Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-10-2008, 01:52 PM   #31
myboygus
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Soups, stews, chilis - share your recipes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4chixmama View Post
One more. I'm making this tomorrow night.

30-Minute Minestrone

2 med. carrots, chopped
1 c. chopped cabbage
1 celery rib, thinly sliced
1 sm. onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
2 tsp. veg. oil
1 can Italian stewed or diced tomatoes, undrained
3 beef bouillon cubes
1 c. torn fresh spinach
2/3 c. cooked elbow macaroni
1/4 tsp. pepper

In a 3 qt. saucpan, saute carrots, cabbage, celery, onion & garlic in oil for 5 min. Add water, tomatoes, & bouillon; bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Simmer, uncovered for 20-25 min. or until veg. are tender. Stir in spinach, macaroni & pepper; heat thru.
Yummy! I'm trying this one out.

Advertisement

myboygus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 05:12 PM   #32
McMamma38
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yum~lots of good recipes to try.
Really looking forward to making the White Chicken Chilli.Thanks for shareing mamas.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:05 AM   #33
CrunchyMama0607
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

http://www.pillsbury.com/Recipes/Sho...aspx?rid=12048

making this tonight
Old 12-13-2008, 10:42 AM   #34
Rosella
Registered Users
seller

This one sounds bizarre but was SOOO delicious - a playdate mom made this and I think I ate 4 bowls

Cabbage, Beef, and Cheddar Soup

Ingredients:
1 pound ground beef
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 onion, chopped
1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 head cabbage, chopped
1/2 cup water
3 cups milk
2 cups shredded or cubed Velveeta cheese
3 tablespoons flour
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper

Directions:

Cook and stir ground beef, celery, onion, and green bell pepper in Dutch oven until meat is brown and vegetables are tender; drain. Stir in cabbage and water. Cover and cook over low heat about 10 minutes.

Stir in milk and remaining ingredients. Heat to boiling, stirring constantly. Boil and stir 1 minute.

These are playdate mom soups, too. We had a soup buffet playdate in November, and wow! YUM!

Pasta Fagiole

2 tbls olive oil
1-2 tbls rosemary
1 large fresh bay leaf or 2 dried bay leaves
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 small carrot, finely chopped
1 rib celery, finely chopped
Coarse salt and pepper
2 (15 ounce) cans cannellini (or Great Northern) beans
1 cup tomato sauce or canned crushed tomatoes
2 cups water
1 quart chicken stock
1 1/2 cups ditalini pasta (elbow macaroni is a good substitute if you can’t find ditalini)

Heat a deep pot over medium high heat and add oil, rosemary, bay leaf, and chopped vegetables. Season vegetables with salt and pepper. Saute until onion becomes tender. Add beans, tomato sauce, water, and stock to pot and raise heat to high. Bring soup to a rapid boil and add pasta. Reduce heat to medium and cook soup, stirring occasionally, 6 to 8 minutes or until pasta is cooked al dente. Remove bay leaf from soup. If smoother consistency is desired, blend soup with a hand blender, or in batches in a regular blender. Let soup rest and begin to cool for a few minutes. Top with grated cheese.

Winter Vegetable Soup

3 tbsp olive oil
1 c coarsely chopped onion
1 c peeled, cored and coarsely chopped Granny Smith Apple
1 c peeled and coarsely chopped turnip
1 c peeled and coarsely chopped butternut squash (seeds discarded)
1 c coarsley chopped carrot
1 c peeled and coarsely chopped sweet potato
5 c vegatable or chicken stock
3 tbsp maple syrup
Cayenne pepper

Heat oil in dutch oven, add onion, saute until translucent. Add apple, turnip, squash, carrot and sweet potato, season with salt, then saute for 5 minutes. Add stock, bring to boil and simmer, stirring occasionally for about 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add syrup. then cayenne pepper to taste. Cool slightly. Puree with a handheld mixer or blender.

And one more ... similar to the pumpkin sausage soup:

Curried Pumpkin Soup

1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
1/2 cup chopped onions
2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups chicken or vegetable broth
1 can solid pack pumpkin (15 ounces)
1 can evaporated milk
2 Tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon salt (IMO: I thought this needed more salt )
1 teaspoon pepper
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon curry powder
Sour Cream and Chives (optional)

In a large saucepan, sauté the mushrooms and onions in butter until tender. Stir in flour and curry powder until blended. Gradually add the broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for two minutes or until thickened. Add pumpkin, milk, honey, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Heat thoroughly. Garnish individual dishes with sour cream and chives if desired. Yields seven servings.

Crock pot version:
In a large saucepan, sauté the mushrooms and onions in butter until tender. Stir in flour and curry powder until blended. Put in crock pot. Add all other ingredients and simmer for up to 4 hours.

We should remember that if a situation cannot be changed, there's no point in worrying about it. If it can be changed, there is no need to worry about it either, we should simply go about changing it. – His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama
Rosella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2008, 06:37 PM   #35
hona
Registered Users
seller

Thank you! I made this tonight and dh loved it. In his words, it was like I took happiness and joy and made it into a soup. I love how the bacon flavor works throughout the whole soup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4chixmama View Post
This is my dh's favorite:
Cheesy Ham Chowder

10 bacon strips, diced
1 large onion, chopped
1 c. diced carrots
3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
3 c. milk
1-1/2 c. water
2-1/2 c. cubed potatoes
1 can whole kernel corn, drained
2 tsp. chicken bouillon granules
pepper to taste
3 c. shredded cheddar cheese
2 c. cubed cooked ham

In a dutch oven or large soup kettle, cook bacon over med. heat until crisp. Remove to drain. In the drippings, saute onions & carrots until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually add milk & water. Bring to a boil; cook & stir for 2 min. or until thickened. Add potatoes, corn, bouillon, & pepper. Reduce heat; simmer uncovered for 20 min. or until potatoes are tender. Add cheese & ham; heat until cheese is melted. Stir in bacon.
Makes 10 servings.
hona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 08:11 AM   #36
NessaL_07
Registered Users

My Mood:

Im gonna have to make some of these. I was looking for a recipe for a stew/soup/gumbo something thats you cook up some diced chicken..cook onions, greenpeppers until tender. And has corn, okra, tomatoes in it. I know there is a little bit more. but I had a recipe for it a few years ago, and now I cant find the Right one.
Old 12-23-2011, 12:48 PM   #37
hbee
Registered Users
seller
seller

So, this is way old, but let's add to it!

Chicken Pot Pie

Pot Pie Squares (the noodles)
3 cups flour
1 large egg
1 T. vegetable shortening (such as Crisco)
1/2 - 3/4 cup water
Preparation -
Combine the flour, egg, and shortening. Alternately knead & add small amounts of water until the dough holds together. Divide the dough into two or three pieces. Roll each piece to about 1/8" thickness on a floured board. Cut the rolled out dough into squares about 2" to 2-1/2" each. Allow the freshly made pot pie noodles to dry for about 30 minutes or more before cooking.

the stew
You can also use about 3 or 4 cups of shredded chicken or turkey leftovers for this recipe. (If you do, use prepared chicken stock instead of the 2 quarts water. I use about 4 cans of chicken broth, such as College Inn® Broth, with leftover chicken or turkey.)
1 - 3 lb. stewing chicken
2 quarts of water
5 medium potatoes - peeled and cut into bite size chunks
2 cups chopped celery
1/2 cup very finely diced carrots
1 small onion - chopped
1 T. dried parsley
1 tsp.salt
1/2 tsp. pepper
Preparation -
Cook theh chicken in water until tender. Remove the chicken from the broth; remove the bones and skin; cut or shred the chicken meat into bite size pieces. Meanwhile, add the vegetables and seasonings to the simmering broth, cook for about 15 to 20 minutes, then start to the add the pot pie squares to the broth mixture, a few at a time, stirring frequently so they don't stick together. After all the noodles have been added, cook gently for about 6 to 8 minutes or until the noodles are tender. Add the cut-up chicken. Cook over low heat, stirring occasionally for about 20 minutes longer. Remove from heat. Let stand for about 5 minutes before serving. Pot pie is usually served on dinner plates or in shallow bowls. Serve with a salad such as coleslaw, pepper cabbage or lettuce with hot bacon dressing for a complete meal. Leftovers taste even better than the first time around.

I just use PA dutch noodles in a bag, I haven't made my own.
hbee is offline   Reply With Quote