Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 12-02-2008, 01:03 PM   #21
2under2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Everything you need to know about mama cloth

for fleece backing you can use anything but microfleece, i know some use maldin mills microfleece, but i have never tried it. but if you go to joann's you can pretty much use any fleece for the back. it doesn't need to be maldin mills or windpro really since you *hopefully* aren't soaking your pad. your inside layers are what is holding it and it should be sufficient for your flow, many people don't even use a waterproof backing. but for security reasons, and those times when your pad is on longer then expected or something it is nice to have a little extra protection. so any fleece level is really fine.

Advertisement

Old 12-02-2008, 01:51 PM   #22
dazed81
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

wow. I am so subbing to this. I have made lotsa pads for myself but I am gearing up for postpartum. I try to make them as thick asn my sewing machine or serger will go through, because I have no idea what I am getting into. I think the first one I have made pp has two layers of flannel, over two layers of microfiber, a layer of PUL under that, with another two layers of flannel under that. LOL It may never dry.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:18 PM   #23
2under2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i know pp has me a little stumped too. i am homebirthing so i will be using cloth from the get go, i am planning on making probably 3 or so super duper pads to catch all that nasty beginning stuff, and will honestly most likely just throw out those pads but we will see maybe it isn't as bad as i remember..... then i plan on having 6-8 pp pads with a layer of microfiber and two layers of terry with a flannel top and flannel bottom ( i will make those to attach to my pul base) and then i plan on having another 6 or so of pp sized made up of 2 layers of terry a flannel bottom and velour top. then i plan on making about 10 more regular size pads at least 5 of which are for "heavy absorbancy"

if i could ever get bamboo to me i would love to be able to make some with that but it seems i am cursed with bamboo arriving at my house ( i have tried a few times to get it and actually payed for it twice only to not have it get here ) sigh, maybe after the holidays i will try again.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:24 PM   #24
Abunchofus
Registered Users
seller

anyone know where to get microfiber by the yard?
Old 12-04-2008, 11:30 AM   #25
2under2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

i only ever see it on coops (yahoo groups) usually i just buy the towels you get at wal mart in the auto section (you can usually buy a bag of 12 for around $5) however i haven't seen them the last few times i went so i dont know if they aren't carrying them anymore or if they just come in a shipment whenever and is not a normal stocked item ( i know the bags are actually "seconds" towels from scotchbrite) if you do want yardage try doing a search in yahoo groups for microfiber, i can't think of any that are doing it right now. oh and wazoodle i think does, but they are kinda iffy it seems at when you get your fabric.
Old 12-04-2008, 12:15 PM   #26
mommypack
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thanks for the post!
mommypack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 09:09 PM   #27
remrath
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

It looks like diapercuts has microfiber by the yard.
http://www.diapercuts.com/store/WsDe...Cat=Microfiber
Kids in the Garden seems to also
http://74.52.140.226/~kidsinth/shop/...roducts_id=619
Carriers and cloth has it for $8/ yd it looks like
http://hyenacart.com/CarriersAndClot...p?c=34&p=43985
And her at First Gear for $12/yd
http://hyenacart.com/firstgear/index.php?p=73974
I think when I was looking before I might have seen it at Wazoodle but I can't remember. I didn't end up buying

Ok, so if I haven't subbed this thread yet I'd better now.
Wife to Nick, 10 years now. Mom to Lydia (c/s) 6/6/07, Arwen (HBAC) 6/3/09, Silas (HBAC) 7/2/12 and Archer HBAC 10/15/14. Jesus loving, CDing, BFing, non vaxing , homeschooling SAHM who loves my new community is Spring Hill, TN
remrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:02 AM   #28
dazed81
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

and you know I must have preggo brain bad because we use fleece covers constantly on DD but i never once thought of fleece backing on pads. DUH.

At this point I am really planning on using trifolded prefolds (infant size seem to fit best for me) in the postpartum early days, and maybe even at the hospital. But I can't figure out what to do about them not having Plastic backing inside my mesh undies. I know I will be on a pad but I don't want to be leaking all the time either. Ideas?

Last edited by dazed81; 12-05-2008 at 12:03 AM.
dazed81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 04:26 PM   #29
remrath
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

If I recall correctly those fleece undies aren't going to really keep a tri folded pf in place. Fleece soaker instead? Seems like you could make a momma sized one pretty easy.

IDK but you ladies better post again about what worked and what didn't after you have your LOs so I can have a heads up for JUne.
Wife to Nick, 10 years now. Mom to Lydia (c/s) 6/6/07, Arwen (HBAC) 6/3/09, Silas (HBAC) 7/2/12 and Archer HBAC 10/15/14. Jesus loving, CDing, BFing, non vaxing , homeschooling SAHM who loves my new community is Spring Hill, TN
remrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:23 AM   #30
2under2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yeah those "one size" mesh undies suck, although yes it is nice to wear those instead of your own good undies!! can use sew wings/snap clousure to the prefolds? or did you want to use them for other stuff afterwards? i am just thinking they will probably bunch like mad, and really you will have enough to worry about besides trying to descreetly adjust you pad !!! if you can i would trifold them how you want them, then sew them at the tops, then sew fleece wings to them with some sort of closure