Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2006, 08:44 AM   #1
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

My baby is sick, advice?

OK, our entire family is actually sick. My throat has been sore for days, along with flu like symptoms. One ds has had diarrhea, the other one is grumpy and sleeping all the time. Dh is really sick and actually called in to work today. So I think it's the flu.

But I'm most worried about Hannah, who is only 6 months old. Every time I nurse her, she pukes. Right now she's actually just lying still watching cartoons. Which, of course, is weird for a 6 month old. I just started taking a medicine dropper and dripping water into her mouth so she doesn't get dehydrated.
I don't want to take her to the dr unless she gets really bad because I know this is just a virus. Does anyone have suggestions?

Advertisement

SheilaJoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 08:50 AM   #2
DakotasMommy
Registered Users

Re: My baby is sick, advice?

Pedi pops. They are the pedilite popcycles. They have all the electrolytes that she will need to keep from getting dehydrated. My kids seem to like the pedi pops more than the pedilite liquid stuff. Hope this helps.
Hugs,
Heather
DakotasMommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 08:51 AM   #3
Lucky Child
AKA The Evil Twin
Formerly: rrandle
seller

My Mood:

I think you are doing the right thing for now. Watch her fever and keep dripping water into her mouth. That's all you can do. It's so hard when our kiddos are sick, especially the wee ones.
Old 05-15-2006, 08:58 AM   #4
Mount*n*sunshine
Registered Users

I am going through this now. My dd has croup. My ped said she wouldn't need to see her unless she was lethargic aka if she stopped playing. I think you wanna call the ped when a 6mo is just watching 'tunes. Keep an eye for wet dipes ect... Good thing we cloth diaper. It's easy to tell if they have wet at all. good luck hugz for the babies and you.
Sarah
Mount*n*sunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:14 AM   #5
scatterbrainedmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

smart water is much better than any sugared electrolyte drink. it is plain water with added electrolytes. if you are breasfeeding you should also (if she cannot latch on) pump and give it to her in something.

this is what i did when nathaniel was sick and ebf. took a dropperful of echinacea and hour. I would mix it in with apple juice. to the apple juice I would add some airborne on top of that I would chew 4-5 vitamin c vitamins an hour also. taking such large doses garunteed that enough would be in my milk.

ETA. he had an upper respritory infection that went away in 5 days. I assume it is from that because my oldest had it and it turned into baby bronchiolitus (similiar to RSV) and had it for about 2 months.

Last edited by scatterbrainedmom; 05-15-2006 at 09:54 AM.
scatterbrainedmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 09:17 AM   #6
Lucky Child
AKA The Evil Twin
Formerly: rrandle
seller

My Mood:

Stacy you took the dropperful each hour? How much arborne...the whol thing? LMK
Old 05-15-2006, 09:23 AM   #7
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

Thank you so much for the and advice. I looked on those websites, and the smart water and Airborne are both at my local Target, so I will definitely be going there today! Do they also have echinacea at Target?
Old 05-15-2006, 12:43 PM   #8
geckoed
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

how is the baby today? At 6 months you can feel the soft spot, if its sunken you'll need a Dr. If her mouth is wet enough to make "spit bubbles" she's fine. (well- not "fine" but not really deydrated). Your milk is easier on her than water. Try to pump some out and drip it in. I used 1/2tsp every 15 min when my boy was puking hard.
Old 05-15-2006, 12:50 PM   #9
scatterbrainedmom
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrandle
Stacy you took the dropperful each hour? How much arborne...the whol thing? LMK

yes, one dropper full each hour. not sure the exact measurement, but they are all pretty much the same. the whole airborn tablet. i like the lemon lime one the best.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:45 PM   #10
SheilaJoy
I grow people
seller

OK I went to Target, and I have ingested Airborne, Echinacea and Vitamin C, Smart Water, and chicken noodle soup.
I haven't given any SW to Hannah because she has nursed twice without throwing up.
Thanks for everyone's help!