Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-07-2006, 07:22 PM   #1
ahisma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Lump in breast

While is was feeding Harry tonight I found a lump in my breast. Logically I know that this is likely nothing...benign cyst or a clogged duct at the worst, but my mom died 2 1/2 years ago after a long, horrible battle with cancer (colon, not breast) and I am not even close to prepared to deal with this.

I'm so rational about everything that happens, but I'm just not up for this.

If you are looking at my boob, it's the right one, at about the 10:00 position...top side, near my armpit. It's a pretty decent size too, about the size of a large marble...maybe a medium sized black olive.

Tell me that this is nothing.

Advertisement

ahisma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 07:32 PM   #2
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox
No Longer Here

My Mood:
Re: Lump in breast

how long have you noticed this?

did it suddenly appear, has it come since bf the baby? my prayers are with you mama that it is nothing at all. call your dr in the AM and get it checked out to be sure because you know if my tiny chance it is anything, the sooner its found and treated the more likely everythign will be just fine don't worry yourself and see the dr ok
Sweet_Fantasy_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 08:08 PM   #3
daizydoo
Registered Users
seller
seller

When my dd was about 6weeks old I had a lump on the outer part of my breast towards my armpit that I just noticed one day. I had the doc check it out at my 6 week checkup, it turned out to be a clogged duct. She told me it's pretty common when nursing. Especially when baby had been eating a lot then backs off. I know how nervewracking it can be waiting. Call and get it checked out, it will put your mind to ease.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:10 PM   #4
mamachandi
Registered Users

I would get it checked asap. But I had a lump and it was just a fibroid and it was nothing. I changed my diet and it went away. Good luck
Old 11-07-2006, 08:32 PM   #5
mom2kailinconnor
'Cuz inside out is wiggity wiggity wiggity whack!
seller

My Mood:

I had a HUGE lump in my right breast, up by my armpit that showed up towards then end of my pg with ds. I was too scared to say anything to my doc. Like you, I was not up for dealing with all the possibilities. Luckily for me, it went away when I stopped nursing and dried up. I would still say to get it checked though. It was dumb that I didn't. It is always better to be safe than sorry. My prayers and thoughts are with you mama!
mom2kailinconnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 08:39 PM   #6
Timetodance
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Go to the doctor!

Most likely it will be nothing.

It could be a clogged duct, or a imflamed lymph node, or just a lump. It is most likely nothing to worry about. BUT I just brought my Mom home from the hospital on Thursday, and she is alive and well thanks to early detection. Please please go.
Timetodance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 08:43 PM   #7
ahisma
Registered Users
seller
seller

I just noticed it, but to be honest I'm not good at doing breast exams so it could have been there for a while.

I am definitely going to call my doc first thing in the morning...heck I'd call right now if I thought it would do any good.

I do breast compressions pretty regularly since I pump, but not really there because it's an awkward angle an I have tendon damage in my hand.

I *know* that it's probably nothing...but in the last 3 yrs DH's "anxiety attack" wound up being a heart attack (at 34 y.o,) , my mom's "constipation" wound up being colon cancer (about to burst at that), and my miscarriage wound up being a partial molar miscarriage.

I guess I'm just accustomed to being hit with the worst case scenario. Obviously that doesn't mean that this will be bad, but I just can't shake that feeling.

Meanwhile I'm trying to feed on that side as much as possible (Harry is having a growth spurt so it's easy to feed alot), massage it, and apply heat. Hopefully it will be smaller or go away by the time I get to the doc...but I'm going regardless (which is saying alot since I don't often go to the doc).

Old 11-07-2006, 09:43 PM   #8
Kimmomy2dom
Mmmm Saucers eating chocolate
seller

Location: I'm halfway across the country, but weirdos have a way of teleporting!
My Mood:

mama. Probably nothing. I'm glad your getting it checked out. Keep us updated!
Kimmomy2dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 09:45 PM   #9
9800Emily
Registered Users
seller

Get it checked. If your doc trys to dismiss it as just a clogged milk duct, insist on a mammogram and needle biopsy. When I had clogged ducts they were warm to the touch and disappeared with in a day.

This is the worst case scenario, but it does happen. Please take it seriously and insist on having the lump checked out fully. A good friend of my moms (she was close to the whole family) found a lump that her doc dismissed as just a clogged milk duct. After she was done BF (a year and a half later) the lump was still there, the doc still dismissed it. When she finally went to a doc that would listen she was taken to surgery the same day for a double mastectomy. Unfortunately it was to late and the cancer had metastasized to her lymph nodes. She lost her battle with cancer 2 years ago after a five year fight. The doc that treated her said that if the first doc would have listened to her she would most likely still be living today. I'm not trying to scare you, this is just an issue that I have become passionate about since losing such an amazing person in my life.
Old 11-08-2006, 01:38 AM   #10
ahisma
Registered Users
seller
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9800Emily View Post
This is the worst case scenario, but it does happen. Please take it seriously and insist on having the lump checked out fully. A good friend of my moms (she was close to the whole family) found a lump that her doc dismissed as just a clogged milk duct. After she was done BF (a year and a half later) the lump was still there, the doc still dismissed it. When she finally went to a doc that would listen she was taken to surgery the same day for a double mastectomy. Unfortunately it was to late and the cancer had metastasized to her lymph nodes. She lost her battle with cancer 2 years ago after a five year fight. The doc that treated her said that if the first doc would have listened to her she would most likely still be living today. I'm not trying to scare you, this is just an issue that I have become passionate about since losing such an amazing person in my life.
Thanks for the info. It's not warm to the touch at all...but I'm still hoping that's all it is.

I totally agree about being proactive with stuff like this. The docs blew off my mom's constipation for 2 weeks and told her to take OTC meds for constipation. She had MS, so they said it was because of that. We took her to the ER FOUR times before they actually looked into it. By the time they examined her properly they found a tumor in her colon that war ready to burst. Her surgeon said that if they had found it even an hour later she wouldn't have made it. Of course, by that time it was too late for her to beat the cancer. It's a long story, but she fought it for about 3 years before she passed away.