Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-05-2006, 06:54 PM   #11
Hayley
Registered Users
seller

Re: How fast?

After Noah was born I had 2 beers right after I BF'd him then 2 hours later I pumped and dumped. I don't think he was affected at all. I read somewhere that it is safe to P&D 2 hours later.

Advertisement

Old 11-05-2006, 07:17 PM   #12
MyGlorylife
Registered Users
Formerly: WrapHappy
seller
seller

My Mood:

Basic food consuption water/food takes around 7 hours to turn into BrM (breastmilk)
However things that cross your blood stream ie alchol, caffine, nicotine, drugs in general including come over the counter drugs, are in your breastmilk as long as it is in your bloodstream. Somethings are more immediate than others- most everything crosses over in 30 minutes or less. It will continue to deposite small to significant amounts of what ever the substance is into your bm as long as it is in your system soooo.... pumping and dumping does nothing really as your next batch of milk will still be tainted with it if it is still in your blood stream.
Depending on the concuption of such things depends on how much goes into your BrM and for how long.
In general atleast with alchol the occasional light drink is nothing to really worry about as long as your babe is over 3 months as before then their livers are still a bit lacking in full development.
anytime you are still feeling the effects of said items it is still in your blood stream and thus still transfering to your BrM.
Nicotine can make caffine consuption worst and can also lower your milk supply in general.

Hope that helps!...Minda
Old 11-05-2006, 08:52 PM   #13
peetred
Registered Users
seller

I know that alcohol peaks in your milk supply around 3 hours after consuming. But one drink will not affect baby with alcohol. I wonder if it's the same with foods? not sure.
Momma to Gregory, Ezekiel, & Edward (UC), EDD mid Oct (UP/UC #2)
ISO/IHA
peetred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 09:35 PM   #14
tessa1002
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrapHappy View Post
Basic food consuption water/food takes around 7 hours to turn into BrM (breastmilk)
However things that cross your blood stream ie alchol, caffine, nicotine, drugs in general including come over the counter drugs, are in your breastmilk as long as it is in your bloodstream. Somethings are more immediate than others- most everything crosses over in 30 minutes or less. It will continue to deposite small to significant amounts of what ever the substance is into your bm as long as it is in your system soooo.... pumping and dumping does nothing really as your next batch of milk will still be tainted with it if it is still in your blood stream.
Depending on the concuption of such things depends on how much goes into your BrM and for how long.
In general atleast with alchol the occasional light drink is nothing to really worry about as long as your babe is over 3 months as before then their livers are still a bit lacking in full development.
anytime you are still feeling the effects of said items it is still in your blood stream and thus still transfering to your BrM.
Nicotine can make caffine consuption worst and can also lower your milk supply in general.

Hope that helps!...Minda

tessa1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 09:54 PM   #15
momof4
Registered Users
seller

What about food sensitivities? I think DS is sensitive to my having dairy, but sometimes it seems to be something else, too. If I see extra spitting up & fussiness, should I be paying attention to what I ate at the last meal, or 7 hours ago?
Old 11-06-2006, 07:08 AM   #16
peetred
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof4 View Post
What about food sensitivities? I think DS is sensitive to my having dairy, but sometimes it seems to be something else, too. If I see extra spitting up & fussiness, should I be paying attention to what I ate at the last meal, or 7 hours ago?
It wouldn't hurt to pay attention. But, I went through a period where I thought for sure something I was eating was affecting DS. It drove me crazy trying to find out what it was. After I cut everything out he still had upset tummies and that. It's normal for babies no matter what. So don't drive yourself crazy trying to find a culprit of something you are eating. Sometimes they just have upset tummies and we don't know why.
Momma to Gregory, Ezekiel, & Edward (UC), EDD mid Oct (UP/UC #2)
ISO/IHA
peetred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 07:21 AM   #17
MyGlorylife
Registered Users
Formerly: WrapHappy
seller
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof4 View Post
yes, infact, many babies will spit up more or seem to have tummy troubles more during certain time of the day- work yourself back 7 hours. And see if there may be some triggers. Change yoyur meal menu around the next day and see what happens.

Like a pp said though babies often just have tummy troubles for a few months or more. I had 2 kids that lived on gas drops for the first 4 months of their lives. Although I could avoid some foods to make things easier pretty much everything just gave them gas!...Minda
Old 11-06-2006, 09:16 AM   #18
tjcjlc99
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

great info ladies, thnks
Old 11-06-2006, 09:50 AM   #19
momof4
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjcjlc99 View Post
great info ladies, thnks
Old 11-06-2006, 11:07 AM   #20
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Well, I am not a big advocate of pumping and dumping. That would indicate that something is wrong with your BM. BM is the best unlike formula which many moms who P&D use to suppliment when they dump milk. I read about how it wasn't necessary somewhere.

I personally don't do caffine, nicotine, or alcohol for religious reasons and personal beliefs, but if I did, I wouldn't P&D.

I know you said you didn't drink anything just putting it out there.

DOULA in training!

HCG Diet works! Ask me how.
greenkmt is offline   Reply With Quote