Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-17-2008, 08:57 AM   #1
daisy0306
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Unhappy Need help with hard stools

DD has very hard stools, I feel so bad for her She's always been an every 3-4 days pooper, but it was never hard until I stopped pumping for her a couple months ago. She's 15 months old now.

I've tried upping her fruit intake, her fiber intake and her liquids. She will drink juice, but not very much. She just wants milk! I've taken to watering down her milk to try and get her to take in more fluids. Almost everything is whole grain, no white breads at all. I'm really at a loss, when I get this way I eat more fibre and drink more but that doesn't seen to be working, maybe she's still not getting enough??

Does anyne have any food suggestions, things to push, things to avoid? Thank you

Advertisement

daisy0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 08:59 AM   #2
Maddie&Jake'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Maddie'sMom
seller

My Mood:
Re: Need help with hard stools

How much water is she drinking? Cut down on the milk and start giving her more water with her meals for sure. Also, why not try using yogurt and fruits to make smoothies for her? The probiotics in the yogurt will help and they are SOOO yummy! She might like that better than milk!

(I'd avoid bananas for now though)
Maddie&Jake'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:07 AM   #3
flobee76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I was also going to suggest cutting down milk and giving water with meals as well. Here are some things that helped us with our DD, who easily gets constipated, even at 4 yrs.

1. NO juice. Only water and milk.
2. Adding cod liver oil to her yogurt
3. Giving prunes when neccessary.
4. Really push fruits and veggies at every meal.
5. Avoid bananas!!!
6. Probiotics help a lot
7. NO refined sugars or flours. Only using sucanat, rapadura, honey, maple syrup, or molasses.

Also, I am "mean mommy". I feed the kids plain oatmeal every morning, DD's is sweetened with a little bit of maple syrup and cinnamon. That REEEEEALLY helps.
Mom to DD (5/04), DS (8/07), DD (2/09)DD (5/13), Blessing #4 in the arms of Jesus 11/2011

Jesus-follower, Traditional Foodie, Homeschooler, frugal-er
flobee76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:17 AM   #4
daisy0306
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie'sMom View Post
How much water is she drinking? Cut down on the milk and start giving her more water with her meals for sure. Also, why not try using yogurt and fruits to make smoothies for her? The probiotics in the yogurt will help and they are SOOO yummy! She might like that better than milk!

(I'd avoid bananas for now though)
This morning I gave her yogurt and oatmeal with blueberries, which is the only fruit that she really loves.
I always give water with meals because she wants so much milk. They also both her water in sippies that she has access to all day. I've been doing about 3oz milk with the same amount of water mixed or more. She still takes a bottle 3 times a day. (naps and bedtime, with one in the middle of the night.)
She's not a banana girl and I know those are constipating so I don't give her those.
thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by flobee76 View Post
I was also going to suggest cutting down milk and giving water with meals as well. Here are some things that helped us with our DD, who easily gets constipated, even at 4 yrs.

1. NO juice. Only water and milk.
2. Adding cod liver oil to her yogurt
3. Giving prunes when neccessary.
4. Really push fruits and veggies at every meal.
5. Avoid bananas!!!
6. Probiotics help a lot
7. NO refined sugars or flours. Only using sucanat, rapadura, honey, maple syrup, or molasses.

Also, I am "mean mommy". I feed the kids plain oatmeal every morning, DD's is sweetened with a little bit of maple syrup and cinnamon. That REEEEEALLY helps.
How come no juice? She likes oatmeal and yogurt...I'll have to pick-up some cod liver oil. Any suggestions for how to give prunes? She just spits them back out Maybe I should hide them in her oatmeal?? I will have to start giving her fruits/veggies first so she is more likely to eat them.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:21 AM   #5
flobee76
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisy0306 View Post

How come no juice? She likes oatmeal and yogurt...I'll have to pick-up some cod liver oil. Any suggestions for how to give prunes? She just spits them back out Maybe I should hide them in her oatmeal?? I will have to start giving her fruits/veggies first so she is more likely to eat them.
Juice contains a LOT of sugar. Even the "no sugar added" ones have a lot of fructose, so when you think about it, you are kind of overloading the child on unneeded sweeteners. Too much sugar can cause constipation.

What you can do about the prunes, is first, soak them until they are really soft, then, put them in a blender and puree them w/ a bit of the soaking water. Then, you can add it to yogurt, oatmeal, etc.
Mom to DD (5/04), DS (8/07), DD (2/09)DD (5/13), Blessing #4 in the arms of Jesus 11/2011

Jesus-follower, Traditional Foodie, Homeschooler, frugal-er
flobee76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:23 AM   #6
daisy0306
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you
Old 11-17-2008, 09:26 AM   #7
Maddie&Jake'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Maddie'sMom
seller

My Mood:

What kind of oatmeal are you using?

I make Maddie's with whole grain rolled oats and put it in the fridge in little bowls (a la Super Baby Food's Super Porridge). When I heat it up, I put stage 2 Gerber organic pears in it. Its funny that I buy baby food, but its easier right now being 9 months pregnant lol). Mixing up the pears and the oatmeal, she loves it.
Maddie&Jake'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:51 AM   #8
daisy0306
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

the quick oats. Looks like I better switch.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:09 AM   #9
jessd32003
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Hi mama, I have this same problem. Actually a couple weeks ago, my poor one year old had blood in his poop because it was so hard. I, of course, called the doctor like any panic stricken mother would. They said pear juice. I got organic pear juice (brand was Santa Cruz). He guzzled it down and within a couple hours went and no hard stools. I swear by pear juice. You can even buy the pear nectar that is sold by the cans. It is usually in the mexican food isle at any grocery store. I think the organic juice and the nectars are better because they seem more grainy or have some pulp type stuff in them. Works great for us!! Hope that helps
Old 11-17-2008, 10:15 AM   #10
jbaxter
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Pear juice works WONDERS here. We use Knusden brand orgainc pear juice ALSO our ped recommended 2 oz of prune juice every day it keeps the poo soft and easy to push out.
Pears and prunes will also help.

I agree with cutting down on milk but the pear and prune juice IS a life saver here.
We did 2 oz of prune mixed with 2 oz of pear then add 4oz water ( 2 cups a day) on more stuck days we did 2 pear juice boxes ( Nathan LOVES juice BOXES) of the Knusden orgaic pear juice.
I only use the organics because alot of the other juices arent 100% juice