Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-05-2006, 10:56 PM   #1
MommyMommyMommy
Registered Users
seller

Is he weaning himself?

My ds is 13 months old and has never been a baby that loves to nurse.
He has never comfort nursed (nourishment only and when he's done, he'll have nothing to do with it).
He has never asked to nurse (he doesn't say many words, but I've always called it 'yummy-yummy' and he's never attempted to make any sounds like that).
He has never initiated a nursing session. By this I mean that he'll be hungry and nurse to eat but he's never pulled at my shirt, he's never tried to get to the breast through the shirt, etc.
He fusses when I sit down to nurse him, no matter what position I'm in. This is even when I know he is hungry.
Lately, I'll get him to latch on but he won't stay on long enough for my milk to let down. Then he's gone again and he couldn't care less if I nurse him or not.

On Friday, he nursed to go down for a nap around 1pm, then I tried to nurse him around 5:30pm before we took him to my mom's (date night!) and he didn't want anything to do with it. So he didn't nurse until I latched him on when we got home around 11pm. Yikes!

Is he ready to wean? I feel like if I didn't make the effort to nurse him, he wouldn't even care

He's my 3rd child but my first who would ever latch on. I know I am blessed to have made it this far, but I wasn't planning on weaning this soon.

Does anyone have any advice or experience to offer me?

Advertisement

MommyMommyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 11:08 PM   #2
OnlyaMommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is he weaning himself?

Im dealing with the exact same thing! London will not nurse for no more than a mintue or two, I know he is getting no milk.

I have begun taking fengreek and blessed thistle for the past two days, I have also been pumping, and not getting much of anything! (Like 1 oz)

I dont know if I should just let him wean himeslf or keep pushing him to nurse?

I wish I had more advice for you, but I guess ill just crawl in the boat with you and watch this thread.
Old 11-05-2006, 11:09 PM   #3
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Hmmm he might be definitely cutting some sessions out. I wouldn't give up quite yet, even if he nurses only once a day, he is still getting some good stuff. If he seems to be always too busy, maybe try a quiet room or laying down?? Would he nurse at night if he slept with you??

I don't know I have a 16 month old who is attached to his "din din" and if he is bored, hungry, sad, mad, anything he wants to nurse, so I don't have a lot of advice for you.

13 month is long time of just mama milk and that's awesome WTG Mama!

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 07:05 AM   #4
peetred
Registered Users
seller

I agree with above. I wouldn't quit just yet. Just follow his lead. If he only wants to nurse a few times a day now then do that. I know I have read a discussion like this before and they usually are not weaning themselves, they are transitioning. He is still getting all that excellent stuff in your milk, even if he only nurses a couple times. Good luck!
Momma to Gregory, Ezekiel, & Edward (UC), EDD mid Oct (UP/UC #2)
ISO/IHA
peetred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 08:45 AM   #5
Mum2my2boys
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I agree with the others. I wouldnt give up yet. Just keep offering and see what happens. My DS was the same way, he had off weeks when he barely nursed at all and we made it to 21 months
Mum2my2boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 10:49 AM   #6
greenkmt
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I would say he is just busy. Let him nurse and no, I don't think he is weaning.

DOULA in training!

HCG Diet works! Ask me how.
greenkmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 09:31 PM   #7
MommyMommyMommy
Registered Users
seller

Bad day for nursing at my house today

DS nursed OK when he first woke up (he slept the whole night last night from 8pm until 7pm so I nursed him right when he got up but then he was still hungry for breakfast.

I tried about 6 times to nurse him today and he wanted none of it. He'd nurse for a second then pull off and start looking around and talking, but never stayed on long enough to get my milk to let down (I've always had a slow let down and I'm sure the stress of him not nursing is just making it slower).

Then we layed down to nurse to sleep and this has always been his best nursing session but he wasn't really into it.

I just keep feeling like this is the end
MommyMommyMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 12:58 PM   #8
Mommy2JJ
Registered Users
sitesupporter
seller
seller

Aww mama big . Don't beat yourself up for this. The best thing you can do is relax and just go with the flow. He may sense you feeling uptight about nursing, so I would just let him do the leading. You don't need to quit totally offering, but just go with what he wants to do.....you are doing the best for your son by going at his pace and nursing him whenever he wants.....that's all you can do and you're doing it!! He may pick back up or he might be starting to wean, no matter what you are doing all you can do.

Mommy2JJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:08 PM   #9
mommy21princess
Registered Users
seller

I just wanted to say that I've been going through the EXACT same thing. EVERYTHING to a T is just like my dd. Sometimes I almost feel that I"m trying to force her to nurse. I'm not but sometimes that's how I feel. After the first few weeks (1-2) after doing all the research I could on the subject I have found that this is VERY common in their age group. It kinda falls on mom to keep them nursing at this time if she wants too. Not to force them but to continuously remind them, KWIM? Anyway I've started letting it go longer in between sessions and trying to not offer it so often. It doesnt' matter to dd where I nurse or how quiet it is she wont' unless she wants to so I totally understand. The past few days she's been nursing MUCH better so I think things are getting back on track. I would def. try to keep nursing at least until two, there are so many benefits to nursing for that long that it would def. be better. IF not it's not a big deal, I just wanted to let you know that I have BTDT and it is getting better. My dd is 14 mo. I also did the pump and the fengrueek thing for about two weeks. I wasn't getting anything from the pump, I can't get a letdown for the life of me. I'm also slow to get letdowns for dd which also doesn't help. Anyway I finally just gave that up and things have been going great. Another bit of advice I found was to take away all things they suck on. I had been letting Kaytlynn carry around a sippy cup with just a little water in it all day long. She would suck on it even if it didn't have anything in it. Anyway I read to take those away and since I have it has helped A TON!!! I hope that helps a little. WE shouold def. talk sometime as I'm doing the same thing as you!! ((hugs))
mommy21princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 08:36 PM   #10
Lucky Child
AKA The Evil Twin
Formerly: rrandle
seller

My Mood:

To me he could be weaning. I would follow his lead. Good luck! And while it's kinda sad, be proud that he can tell you what he does and doesn't want!