Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-21-2008, 02:20 PM   #11
Maddie&Jake'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Maddie'sMom
seller

My Mood:
Re: Is my baby ready to try solids? (4.5 months)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosella View Post
Nothing wrong with him nursing that often at that age, mama. Perfectly normal. Even if you can't keep up with pumping and nursing, at least switch him to appropriate formula BEFORE you introduce solids eventually (my pedi recommended waiting until 9 months). Now is just too soon for such a little guy.
Ah! There is NO reason to introduce formula!!!! Why would you even suggest that to an EBF mama who has a baby going through a growth spurt? If anything, that would hurt her supply even more.

Advertisement

Maddie&Jake'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 02:27 PM   #12
angabre
Registered Users
seller

I believe this is a judgment call. You should go with your gut. When they first start solids alot of times they are just experimenting with it. I started in the forth month just like I did with my kids who were born in the 90's. The recommendation then was 4 months. She was only eating small amounts and it has slowly increased. She's 7 months now.

I do agree that it is probably a growth spurt and your milk supply will catch up and he may not have to eat so often soon. Don't feel pressured into giving him solids. He'll get enough to eat and nutritionally BM is all he needs.

When your ready and he's ready I say go for it!
Old 11-21-2008, 02:37 PM   #13
Maddie&Jake'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Maddie'sMom
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by angabre View Post
I believe this is a judgment call. You should go with your gut. When they first start solids alot of times they are just experimenting with it. I started in the forth month just like I did with my kids who were born in the 90's. The recommendation then was 4 months. She was only eating small amounts and it has slowly increased. She's 7 months now.

I do agree that it is probably a growth spurt and your milk supply will catch up and he may not have to eat so often soon. Don't feel pressured into giving him solids. He'll get enough to eat and nutritionally BM is all he needs.

When your ready and he's ready I say go for it!
Just to clarify...ALL babies when they start solids should just be experimenting.

For the first year of life, solids are just for experimenting with tastes and textures and NOT for nutritional value. And for the first year of life breastmilk or formula should be the primary source of all babies' nutrition.
Maddie&Jake'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 04:54 PM   #14
ShamroxGirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie'sMom View Post
Ah! There is NO reason to introduce formula!!!! Why would you even suggest that to an EBF mama who has a baby going through a growth spurt? If anything, that would hurt her supply even more.
Yea, that would REALLY not help in the supply area!

***4***8***12***16**20***24***28***32***36 ***40
ShamroxGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:36 AM   #15
bumminbeachbabe
Registered Users
seller
seller

If you are considering solids you should talk to you pediatrician. My son was a big boy too, 9lbs 3 oz. By 4 months he was just shy of 18 pounds. At that time our pediatrician said we could try rice cereal with him, but that was because I was really struggling keeping up with him. He went weeks eating every hour or so. It was awful. His weight gain slowed down terribly.

For us it was the right choice. He doesn't eat solids every day. He doesn't eat too much in each sitting either, and is still a bf champ.

As a side note, I had heard that brown rice may be a little harder on a babies tummy as a first food. A single grain rice cereal is less likely to cause any kind of reaction, and I thought that oatmeal should be introduced after rice.

Please correct me if I am wrong mama's!
bumminbeachbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 11:38 AM   #16
FarmerMama
Registered Users

Have you tried some Fenugreek for your supply? I took 12 capsules (610mg each) a day for 2 weeks (split it up into 3 caps, 4 times a day) and my milk supply has surged!!! I have a hungry 4 monther as well and ends up its just a combo of growth spurt and getting over a cold. We're waiting until she acts like she wants food (usually ~6 months).
FarmerMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 01:08 PM   #17
ShamroxGirl
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Yea I started fenugreek when D was around 2 mo. He was a HUGE baby and I wanted to pump to have for DH when he got home or for cereals when he was older or in case something happened to me..

I didn't need the pumped milk but I did get a very nice boost in supply.

***4***8***12***16**20***24***28***32***36 ***40
ShamroxGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 01:45 PM   #18
Rosella
Registered Users
seller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie'sMom View Post
Oh no no no! Oh good God NO! I would NOT normally advocate supplementing formula for an EBF baby - but I was really referring to this statement from OP, which made it seem like the EBF thing was really overwhelming her (and might be another emotional place where the desire to start solids came from):
"It's starting to feel like I can't keep up with him feeding wise. He wants to nurse ALL the time. I use to be able to keep some bottles of pumped milk in the fridge but its getting hard to do that anymore just because I can't keep up with him. He always seems hungry."
I just meant if she felt like EBF was too, too much for her (and some women might), and if she was going to/wanted to cut back nursing anyway, I would certainly advocate supplementing with formula first (before giving up nursing altogether!) and NOT starting solids until MUCH later. Does that make sense?

I totally agree an EBFing mama should give it her all - because that's definitely what it takes! - I EBFed to 8 months (and was fortunate enough to be able to quit my job at 4 months to be able to keep up with it, because I could not pump). But there really are mamas who just can't give nursing that kind of chance and devotion for whatever, myriad reasons - and they shouldn't be made to feel bad about formula, if that's all they feel they can do!

We should remember that if a situation cannot be changed, there's no point in worrying about it. If it can be changed, there is no need to worry about it either, we should simply go about changing it. His Holiness the 14th Dalai Lama
Rosella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2008, 09:51 PM   #19
myboygus
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumminbeachbabe View Post
As a side note, I had heard that brown rice may be a little harder on a babies tummy as a first food. A single grain rice cereal is less likely to cause any kind of reaction, and I thought that oatmeal should be introduced after rice.

Please correct me if I am wrong mama's!
Hmm is this true? Any other ideas on what to start with first? I've been using wholesomebabyfood.com for ideas.

I now have DH on board with waiting at least until DS is 6 months.

I have not tried Fenugreek. Thanks for that suggestion! Right now I'm keeping up with him just the right amount but if I start to slow down at all I'm in trouble. He used to be satisfied with just one boob per meal but now it usually takes all of both sides.
myboygus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 06:59 PM   #20
CouchCow
Registered Users

My Mood:

Hooray for EBF! Hooray for boobs 'keepin up'! The fenugreek really works and tea made with it is yummy. If I feel like I need to try to catch up to my DS hunger (6 mo. no teeth, no interest in my food) I do this little routine with the tea (and extra fluids in general going in me -H2o, brothy soups, etc.) and just hang out topless in bed with him for as long as I can, just letting him play and suckle, and I think happy nourishing thoughts too. Natures supply/demand is awesome - BF is one of the most challenging but completely wonderful/loving things you can do!

You LO looks so healthy!

I think brown rice may be slightly harder to digest b/c the hull of the grain is still there, but it would be nutritionally superior to processed or white rice food. I did read somewhere that oats are better as 'later on' solids.

Wind

Last edited by CouchCow; 11-23-2008 at 07:01 PM. Reason: mis spell
CouchCow is offline   Reply With Quote