Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-11-2008, 08:44 PM   #11
catalina
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: making cereal?

so do babies need to start with iron fortified food? i read starting with rice ceral bc it will be easy on their developing stomachs. why do so many moms on here start with avocado?

Advertisement

Old 11-12-2008, 02:52 PM   #12
Raspberry's mom
Registered Users

I was wondering this same thing and I went to this website http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/ to find out how to make my own (pulse the short grain brown rice or a combination of that and jasmine rice -and then cook it). I also wondered about the iron, but because my DS is BF he is already on a vitamin D supplement and it contains iron, so I am thinking I will just keep him on that and make my own rice cereal.
Raspberry's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 07:21 PM   #13
takasmom
Registered Users

Quote:
Originally Posted by catalina View Post
so do babies need to start with iron fortified food? i read starting with rice ceral bc it will be easy on their developing stomachs. why do so many moms on here start with avocado?
it's not necessary to start with an iron-fortified food, but around 6 months it is normal that EBF babies deplete the iron stores they are born with and so need another source of iron in their diets. we supplement with iron drops, so like another PP said it just gave us more flexibility to start with other foods and make our own cereals rather than buy the commercial brand cereals just for
the iron.

besides the iron, i think another argument for starting with cereal is that it is generally well tolerated.

avocado is great bc its high in fat that babies need for brain development. and it tastes yummy, so any leftovers can go in my belly
Old 11-22-2008, 01:14 PM   #14
ShamroxGirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

D liked pulverized soft-coked barley! I got it from the health food store and cooked it well then used the blender to mush it.

***4***8***12***16**20***24***28***32***36 ***40
ShamroxGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 06:30 PM   #15
crystalannski
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I used to make all my own baby cereal, I used the guide from http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/ , I found it easiest to grind it with a coffee grinder. It's really not that hard, it's a little more time consuming.
crystalannski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:59 PM   #16
lilybear
Registered Users

I use Earth's Best Oganic Brown Rice baby cereal and I don't think it has any of the bad stuff in it.
lilybear is offline   Reply With Quote