Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 05-15-2006, 10:06 AM   #1
ehth2
Registered Users
seller

Postage for Diapers?

Not sure if this is the correct place to post this question.

I'm relatively new to this site and CDing. I'm still trying to get the hang of making sure that I am buying and selling items at a fair price. I've noticed that some people include shipping costs and others don't. So what is the general rule to use? or does it depend on the seller or how heavy items are (i.e. premium prefolds).

Any advice welcome. TIA.

Advertisement

ehth2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 10:17 AM   #2
aimeemarie
Registered Users
seller

Re: Postage for Diapers?

I always use Priority. I just sent a BSWW and 2 premiun cpf's for 4.55. I typically will not charge shipping on DS deals...but always do for Ebay.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:43 AM   #3
FitMommyOf2
I wish I could turn the tide!
seller

My Mood:

I'd say most include shipping as it's easier instead of having to wait for the mama to check the weight/zip code etc.
As far as I know most of us ship First Class or Parcel Post as it's much cheaper. If you ship through PayPal (printing label), you get automatically a DC# for the recepient, that's the only way I ship my dipes or other stuff I sell.

If you have a kitchen scale you can easily check the weight and after a while you can estimate the weight for a dipe. A SBs pocket for ex. is 2oz, a BSWW around the same, that's coming to ~0.75$-1.00$ for shipping w/FC.
If you list a pocket for 10$ppd you can roughly estimate 1-1.50$ for shipping.

HTH!
Old 05-15-2006, 11:22 AM   #4
ehth2
Registered Users
seller

Thanks Mamas! Helpful info...

I'm also thinking about how heavy premium prefolds can be and a fair price to charge for those? Do you still ship the same for heavier items? Sorry so many questions.
ehth2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 11:40 AM   #5
marvelous
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

As the pp poster said, it is easier to include the postage in your price. I usually figure out what I expect to keep in my pocket (no pun intended), add on the postage, and then round up or down to a nice whole number. I bought a little postal scale and it has saved me so much time, energy and money since I don't have to drive to the PO or overestimate on postage. Once you get addicted to DS (and you will ) you will sell/buy diapers like crazy!

Prefolds are the one thing that I see a lot of mamas list the postage for seperately. Probably because they are so heavy and the postage is a lot to ship them. I think because when you see this high price for pfs that includes shipping, you kinda get turned off. But when you can see that you are paying $xx for the pfs and then shipping, you can deal with it better. That's what I think.

Ask as many questions as you want. The mamas on here are wonderful!

Good luck and welcome!

Last edited by marvelous; 05-15-2006 at 11:46 AM.
marvelous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:30 PM   #6
raversangel
Banned

i'm new to this board, but not others...it's much easier to just inclued postage in your prices, i actually tend to not buy dipes if the postage isn't included!! it just seems more of a hassle
raversangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 12:33 PM   #7
aimeemarie
Registered Users
seller

Marvelous: How does that work with the scale? I know you can print off a shipping label @ USPS.com and do they just pick it up @ your house? Do you buy envelopes from regular old Walmart then and do you print your labels on some kind of special sticker paper?
Old 05-15-2006, 12:36 PM   #8
raversangel
Banned

i have a scale for meat and vegie's at the house that i use, put it into usps and see what average shipping is...i usually pick a town across the us...then when it sells i just use the paypal option to ship and it will take the shipping costs out of your paypal and print off a label on normal paper...then i just put clear boxing tape over it and i'm done...as far as bags go i have a TON of bags just laying around the house from stuff i've bought so i've never had to buy any
raversangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 02:43 PM   #9
mamagina
Registered Users
seller

If you're not shipping and selling much, most po's have "self service" scales. I've gone in and weighed everything and figured out how much it was going to cost to send it and based the price on that. Light things are generally pretty cheap, it's the heavier stuff like prefolds that can get you. And when you get paid with paypal, you can ship it through there. You can just use paper and tape the edges, you don't Need the stickers.