Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-10-2008, 11:53 PM   #1
mrspnut82
Registered Users
seller
seller

Unhappy Anyone with SUA (single umbilical artery)?

Does anyone have or had sua? They spotted it at my 19 week scan and sent me for a level 2. Everything else checked out fine, no other abnormailities that they could see. The head tech said he would recommend I have regular ultras in my 3rd tri to make sure the baby is growing properly. So when I asked one of the midwives what their plan was for my 3rd tri they said there was no need for anymore ultras. That it was common enough and weren't really concerned. Then how come I never hear of anyone else having it. I've researched as much as I can online (there's not much info) and it is scary to read. I kinda had to push the ultrasound issue and so they scheduled me for one this week. I'm 28 weeks, I thought they would do regular ones or at least do it closer to my due date. Are they just trying to blow me off and make me happy by doing one or is it really not a big deal? Why would the tech recommend it if my midwives aren't worried about it.
I remembered there is an issue with my drs and my insurance co. As of the end of Dec. if they don't reach an agreement (meaning my ob getting more $) then their contract will not renew. Patients will have to pay out of pocket. Would this be reason for not wanting to care for my pregnancy properly? If this nonrenewal does happen I will have to find another ob. Meaning I will have a month to get used to a new dr. (EDD Feb. 3rd) I delivered my last 2 there.
I wanted a home water birth originally but this has got me too scared. Am I over reacting? Should I just switch drs now or wait this renewal thing out?
I'm soo stressing. Oh I hope someone has gone through this and can help me...

Advertisement

mrspnut82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 06:25 AM   #2
angelmama1209
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Anyone with SUA (single umbilical artery)?

I had this with my last dd. They found it at my 19 week u/s. The radiologist came in and, I guess, tried to give us the "what could happens". He said all the organs checked out fine which was good, but that it could result in prematurity and low birth weight. He said I would have regular u/s throughout my 3rd tri to check baby's growth. Considering my first was 5 weeks early, I was a little concerned. But when I went to my OB, I got the same thing as you. They weren't really concerned and wouldn't dwell on it. I get get 3 u/s in my third tri, but I had to ask for them. I felt like they felt I was overreacting.

Turns out my baby was born a day before she was due and was 8.3lbs. My OB was shocked at her size! Anyway, try googling "two vessel cord", I didn't find a wealth of onfo, but I remember it was enough to calm me. GL!
Shanna - married to Joshua (12/9/00), mommy to Princess Hailey (4/27/05), our Sweet Imp Ashlyn (11/3/07), Our Crazy Head Curly Top Alexa :wave2:(6/3/09), Sassy Little Juliet (3/2/12) and new baby Tristan (1/10/14)!
angelmama1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:52 PM   #3
kel_seewhite
Registered Users

Hi there

I currently have a baby with sua and too found out at my 20 week detailed ultrasound. They have taken this issue very seriously with me thankfully. This is my 8th pregnancy and I currently have one child. I too had never heard of this until it was presented to my from my ob. I have had us every 3 to 4 weeks and also before they even found the sua problem I had the triple screen testing/nulco testing to try and eliminate things like Downs, Spina Bifida, etc. (they have been ruled out to about 80%) which is of some comfort. What I am finding difficult are all the things that could be wrong with our baby after birth takes place (you know the things they cannot see from the us). The internet does have a alot of info. that I have found and it does become all so cosuming and bothersome, but I wanted to be educated and find out whatever I could prior to the birth.

I am currently 37 weeks and babies due date is Dec. 10th, but they will be doing a c-section first week of December or earlier depending on this Wednesday's us results. Baby is two weeks behind in growth and I am measuring over one week behind. OB says it's still within the "normal" range but if at this weeks us he shows little to no growth since last us then we will move the c-section up to next week as baby is a footling breech and is not turning. OB does not want to turn him and risk adding stress to an already stressed baby. Last us he was weighing in between 3 and 4 pounds - at that point baby was at about the 10 percentile (on a scale growth). They have prepared me for a smaller baby (hopefully around 5 and a half pounds).

We are praying that our little miracle is good health and his internal organs and other concerns with sua babies have no affect on him.

I completely understand what your feeling and going through, it's not easy and I wish that you were being better taken care of and your concerns were being addressed. This is a serious issue for any parent that has to go through this and if you every want to chit chat my e-mail is toneguzz@telus.net.

Thinking of you
kel_seewhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 05:38 AM   #4
angelmama1209
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Praying that it turns out as well for you as it did for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kel_seewhite View Post
Hi there

I currently have a baby with sua and too found out at my 20 week detailed ultrasound. They have taken this issue very seriously with me thankfully. This is my 8th pregnancy and I currently have one child. I too had never heard of this until it was presented to my from my ob. I have had us every 3 to 4 weeks and also before they even found the sua problem I had the triple screen testing/nulco testing to try and eliminate things like Downs, Spina Bifida, etc. (they have been ruled out to about 80%) which is of some comfort. What I am finding difficult are all the things that could be wrong with our baby after birth takes place (you know the things they cannot see from the us). The internet does have a alot of info. that I have found and it does become all so cosuming and bothersome, but I wanted to be educated and find out whatever I could prior to the birth.

I am currently 37 weeks and babies due date is Dec. 10th, but they will be doing a c-section first week of December or earlier depending on this Wednesday's us results. Baby is two weeks behind in growth and I am measuring over one week behind. OB says it's still within the "normal" range but if at this weeks us he shows little to no growth since last us then we will move the c-section up to next week as baby is a footling breech and is not turning. OB does not want to turn him and risk adding stress to an already stressed baby. Last us he was weighing in between 3 and 4 pounds - at that point baby was at about the 10 percentile (on a scale growth). They have prepared me for a smaller baby (hopefully around 5 and a half pounds).

We are praying that our little miracle is good health and his internal organs and other concerns with sua babies have no affect on him.

I completely understand what your feeling and going through, it's not easy and I wish that you were being better taken care of and your concerns were being addressed. This is a serious issue for any parent that has to go through this and if you every want to chit chat my e-mail is toneguzz@telus.net.

Thinking of you
Shanna - married to Joshua (12/9/00), mommy to Princess Hailey (4/27/05), our Sweet Imp Ashlyn (11/3/07), Our Crazy Head Curly Top Alexa :wave2:(6/3/09), Sassy Little Juliet (3/2/12) and new baby Tristan (1/10/14)!
angelmama1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:35 PM   #5
kel_seewhite
Registered Users

Thank for your prayers, it means alot to me.

We are taking deep breaths as we go into our us tomorrow and get ready for our BIG day when we finally get to hold our second child after so many losses.
Old 11-19-2008, 02:00 PM   #6
ashleynjacy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son had SUA. Believe it or not, I had about 7 ultrasounds and not one person picked up on it. Towards the end of my pregnancy, he started not to move as much and I just knew something wasn't right. I went into labor two weeks early, thank God, because I felt that he was under some stress. Call it mother's instinct or God, but I just knew. After I had him, they checked him for everything under the sun. He has one of those little dimples near his butt crack, but my daughter did too. The checked him for spina bifida but everything came back normal. My OB told me not to worry, because she never actually saw a baby badly affected by SUA. She said the hospital has to cover their butts by checking for everything (my ped told me the same thing). My son was also born with two teeny tiny extra digits but I was told it had nothing to do with SUA.

My only advice is to try and relax. If your little one made it this far than all should be good. You will love this baby no matter what. I won't lie and say I wasn't scared because I was. Just have faith and be excited for your new baby!

If at the end of your pregnancy you feel decreased movement go right back in and have them do an ultrasound.

Good luck!
Old 11-19-2008, 02:02 PM   #7
ashleynjacy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

What helped me was not obsessing on the internet (which is what I do about everything). Try not to search to deep.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:03 PM   #8
kel_seewhite
Registered Users

Had 37 week us today and baby and I are both measuring two weeks behind. They said it's still within the normal range though so not to worry too much. My amniotic flluid levels are lower,b ut again within the normal range Index I go to OB on Friday to get more detailed results and check my cervix.

Baby is moving around quite a bit which is good, but still not turned down so c-section it is.
Old 11-23-2008, 08:14 AM   #9
mrspnut82
Registered Users
seller
seller

I kept asking about the ultrasounds because the other head tech recommended them. Now they are doing one a month. Makes me feel better. I have since stopped looking online lol. They said he looks good so far, so lets hope it stays that way.
mrspnut82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:33 PM   #10
Mama'sPocket
Registered Users
Formerly: LizzieAG
seller

My Mood:

I had a son born with this. I had him at home and it was missed on ultrasound. Personally, I would not knowingly homebirth a baby with this. Here is my reason: The whole two vessel cord thing often results in decreased blood flow to baby, which if there is any trama during birth can be a very big deal. Also having a two vessel cord is often indicative of other placenta abnormalities. While they are most often not a problem, they can become a huge issue during birth. Placenta Abruption is a really common concern with two vessel cords.

My son was born after a fairly short and easy birth. However, as I was pushing I had a full placental abruption and he did not take his first unassisted breath for over 50 minutes. We are extremely fortunate that he has no brain damage, but brain damage often happens in cases of placenta abruption.

Also he only weighed 4lbs and 12 ounces at 36+ weeks gestation. He did not grow at all in his last month and we were just buying time for lungs to mature. Because of the decreased blood flow that he was receiving his digestive system really suffered and we dealt with severe issues for the first year.

Neither home birth or multiple ultrasounds would have changed the outcome, but I would have been much less stressed had regular ultrasound been done. Instead of just "guessing" about growth. I also would have had a better postpartum experience had I been at the hospital, instead of having to have baby transported via ambulance and trying to get there myself. Plus the stress of dealing with social services and such, because we had to have a bunch of interviews.

Anyway, two vessel cords are extremely common and normally do not result in any issues, but personally I won't be taking the chance this time around.

The choice is yours and it might be just fine to homebirth, but having done that I wouldn't knowingly do that again.