Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-08-2006, 11:35 AM   #11
Colleeny
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Why do people ignore me when I talk about cloth diapering?

Here's my thoughts on this...

The younger generation in my experience has shown great interest to cloth diapering. The older generation gives me a quizical look wondering why on earth I choose to cloth diaper...when there are disposables now a days. I think it is a matter of ignorance on the subject matter for the older grandmas our mothers...thinking of pins and vinyl pants...and bleach water...and wasting time washing.

For the younger generation most women I talk to about it are very curious, so much to the point of begging me to see them, searching my website out, asking questions, etc. I work part-time in a hospital and many of my coworkers are very curious. I think it comes with the territory.

The more educated people are, the more open to ideas and alternate lifestyles they seem to be.

Advertisement

Old 11-08-2006, 12:22 PM   #12
rebeccah5
Behold: The Official Thread-Killer
seller

My Mood:

Yup, I get that all the time, too. But DH is on board with it and he thinks it's "cute" that I'm so into it, so that's all that matters to me.

And DD recognizes cloth diapers as "real diapers" so I know I'm passing it on to the next generation, KWIM?

ETA: I've had the same experience with younger mothers. I think it's because there's so much emphasis in the media, in our society, about how horrible it is to change stinky diapers. TBH, I always thought that'd be the worst part of having a baby, but it very rarely bothers me, and I have been known to scrape poo off with my hand on occasion. Now, I wouldn't do that for DH, but for my kids, it's different. Kind of like how it doesn't bother me when my child spits up on me, but if someone else's kid does, it's kind of gross...
Check out my knitting projects here and my stash here

Last edited by rebeccah5; 11-08-2006 at 12:26 PM.
rebeccah5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 12:30 PM   #13
jrk
Registered
seller

My Mood:

I live in middle of no where Iowa, and most people think I'm crazy! Ex... yesterday we went to the ped in a 'still nursin' shirt and cloth diapers, everyone looks at me like 'what is wrong with her?' Most everyone ignores me, but I have a few friends that are considering cding, and once they do, they'll see what all my excitement was about!
jrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 12:34 PM   #14
MilkOnDemand
Registered Users
seller

It is frustrating! I run a small daycare in my home and I've offered to CD all of the babies, and all the parents have decline. I'm shocked that they will tell me they can't afford the diapers, or only bring me a handful because they don't have enough $$$ to buy them for my house and theirs, blah blah blah. I have offered to buy the prefolds, snappis & make wool soakers for the cost of yarn & then accept payments and still NO. They say it's too much work, or it's not a big deal, or just ignore me...So, I have tons of freakin diaper trash that is disgusting and I just know it is filling up landfills. I have every doggone diaper cream available for the rashes, I end up washing playpen sheets a couple of times a week from the pee leaks, and usually at least 1 outfit from a poo leak. All that work, and none of it from my own darn kid.
MilkOnDemand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 12:37 PM   #15
runningdiva
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I live in the middle of No-Where GA and trust me everyone thinks I am crazy.... I am the only mama around who CD's, wears her baby, and runs...
I know I am looked at as a loony on all accounts. It sucks!!
I wish I had friends who got it.

Mama to Sophia born 6-9-06
runningdiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 01:03 PM   #16
myajdw
why do you insist on grating my cheese...my kids already do that
seller
seller

My Mood:

i've talked one friend into it...and i was pg still and there she was getting to cd before me . i have another who i think used to just ignore me, but the other day finally listened and is frustrated that there's not more talk about how easy it is. she thinks if it was more in your face (meaning society's) that more people would do it. and i have several friends that plan to at least try cding when they have kids...all b/c i refuse to shut up about it

i agree i think younger moms are actually more apt to listen....not really sure why though? maybe we just like freaking everyone out

Mom to 4 boys~AJ~Dustin~Brighton~Tristan~ & 1 Angel Baby Ilori
& our 1 girly Baker, 8/13
myajdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 03:18 PM   #17
Righteous Recycles
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yes, it totally befuddles me when I speak to someone who can barely afford to make the bills and complains about the costs of diapers, yet just won't use even an AI2 or something. I just want to make people be interested in it.
Righteous Recycles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:23 PM   #18
Tripletmomtx
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I am very new to cloth diapering. My friend told me she was going to and I was like no way I could have done that with triplets. All the pins and washing poopy diapers by hand oh no! LOL Yeah I know I was totally wrong. I finally decided to try it after a botched potty training attempt with my trio. I am now obsessed! I love it! I am kicking myself for waisting so much $ in the past two years on disposables.

If someone had told me that it was so easy and that no you dont have to use pins and that you scrape the poop in the toilet and throw the diaper in the LAUNDRY MACHINE I would have done it from the start.

By the way my mom thinks I am nuts for cloth diapering. She wont put them on the triplets when she cares for them. My mother in law who is 65 thinks it is not a big deal. Heck she did it with four boys and had to wash the diapers out by hand LOL
Old 11-08-2006, 04:54 PM   #19
SarahJane
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I never gave it a second thought until I was looking for a solution to our son's chronic diaper rash. The more I searched, the more hooked I got and then I got our first fluff and it was love at first sight. I still remember how much fun it was to put our first FB on our son. It was navy and I thought it was perfect!
Old 11-08-2006, 05:33 PM   #20
Gloria
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yeah my husband's grandma and MIL think Im weird. They always say "its so much easier to do it nowadays...you just have to throw the diapers away." Then I always say, "no, I wash mine too BUT it's not a big deal to me"

Its good when you have good experiences like when DH took longer than expected one time and I was down to one clean diaper and all I had to do was wash the dirty ones and we were good to go! They were like "oh that is soooo nice! I thought we were going to have to go to the store"...hehehe, nope you just wash this kind
Gloria is offline   Reply With Quote