Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-03-2008, 10:01 PM   #21
jesibsmith
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Night weaning an all night nurser

Dr. Gordon's that pps mentioned worked for us at 12months. We cosleep and he was nursing throughout the night...

Ditto what pp said on consistency... The first night of no nursing from 11-6 he screamed bloody murder... in hysterics off and on for 2 hours straight the first time he woke... i felt awful... but i cuddled and held and talked to him the whole time... the second time he woke he did the same for 1 hour, and the 3rd time he woke it was after 6 so i fed him!

The second and following nights were much better, no more screaming or hysterics, a couple cries for 30 seconds, and now... sleep! but yes, the key is for it to be clear to dc that from 11-6 or whatever time you set, there will be no nursing no matter how mad they get... if you give in and sometimes bf during those times, it will make the adjustment that much harder for you and dc...

i love having ds in bed with us and am so glad that I found a night weaning solution for co sleepers!

Advertisement

ds1-William Yeadon Josiah: Born at home Tuesday Oct. 9, 2007 at 11:24am 7lbs 8oz 20in long
ds2-Phineas Franklin James: Born at home in water Tuesday May 11, 2010 at 10:40am 7lbs 2oz 20 in long
ds3-Oliver Obadiah Starbuck: Born at home in water Tuesday, September 11, 2012, 10:49am 6lbs 4oz 20in long
Our Home Water Birth Video
jesibsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 10:47 AM   #22
amberbamberbabyfluff
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I feel so good that you ladies are going thru what I am right now, I felt so alone and so much pressure from my parents and friends to wean abruptly and force him to sleep in a separate room b/c I am not sleeping well and in turn an angry housewife! I am so relieved at your advice and encouragement thanks so much ladies. I am going to try these new methods i had not heard or thought of. THANKS!
amberbamberbabyfluff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:47 AM   #23
LauraA1212
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Alright, so last month we had to abort our night weaning mission because DS wanted no part in it. We tried, but after a week of no sleep we gave up, plus I was sick so that didn't help.
Well, now DS is almost 13 months and is waking every 15 minutes with one 2 hour stretch some nights and I can't take it anymore! I am cranky all day and then I go to work tired at night and come home angry because I am soooo tired. So I have taken 2 weeks off of work to hopefully fix this situation! I have taken from the 18-31 off. Should it take longer than that, DH will have to handle it on his own the nights I work.
The most common things I have been told to try are ottles and pacifiers which DO NOT work, he doesnt even accept them anymore and CIO, which really isn't an option because I can not handle it.

Does anyone have any other tips or tricks that have worked?
Please I am litterally losing my hair from the stress he is causing and still rethinking TTC#2 because I am afraid he will never get better!
Mama to Brian 12-05-07, Alita 11-01-09 and expecting #3 July 2011- It's a Boy!!!
LauraA1212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:52 AM   #24
LauraA1212
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

One more thing: DS got a precious moments doll for Christmas that he loves. It was suggested by a mama to get him a lovey, how can we try and use this as a lovey?
Mama to Brian 12-05-07, Alita 11-01-09 and expecting #3 July 2011- It's a Boy!!!
Old 01-02-2009, 10:07 AM   #25
jesibsmith
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Give us details on what you tried for a week when you tried the first time. Maybe if you moved him out of your bed and that wasnt working you could try the dr. jay gordon tips mentioned in previous posts and keep him in your bed. Honestly it worked great for us, on the first night of no bfing from 11-6 he screamed bloody murder while i held and patted and talked to him, but after that he was just fine... and he's still in bed with us and we all sleep more now! Consistency is definitely key, if you give in and bf him after so many minutes of crying then he learns that crying gets him fed and makes nightweaning much more difficult. So stick to your guns and try the Jay Gordon process with no giving in if that's not what you tried the first time, or if you didn't follow the rules the first time.

I am so sorry mama! I know it's crazy when they won't sleep! Oh also, Melatonin (given in smaller than adult doses) helps regulate sleep cycles, maybe give 1mg of that 30 mins before bedtime... HTH!
ds1-William Yeadon Josiah: Born at home Tuesday Oct. 9, 2007 at 11:24am 7lbs 8oz 20in long
ds2-Phineas Franklin James: Born at home in water Tuesday May 11, 2010 at 10:40am 7lbs 2oz 20 in long
ds3-Oliver Obadiah Starbuck: Born at home in water Tuesday, September 11, 2012, 10:49am 6lbs 4oz 20in long
Old 01-02-2009, 12:21 PM   #26
LauraA1212
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

We followed Dr jays plan to a T for 9 days and then it got to be way to much. He would scream bloody murder for hours on end and then no naps during the day, DS and I were zombies.
We started a serious bedtime routine and stuck to it then I would lay him down and nurse him to sleep, I don't know maybe that should stop too? Then when he would wake, I would hold and rock and walk and talk to him and quietly hum or sing his favorite song. He would usually fall asleep after 3-4 hours, but only to awaken anywhere between 15 minutes and 2 hours later to repeat the whole process. Some days I did give in and feed him at 4 or 5, but never before that. I didn't nurse the first three nights when he awoke because it put him into hysterics. It is seriously all a blur, I am trying to remember what I did... I might have to come back and post more.

What is Melatonin?
Old 01-02-2009, 06:10 PM   #27
jesibsmith
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraA1212 View Post
What is Melatonin?
It's the hormone our body naturally produces to regulate sleep cycles... if we are sleep deprived (if your LO isn't sleeping at least 45mins at a time he isn't going through a complete sleep cycle, and thus is getting sleep deprived) then we are short on Melatonin.

I would also maybe google some sleep pattern stuff online cause it seems that if by this age he still isn't sleeping very long on his own, then there might be an issue that needs to be resolved with his sleep patterns... I don't know who would be an expert on those things, maybe another mama has a suggestion.

You can usually find melatonin in the supplements section at a health food store or maybe even Walmart.
HTH!
Old 01-02-2009, 08:57 PM   #28
etsdtm99
Registered Users
seller

My DD is a pretty horrible sleeper (not as bad as your DS, but pretty bad) and now at almost 3 yrs old we finally figured out she had obstructive sleep apnea and she had her tonsils and adenoids removed a few weeks ago and it has made a huge difference.. i would go to your pedi and tell them right off that you are not asking for advice on sleep training but want to make sure there is nothing wrong.. kwim? I wish i had pushed more, (sooner) because i knew something was keeping my DD from sleeping .. she still has some sleep issues but it just made such a HUGE difference.. she doesn't fight sleep anymore because she (or her body?) knows she can still breath even if she relaxes..

my DD also has issues with night terrors -- where she partially wakes and screams hysterically .. asks for mommy but hits me etc. .. we have figured out that if she wakes and is crying we have to get a wet wash cloth and 'wake her up' and then work on getting her back to sleep ..

really though.. to me, it doesn't sound like your DS is a horrible sleeper - it sounds like something is bothering him.. does he eat well? is he happy when he is awake ?
Old 01-02-2009, 11:25 PM   #29
gideonsmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

When he eats, how long does he eat for? If he only nurses for a few minutes and then stops and a little while later eats a little more, he's only snacking and not getting the good hindmilk that will help him sleep. Try getting him to nurse a little longer at a time. And I agree about going to the doctor and getting him checked...something could be bothering him enough that prevents him from sleeping.
gideonsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:37 PM   #30
musicalisa
Registered Users
seller

I remember being in your shoes with my daughter when she was about 15 months old. I finally night-weaned her, and she cried in my arms for a few nights. Honestly looking back on it, it was a mistake for us (though I'm not suggesting that it is/would be for you). She was taking in a lot of calories at night, and not during the day (she has some food allergies that had yet to become clear), and she ended up losing weight. Now that I'm a second time mama, I feel much more chilled out about it all, and don't forsee myself in that situation with my son. I was really afraid though, at the time, that my daughter was going to night-nurse FOREVER! I was scared!

Even after she night-weaned, we had to repeat the process several times that year because she would get sick – and then all bets were off.

Anyway, just wanted to let you know that you're not alone.

Last edited by musicalisa; 01-02-2009 at 11:38 PM. Reason: typo
musicalisa is offline   Reply With Quote