Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-21-2008, 03:34 AM   #1
myboygus
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Is my baby ready to try solids? (4.5 months)

I know there are a zillion posts on whether its the right time to start solids or not. Well, here's another.

I have a big four and a half month old. He was born 9 lbs. 4 oz. and is bigger than most babies his age (not chunky as much as athletic.. sturdy). It's starting to feel like I can't keep up with him feeding wise. He wants to nurse ALL the time. I use to be able to keep some bottles of pumped milk in the fridge but its getting hard to do that anymore just because I can't keep up with him. He always seems hungry.

DH is eager to get him trying solids but I'm worried its too early and am trying to wait as long as I can. Yesterday we went to the market and bought some brown rice and organic rolled oats to cook for Gus when we're ready.

Do you think its too early to introduce a solid? Should I just continue to nurse him every 1-2 hours during the day? Yes, he nurses that much. Is brown rice cereal and oatmeal cereal a good first food? Should I add something to it other than BM? Fruit or veggie maybe?

HELP!

ETA: I'm typing this at 2:30 AM and am a little zombiefied. I hope when I read this in the morning it still makes sense.

Advertisement

Last edited by myboygus; 11-21-2008 at 03:39 AM.
myboygus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:38 AM   #2
Maddie&Jake'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Maddie'sMom
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is my baby ready to try solids? (4.5 months)

It sounds like your baby is just having a normal growth spurt to me. Maddie had a HUGE one at 5 months where she at every 30 minutes to 2 hours. If you start with solids, you'll have an even tougher time keeping up with his demand (his constant nursing right now is telling your body to make more milk, which it will as long as you keep nursing).

His size really has nothing to do with whether or not to start eating solids. I am a firm believer that you should wait until 6 months (as a lot of pediatricians are now saying, instead of the 4-6 months) to start solids. Babies are just not ready before then...and if you are nursing, this is a CRUCIAL time to keep your supply up.
Maddie&Jake'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:50 AM   #3
myboygus
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Thank you! That is what my gut is saying to me as well. But I have DH in my ear eager and excited to start solids. Now I have to convince him its not the right time. I was just worried I might be starving my baby.
Old 11-21-2008, 09:54 AM   #4
Maddie&Jake'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Maddie'sMom
seller

My Mood:

Here are some links you can you show your DH:

http://breastfeeding.about.com/od/br...dingstages.htm

http://www.kellymom.com/nutrition/so...ay-solids.html

Maddie&Jake'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 09:57 AM   #5
Edensmomma
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

The AAP doesn't recommend starting solids until AFTER 6 months. I personally would never introduce solids until at least 6 months. Just sounds like he is having a growth spurt to me.
Edensmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:15 AM   #6
myboygus
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie'sMom View Post
Will be sharing that info with DH. Thanks!
Old 11-21-2008, 11:42 AM   #7
3rockstars
Registered Users
Formerly: FaeryGnomeHome
seller

agreed with the other posters. we began at 6 months and she's now 10.5months and you can never count on her eating enough solids for a real "meal" even now. she's still more into nursing or taking a breastmilk bottle from her dad than taking solids from either one of us.

by the way, he is SO super cute in your av. I LOVE chunky little arms. You just wanna nibble them. He looks absolutely delicious.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:57 PM   #8
myboygus
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by faerybugmady View Post
agreed with the other posters. we began at 6 months and she's now 10.5months and you can never count on her eating enough solids for a real "meal" even now. she's still more into nursing or taking a breastmilk bottle from her dad than taking solids from either one of us.

by the way, he is SO super cute in your av. I LOVE chunky little arms. You just wanna nibble them. He looks absolutely delicious.
Aww thank you. He is quite delicious.

I guess I never knew how little solid food babies actually ate.
Old 11-21-2008, 12:59 PM   #9
ShamroxGirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

My son was the same weight! You LO does not need solids until 6mo! I agree with PP that he's probably going through a growth spurt!

***4***8***12***16**20***24***28***32***36 ***40
ShamroxGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 12:59 PM   #10
Rosella
Registered Users
seller

Nothing wrong with him nursing that often at that age, mama. Perfectly normal. Even if you can't keep up with pumping and nursing, at least switch him to appropriate formula BEFORE you introduce solids eventually (my pedi recommended waiting until 9 months). Now is just too soon for such a little guy.

We should remember that if a situation cannot be changed, there's no point in worrying about it. If it can be changed, there is no need to worry about it either, we should simply go about changing it. His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama
Rosella is offline   Reply With Quote