Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-17-2008, 02:43 PM   #1
sdevonh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Weaned...now wanting to nurse again.

I'm about 23 weeks pregnant and was trying to wean DD because my breasts have been so sore and I feel that she will accept this baby better if she does not have to share my breasts with him. She was down to just nursing in the morning when I tried to wean her. I started a routine of giving her a sippy cup of milk when I got her up in the morning. We would take it to the couch and she would eat some Kix and snuggle with me while I watched the news (the TV was a helpful distraction ). Once she was ready, we'd go eat breakfast. This routine really worked to distract her from nursing and she's been off the breast for about 3 weeks. We took a shower together the other day and all of a sudden she started smacking her lips when we got out, before I put my towel on . She said "mama milk", and I told her that there wasn't any more. She sucked on each nipple for about three seconds and seemed convinced. Since then, she's asked again a couple times. Once was in front of DH. When I told her that there was no more mama milk and went to pull up my shirt so she could nurse and see for herself, he said "No." How do you think that I should respond to this if she asks again? I try to distract her, but when that doesn't work, I don't want her to feel rejected by me. What would you do?

Advertisement

Old 11-17-2008, 10:23 PM   #2
Sewing4Girls
Registered
seller

My Mood:
Re: Weaned...now wanting to nurse again.

Personally, I'd let her see for herself that its gone. That said, one day you might have milk and then she won't buy the all gone thing. How old is she? I know with my older Ds, when I weaned him about 15mo (and had his brother a month later ) I just told him we were all done with milkies and that was that. He did start drinking a bottle about 16-17mo though and I pumped for him for about 4-5 months and then he just stopped asking for his bottle and I didn't remind him and that was that.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:33 AM   #3
sdevonh
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

She'll be two in January. Old enough to communicate well and get her feelings hurt if I say "no" to her. Young enough that she can still be distracted sometimes. I have a feeling that she is going to want to start nursing again once this baby gets here and she sees him doing it....
Old 11-18-2008, 09:37 AM   #4
Jenifer
Banned

My Mood:

i think that letting her nurse when the baby comes is totally fine! infact i think they will bond more and she will accept him more if they share nursing. Rather then her being mad bc her new baby took her mommies boobies. I have a 2.5 yo that still tries to nurse (im almost 20 weeks) here and there (maybe every few days) im confident she will start nursing when the babe is here. and heck who wouldnt want the relief from engrorgement! toddlers are great at draining your breast!
Jenifer is offline   Reply With Quote