Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 01-19-2009, 06:15 PM   #41
daisy0306
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:
Re: Everything you need to know about mama cloth

Advertisement

daisy0306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:09 AM   #42
Angel3167
Registered Users

My Mood:

Anybody?
Old 01-20-2009, 11:13 AM   #43
luvkadcl
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Thank you soooo much!! This will save me so much time. I have been using Kotex brand because they were the softest. Now they have added a scent to the overnite pads and some blue lining to the regular pads. I can't find a pad that doesn't have this blue colored lining. I don't want that dye/chemical near me. So, it is time to make my own. I have wanted to for a long time. Now is the time. Well, as soon as I get a part for my sewing machine to get it working again. Is there a group here who makes mama cloth? Or a yahoo group?

Peace,
Cindy
luvkadcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:05 PM   #44
PsyckoPrincess
Registered Users
seller

Great thread - yay for patterns!! But where do you get a snap press? (And the plastic snaps?)
Christ-following, EC'd, circ'd but non-vacc'd, ERF'd, crunchy, tattooed, organic & green, plant-based single SAHM , to my 100% natural-birthed DS lil herbivore boy! 6/19/08! Visit us! http://herbivoreadventures.com/
PsyckoPrincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 01:24 PM   #45
Angel3167
Registered Users

My Mood:

snap presses are pretty expensive. I know you can send out your work to someone with a snap press and just pay them for there snaps +a little extra for there time and of course shipping there and back
Old 01-20-2009, 01:46 PM   #46
2under2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel3167 View Post
Question for you mama cloth sewing ladies....how many layers in a pad do you think you would need for a heavy wrap around? I really like Homemade mama's pads but I am BROKE. I have bamboo velour, do you think like the outer and then 2 layers and fleece back would work? I have some reg anti pill joanns fleece would that work for the back. Since I bought some of her pads I am afraid I am going to be a pad snob lol

i am not sure what a "wrap around" pad is... but for a heavy pad with wings i think top velour and then 2-3 layers of bamboo fleece would be good. and yes anti pill fleece from joann's will be fine for the back!!
Old 01-20-2009, 01:51 PM   #47
2under2
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

yes, snap press are expensive (i got mine from serena's yahoo group for around 140 i believe, but it did come with a boat load of snaps!!)
if you want a press i would recommend her group, but it really only makes sense if you are going to be making other stuff with it too (bibs, diapers, etc) however they do keep their value pretty well so you could order one and then use if for all your mama pads and such and probably sell it and all the snaps you didn't use for 20-30 less then you paid.

you can also use a snap pliers "thingy" which i hear works pretty well but i personally don't know where to get them so you would have to ask around
Old 01-20-2009, 02:24 PM   #48
mismaggie
Banned

My Mood:

The snap pliers are also sold by Serena. i just got mine and they work great!
mismaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:42 PM   #49
her_ghost
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

I only use snaps with mama cloth so I bought a snap tool for metal snaps... it's a little metal piece and you use a hammer and a thread spool with it - really easy, cost me $3 plus snaps
her_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 11:46 PM   #50
her_ghost
Registered Users
seller

My Mood:

Quote:
Question for you mama cloth sewing ladies....how many layers in a pad do you think you would need for a heavy wrap around? I really like Homemade mama's pads but I am BROKE. I have bamboo velour, do you think like the outer and then 2 layers and fleece back would work? I have some reg anti pill joanns fleece would that work for the back. Since I bought some of her pads I am afraid I am going to be a pad snob lol
For my heavy overnights I used either OBV or flannel as a topper, either 3 layers of bamboo fleece or 4 layers of flannel... but I had to include PUL and a fleece back, just in case. I haven't tried them out yet - I thought my cycle would be back to regular when it came back but of course since I'm actually excited about my next period (cloth pads and a diva cup to try out!) it's not going to be regular. lol.
her_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote