Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-23-2008, 08:36 PM   #21
ksgreenlee
Registered Users

My Mood:
Re: Is my baby ready to try solids? (4.5 months)

My cutie is at 4.5 months and we introduced some rice in his bottles (my milk never came in ever because of L&D trauma) we actually use an immersion blender and blend it so it is very thin and this has helped us a lot, but we noticed some constipation on rice. As soon as we switched to the single-grain oatmeal, baby boy was so happy and pooping regularly (I think the increased fiber is better for them than rice!). No science, just my experience in case you decided to try!
K

Advertisement

ksgreenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:27 PM   #22
Maddie&Jake'sMom
Registered Users
Formerly: Maddie'sMom
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgrenlee View Post
My cutie is at 4.5 months and we introduced some rice in his bottles (my milk never came in ever because of L&D trauma) we actually use an immersion blender and blend it so it is very thin and this has helped us a lot, but we noticed some constipation on rice. As soon as we switched to the single-grain oatmeal, baby boy was so happy and pooping regularly (I think the increased fiber is better for them than rice!). No science, just my experience in case you decided to try!
K
Rice in the bottle isn't a good way to introduce solids.

To the OP: If you are going to do rice cereal, introduce it as a food, not in a bottle
Maddie&Jake'sMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 03:40 PM   #23
haydensmommy
Registered Users

My Mood:

I would try to talk your DH into waiting until he's at least 6 months, Hayden started solids @ 7 months & she still nurses every 2ish hours, I'm not trying to discourage you but sometimes babes just need the snuggle time <3 Plus your body is supply/demand, he's just telling your body that he needs more
haydensmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 10:19 PM   #24
saladsunshine
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Just wanted to let you know that my 4 month old is also very big and tall for his age. He would like to nurse every 2-3 hours now. I'm just going with it.
We're going to wait until 6 months (and when he shows interest) to start solids.
saladsunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:38 AM   #25
ksgreenlee
Registered Users

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddie'sMom View Post
Rice in the bottle isn't a good way to introduce solids.

To the OP: If you are going to do rice cereal, introduce it as a food, not in a bottle
My doctor suggested it and I will add that we use an immersion blender and blend it down a bit. But, if you are going to state such a strong opinion as to a mom not doing something "a good way" maybe say why you think so or some research behind it?
Kristin
ksgreenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 11:56 AM   #26
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgrenlee View Post
My doctor suggested it and I will add that we use an immersion blender and blend it down a bit. But, if you are going to state such a strong opinion as to a mom not doing something "a good way" maybe say why you think so or some research behind it?
Kristin
Why are you putting cereal in the bottle in the first place? I don't want to sound rude or something, but just because you're doctor suggested it, it doesn't mean it's the right thing to do. My SIL's doctor told her to feed her baby solids at 3.5 months and also told her that because my baby is so big, I need to stop breastfeeding & start giving her solids so she'll loose weight. Definitely not a doctor I'd continue to see!!

Here are some links, though:

http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/tipcerealinbottle.htm

http://www.parenting.com/article/Bab...aby%27s-Bottle

(although I do not agree that any baby is ready for solids before six months of age)
Emi Marie, 8.15.14

2208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:47 PM   #27
niajane
Registered Users

My Mood:

I agree that rest, lots of water, nurse in bed to keep baby happy. Your supply will increase.
Our LO was fussy at dinner, so we put him at the table with us and now that he can see us he is so happy. (second baby).
Then I thought a little dinner wouldn't hurt so he's tried a tsp of brown rice cereal and 1/2 inch of banana. It mostly dribbles out but its play and experiment as someone said.
I would add that the br rice is a little hard to digest. He was uncomfortable the first day so I would go with a small amount mixed with lots of BM.
And even skip a day of cereal.
Good luck with the pumping, it helps to completly relax, I sing to baby, and ignore 2 year old pulling out all my linens from drawers!
niajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 06:10 PM   #28
myboygus
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by niajane View Post
I agree that rest, lots of water, nurse in bed to keep baby happy. Your supply will increase.
Our LO was fussy at dinner, so we put him at the table with us and now that he can see us he is so happy. (second baby).
Then I thought a little dinner wouldn't hurt so he's tried a tsp of brown rice cereal and 1/2 inch of banana. It mostly dribbles out but its play and experiment as someone said.
I would add that the br rice is a little hard to digest. He was uncomfortable the first day so I would go with a small amount mixed with lots of BM.
And even skip a day of cereal.
Good luck with the pumping, it helps to completly relax, I sing to baby, and ignore 2 year old pulling out all my linens from drawers!
Thanks, mama . I got a giggle from your last statement hehe.
myboygus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 10:53 PM   #29
keen1981
Registered Users
seller
seller

WAIT until 6 months. there is NO need to start eariler and can actually cause problems.
keen1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 05:43 AM   #30
JaeCraig
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

This is all good for me to hear too. With my first ds I started solid foods at like... a month to a month and a half. And we're talkin' mashed bananas, all kinds of cereal, sweet potatoes etc. I was so naive and luckily he was fine with all of it. It never even occured to me to ask a doctor and no one I knew was challenging me about it. (God bless the children of idiots!)

With this ds (#2) I thought I was smart at first to know that you were supposed to wait until 3 months. Then my doc. said 4 months, but I could start him on some rice cereal now if I wanted. (and ummmmm, I did twice now. he ate the whole bowl) Now that I'm reading all of this though I think I'll retire his baby spoon and stick with BM. I'm looking into the fenugreek too. I'm just so breezy that my attitude is usually "Oh, it'll be fine. Babies have been living for thousands of years" But I need realize that what is okay for my baby might not be what is best for him.
JaeCraig is offline   Reply With Quote