Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-08-2006, 10:40 AM   #1
monkeylove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Why do people ignore me when I talk about cloth diapering?

I just wanna know, is it just me?
We have a local mommy cafe and play space in my neighborhood and I offered to teach a cloth diapering class at it. So the owner asked me to gauge some interest in it with a local mommy group that was meeting there...I asked the group of 11 women and all but one of them totally ignored me, I mean thier faces just hit the floor when I mentioned it.
Now, I am not shy so I went on to say that I wasn't a crunchy, hippie type(and that is not to say I am not part crunchy and some of my favorite people in the world are very crunchy), just a mom who cared about the environment ...and I also gave them the speech about how one baby generates more than one ton of diaper waste that doesn't disinigrate for more than 500 years...I just said FYI, if you aren't interested now maybe you should read up on this and think about it...Still, noone even looked at me...I even showed them Truman's Fuzzi Bunz...
Well, I am just disgusted because these are my peers...ok I'm early 30's these moms looked maybe early 40's but...I get so much better response from people my parent's age...I mean I am not wiping my son's butt with my underwear...
Better still, I live 2-4 miles from UC Berkeley....I mean I am suppossedly in one of the most progressive places in the country, some would say the most progressive area....I am from West Virginia and I know people don't CD there much, but they would have at least had the common courtesy to sound interested in what I had to say!

Advertisement

Last edited by monkeylove; 11-08-2006 at 11:10 AM.
monkeylove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 10:47 AM   #2
pingumel

Re: Why do people ignore me when I talk about cloth diapering?

my theory is that people are secretly ashamed that they are doing disposables and causing all that harm to the environment. i got that in another mommy group that i was in, too. it's like they don't even want to consider cloth, because they think it's so much more work / gross / whatever, and refuse to reconsider.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:50 AM   #3
mama23boys
Banned
seller

im shocked bc berkeley is all about hippy types and being so earth friendly! im sure if you did start a group interest would grow and you would find more mamas who are or are interested in CDing.
mama23boys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 10:53 AM   #4
Korbins Mommy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

You're not alone. You should see people's faces when I tell them that not only is my son in cloth, but I use cloth Momma pads too. They look at me like I have two heads or something.

They are like, "That's gross." "You wash those?!?"

Ah, poop on them.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:53 AM   #5
pingumel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama23boys View Post
im shocked bc berkeley is all about hippy types and being so earth friendly! im sure if you did start a group interest would grow and you would find more mamas who are or are interested in CDing.
my last mommy group was in seattle, which also can be granola-y too, but i guess not in this respect. i went to a post-birth class (like for infants 6-8wks) and asked , does anyone plan to cloth diaper? that was the most awkward silence of the class, and the instructor just moved on.
Old 11-08-2006, 10:55 AM   #6
Shawna_L
Banned

I rarely bring it up. I just make a point to use cloth in front of other momma's. The ones who might be interested watch at first and then eventually ask. I think letting them get sucked in first by the cuteness factor and then gradually bringing up other benefits works well.
Shawna_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 11:00 AM   #7
Christy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't understand it either. I figure we just have to really keep talking about it until it's not usual anymore. That's how the breastfeeding movement got started and the no smoking movement. It just takes a lot of time. Keep on trying Mama, and you know that one Mama who listened? She may consider cd'ing and/or tell a friend. You never know!
Old 11-08-2006, 11:09 AM   #8
monkeylove
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

thanks mamas!
It helped that my husband was outraged too....I would say something cliche like this isn't the 50's but they were still using cloth in the 50's...
I mean if people really knew what was out there....so now I have to really work to generate interest for a FREE cloth diapering seminar/how-to?
It seems so mixed up?
Old 11-08-2006, 11:22 AM   #9
Christy
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I started by talking with my local recycling center, they found a place for me to teach classes (our library). HTHs!
Old 11-08-2006, 11:33 AM   #10
MamaZ
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I don't get it either. My SILs all look at me like I have 2 heads because I cloth diaper...but I chuckle because at least my DD has a cute diaper and not some paper thingy on

At least my MIL and DH's grandmother love it that I cloth diaper My mom thought it was weird at first but now she tells everyone and tries to encourage people to cloth diaper
MamaZ is offline   Reply With Quote