Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-05-2006, 07:36 AM   #1
Keira's mommy
Registered Users

My Mood:
Nursing to sleep

Just curious aobut who nurses their babe to sleep. I read and hear so much aobut how your are not "supposed" to do this or they will "think this is the only way to fall asleep" I DO nurse Keira to sleep every night (she is just about 5 months) It is just so much easier and pleasant instead of pulling her from the breast and fighting with her to go to sleep. I also rock her for about 20 min before I put her in her crib. I TRY to stick to the AP style of parenting and never saw this (nursing to sleep) as a problem, but now I am getting so much negative feedback about nursing to sleep that I wonder what other BFing moms do?

Thanks!- Melissa

Advertisement

Keira's mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 08:02 AM   #2
tatumsmom
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Nursing to sleep

DD is almost 9 mths. and just recently she has decided to fall asleep on her own after nursing, she kind of rolls around and talks herself to sleep. We nursed to sleep for 8 mths., now she does it on her own and I am sure she will want to NTS again next month. IMO, you should do what feels right for you and your child. You sound like you are a great mama, I would not worry about it!
Jennifer: BFing, CDing, BWing, CSing SAHM, Expecting #2 in Jan 09!
tatumsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 08:20 AM   #3
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:

I nurse both of mine to sleep at night. Just like everything else people caution you about, she will grow out of it or find another way to do it. I agree with pp, do what feels right to you! Everything will be fine.
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 09:29 AM   #4
jkelstaten
Registered Users

she'll grow out of it eventually. She's not going to nurse forever....... Both of mine would fall asleep nursing (or with a bottle for DD#1) and now they both fall asleep great. What I have found with mine is that they need to know I'm near before they fall asleep. If I'm in another room then they can't fall asleep. (But I think there's a lot of reasons for that...totally unrelated to nursing)

What I *tried* to do was always cuddle them with the same blanket or hold a toy while they nursed so that when they woke in the middle of the night they could comfort themselves back to sleep (didn't work for those two, but I'll still do it with the next one )
Old 11-05-2006, 09:36 AM   #5
TheRossFamily
Registered Users
seller

Most of the time my little one falls asleep nursing, so I guess I nurse her to sleep. She is capable of going to sleep on her own. If she has nursed recently and isn't interested in nursing again, but is obviously tired, I just lay her in her crib. I've never been very good at scheduling naptimes... But that's a different story! She goes down easily for dad and babysitters, too. I think sometimes the trouble can be, if they won't go to sleep in any other way, then it gets real difficult to use a babysitter. I say, if it works, keep doing it!
TheRossFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 09:51 AM   #6
Ontariomama
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Nathan is EIGHTEEN months and still nurses to sleep 97% of the time! lol

Sometimes he'll just crash, and fall asleep wherever he is, but when it's actually bedtime or naptime, he needs to have a nurse. When we go to BED, he usually nurses and then rolls away to go to sleep, but if we're downstairs on the sofa at naptime, he doesn't usually let go until he wakes up! He's pretty attached to his na-nas...
Old 11-05-2006, 10:13 AM   #7
Lmakes5
Registered Users
seller

My oldest nursed to sleep until he weaned at 22 months. It was the last nursing session he gave up. We never had a problem getting him to nap or go to sleep on his own after we weaned. DH or I rocked him to sleep after he weaned until he was probably 2.5 years old. After we quit rocking to sleep either DH or I would go in and lay in bed w/him until he went to sleep for probably 2 months then we even stopped doing that. He goes to sleep just fine and has it has never been an issue. With DS#2 he only occasionally nursed to sleep from the start. Then when my milk dried up at about 6 months (due to a surprise PG and terrible MS) he still didn't go to sleep w/a bottle. He just got sleepy and we laid him in bed and off to sleep he went. DD is the same although we are still nursing. She doesn't go to sleep nursing unless she is just completely exhausted. Otherwise she just nurses until she starts to doze off and then gets fussy and I go lay her down.
Hmmmm guess I said all that to say, if nursing to sleep feels right, do it. You're not harming you child and they will be able to go to sleep on their own when they're older.
Personally I've never understood all the hue and cry about not nursing to sleep. It's never really made sense to me that so many in the AP groups insist on NOT nursing to sleep.
Old 11-05-2006, 10:29 AM   #8
KnottyLDSMama
Peachy with a side of keen, that would be me
Formerly: Moonprysm
seller
seller

My Mood:

DS (7 months today!) nurses to sleep all the time. He won't sleep any other way. Personally, I'd rather him nurse to sleep than use a pacifier we might never be able to take away. This way, he'll stop when he's ready. Sometimes it can be hard for others to watch him, but most of the time, if I'm not around, he does just fine. But if I'm there, I better give him nursies! lol
KnottyLDSMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 10:51 AM   #9
mama23boys
Banned
seller

joes almost 10months old and up till recently was NTS. the last 3 nights he's been in my lap facing out and i bounce him to JUST sleeping, then he goes in his bed and goes right to sleep.

i dont know if this will change in a few days or a few weeks but its whats working for now.
mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 01:17 PM   #10
kht2006
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

DD nurses to sleep sometimes and falls asleep on her own sometimes. At night she prefers to nurse to sleep though. It's working for us and I know it won't last forever. She falls asleep for others without nursing, or will eat about 1/2 ounce of EBM from a bottle and then crash. If it is working for you then that's great. Karen
kht2006 is offline   Reply With Quote