood:

My oldest said he wants to grow his hair out....so the last 'haircut' was just a trim around the sides and the back to keep him from looking like a hobo.
Old 11-04-2006, 10:25 AM   #6
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We haven't yet...

DOULA in training!

HCG Diet works! Ask me how.
greenkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 11:29 AM   #7
ashkash
Registered Users
seller

I cut the back of DD's hair at around 6 months, just because she was growing a mullet in the back! It was to the point that I felt it was detracting from her cuteness, because it looked so funky. I just sat her in her Bumbo seat, gave her a toy, and snipped it off. Saved it for the baby book of course!
#5 Due 11/2012 - It's a GIRL!

ashkash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 01:42 PM   #8
GrowingUpMad
If everyone was the same the world would be a VERY boring place.
seller

My Mood:

Ds got his first haircut on his first birthday. He had the most beautiful ringlet curls and I did not want to cut them but they were getting in the way. I didn;t want to mess up so I took him to a salon where we took pics and saved the curls. His father would cut it after that until one BAD mishap and now he goes to the salon all the time.

Dd got her one and only haircut right before Christmas last year, she was 3 years, 3 months old. We really wanted to wait until Kindergarten but the ends weren't doing to good. I was scared I'd mess up (still am) so we went to a salon where she freaked out thinking they were going to cut it like a boy (thus the reason she has yet to get another cut).

I am just to scared to try more than a buzz cut and since ds is too old for that now and the other 2 are girls we will stick with the salon.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:11 PM   #9
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:

ds was about 13 months when he got his first haircut.
danae hasn't had one yet, although her hair has fallen a ton she will not get a haircut unless the new hair coming in makes the whole thing look really uneven..lol
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 02:21 PM   #10
Getz
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We trimmed Nicky's bangs when he was a few weeks old (and we did a terrible job!). He had his first real hair cut at 6mos and gets one every month. He isn't a fan of them (he hates to be restrained), but is getting more used it them. I have a thing with boys and long hair (not my style), so until Nicky is old enough to ask for and care for longer hair, I am keeping it nice and short.