Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-04-2008, 07:45 AM   #1
catalina
Registered Users

My Mood:
HOw do i prep my new indian cotton prefolds?

I just bought my new prefolds and will be washing my diapers for the first time. they have never been washed. i forgot what im supposed to do with them. i remember that im supposed to wash them 5 times... but are these five times with soap? with water?? help please!!

Advertisement

catalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:26 AM   #2
NoellaBelle
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: HOw do i prep my new indian cotton prefolds?

When I prepped mine, I think I used 1/2 of the detergent I normally use. I did wash, wash, dry, wash, wash, dry....and maybe one more wash/dry. I've heard of people boiling them to prep them quicker, but I just did it the recommended way from GMD.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:27 AM   #3
**just me**
Banned-Previously banned user mama23boys

Wash on hot with detergent probably 2x then dry 1-2 of them. once its dry try pouring water on them, if the water dosent absorb wash and repeat. keep doing this until they absorb....for me its taken 3-4 wash cycles.
**just me** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:37 AM   #4
Decembrr
Registered Users
seller

I'm a boiler. I use 3 big pots, bring (and keep) water to a rapid boil, toss diapers in, and boil for about 30 minutes...stirring around a bit every so often. Then, carry big, hot pot of water and dipes and dump into the washing machine. Wash on hot (with desired soap), rinse (maybe twice, if you desire), dry and DONE. Prepped. Depending on pot size, I can fit 3 dipes in a smaller pot, 4-5 (infant size PF's) in a taller pot. I just put on all three big pots and can get a dozen done in 30 minutes.

Beats washing, washing, drying, washing, washing, washing, drying...blah!
Decembrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:17 AM   #5
mishnelly
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decembrr View Post
I'm a boiler. I use 3 big pots, bring (and keep) water to a rapid boil, toss diapers in, and boil for about 30 minutes...stirring around a bit every so often. Then, carry big, hot pot of water and dipes and dump into the washing machine. Wash on hot (with desired soap), rinse (maybe twice, if you desire), dry and DONE. Prepped. Depending on pot size, I can fit 3 dipes in a smaller pot, 4-5 (infant size PF's) in a taller pot. I just put on all three big pots and can get a dozen done in 30 minutes.

Beats washing, washing, drying, washing, washing, washing, drying...blah!
Do you know if you can use this method when prepping fitteds and pockets?
mishnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:19 PM   #6
Decembrr
Registered Users
seller

I don't think I would boil fitteds or pockets. I'm not saying you couldn't... because maybe it'd be OK. BUT, I'd be concerned about the elastic being boiled, and possibly any hook and loop that might be attached, etc.
It's *my* understanding that fitteds and pockets (especially) shouldn't *need* prepped like PF's do...not to the same extreme. Pockets shouldn't require a prep like that at all, since the pockets aren't absorbent in any event...it's the insert that needs to soak. Most fitteds would be made from fabrics that SHOULD have been somewhat prepped before being made (if it's a shrinking fabric, as most are, in hugely varying degrees), but even then, they STILL don't *usually* have the repelling oils on the fibers like PF's do, especially unbleached PF's. (bleached ones usually require less prepping than unbleached)

PF's have to be prepped SO much initially or they just won't absorb anything...water or urine will just bead right off of them because of of the natural oils in the *raw* fibers used to make them.

Boiling them seems to get them fluffed up and shrunk down *just about* all their going to do in the one process.
Decembrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:37 PM   #7
mishnelly
Registered Users

Thank you for your thoughts on that! Would you suggest I boil my inserts with the prefolds? Should I wash the pockets and fitteds more than once to prep them? Thanks again!
mishnelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 12:43 PM   #8
Emmaleigh3699
Registered Users
seller

if they're unbleached they're going to take longer to prep (7+ washes or double boiling time) bleached can be boiled for 15-20minutes and then washed with detergent and dried and be ready to go - or wash with detergent 3-5 times and then extra rinses til there are no bubbles (dry between washes).
Emmaleigh3699 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 02:58 PM   #9
catalina
Registered Users

My Mood:

thanx guys... well i boiled mine for 20mins. now im washing with soap on cold, i hadnt read this yet... is that ok?? do i just wash on hot after that??
catalina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:46 PM   #10
Michelle_M
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I use un-bleached indian prefolds. I washed and dried like 5 times. But I only used like a quarter of the detergent I would if they had been dirty (used).

They continued to quilt up and gain absorbancy for a few more washes, but the 5 times was good enough to start.

God bless,
Michelle

Send a custom greeting card from Just Because Stationery!Because you don't need a reason to show you care. Caring is reason enough!!!
Michelle_M is offline   Reply With Quote