Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

Old 11-21-2008, 06:14 PM   #1
mermadia
Registered Users

My Mood:
How to use RLR?

FOr those that have used RLR Laundry treatment to strip diapers...How did you do it? I've received conflicting instructions. Do you run a load with clean diapers and RLR and then rinse till it's out? Or do you run a dirty load with detergent AND RLR and then rinse till it's out?

Advertisement

mermadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:28 PM   #2
KumfyKozies
Registered Users
seller
seller

Location: Somewhere underneath my yarn and fabric hoard in the US of A
My Mood:
Re: How to use RLR?

KumfyKozies™- Etsy Shop
KumfyKozies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 06:31 PM   #3
Emmett's Mommy
Registered Users
seller

I was told to wash them clean then use it....I got some crunchy dipes and was given RLR and that is what she told me to do. I actually just took all the dipes already clean and threw them in the washer, filled it up with water and some RLR, soaked for 20-30 min, then rinsed them clean...about 3-4 times I think, but don't remember.
I think I also googled it, and that's what I found also.
Old 11-22-2008, 11:33 AM   #4
mermadia
Registered Users

My Mood:

Well on the RLR package it says to use it with the soap when washing. A friend of mine did clean diapers with only RLR and she told me it took her 10 (!!!!) rinses to get it all out.

I did a test run last night with dirty diapers. I figured if I was going to rinse that much anyway, clean/dirty probably didn't matter all that much. I'm sharing what I did because I think I discovered a mini-solution to the insane amount of rinsing RLR requires. Oh and yes, the RLR really worked! My diapers were only a teeny bit funky and they were dingy. WHen I was all done, they were visibly cleaner and there is NO smell. None!

So I washed a small to medium load of diapers on the extra large load setting. First I did a cold wash with 1/3 cup of Tide free detergent.

Then I did a HOT/warm wash with standard amount of Tide and an entire packet of RLR. At the very end of the wash cycle, I just happened to peek into the machine because I was curious to see what RLR looked like. (My friend told me that she could see all the buildup floating suspended in the water when she did it and I wanted to see for myself.) What I found was an enormous amount (like 4 inches deep on top of the water) of bubble foam that was made up of SUPER BUBBLES! They were thick, like meringue. I decided to scoop out the excess bubbles. THis took only a few minutes but I think it made a world of difference. I filled an entire bucket with only bubble foam that I scooped off of just the top of the load. When I tried to rinse the bubble foam down the sink, it didn't disappear. I was so glad I scooped that stuff out of the machine. The bubbles I scooped out lasted in the sink/bucket for hours!

Once I scooped out as much as I could, I let the machine begin the rinse cycle. After the first rinse, I checked again and scooped out another heap of bubbles. Then I just let it rinse/spin to remove the remainder. It still took me 5 rinses for the diapers to be clear.

The upside is though...they look fantastic!

Hope this helps someone else!
mermadia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 01:45 PM   #5
ammcmaho
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

I pre-rinse, then do a hot wash with RLR and country save. I've never had to do more than my regular rinse and post rinse.
Paying for two in child care? An au pair may be cheaper! Great for families who need flexibility!
ammcmaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:01 PM   #6
Libellule
Registered Users

Has anyone tried this with a front loader?

Now I'm scared about the amount of bubbles, since I can't use the scoop them out trick!

I also think I need to do my covers and inserts separately (I've got 19 BG 3.0 pockets with regular and newborn inserts...and I think that's too much for one load, even going in clean.) I may be rinsing for days...
Libellule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:43 PM   #7
christen
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:
Question Re: How to use RLR?

BUMP - any other tips on using RLR for stripping? I am about to do my very first strip (FBOS with MF inserts and cotton doublers) with this stuff and I'm a bit anxious!
Old 10-02-2010, 03:54 PM   #8
Abbie@Mom'sMilkBoutique
Registered Users
Formerly: Abbie
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

1. First use on diapers. I recommend running this with clean diapers alone. RLR does not suds on its own, so this allows you to see first hand if you have any build up. If you have to rinse 10 times - you aren't rinsing out the RLR - but all the buildup in the diapers.

2. Maintenance - you can put a packet in with your diapers (or other clothes) and detergent once a month.
Girasol | Calin Bleu | Natibaby | BabyHawk | Sakura Bloom | Beco Baby | ERGObaby | Boba
Abbie@Mom'sMilkBoutique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 09:21 PM   #9
christen
Registered Users
seller
seller

My Mood:

Ok, so I'm almost done stripping my entire stash and I have to say, this stuff is amazing. I've had these diapers for 6 months to a year, they've only ever been "stripped" using several hot washes, no additives. I use Oxy-Prime, about a half an ounce (or 1/4 scoop) per load with a scoop of Baking Soda every now and again as well as a downy ball full of vinegar every once in a while. These diapers have finally acquired a bit of a metal smell to them and stink pretty bad after sitting in the diaper pail so I thought they needed a real stripping. Instead of adding the entire scoop of RLR I just used 1 heaping tablespoon per load with about 30-36 diaper items per load (pockets with MF inserts and cotton doublers). In my top-loader, I did a large HOT wash with 2 stock pots of boiling water added in the first wash. After the agitator was finished, I scooped the suds off the first load. I reset the machine with the still piping hot water to agitate again and scooped the remaining suds off once it was finished. I then set it to a warm rinse and let it go. After that was done I did 2 additional medium HOT washes with warm rinses. I guess that adds up to 5 rinses total after the additional first HOT wash. The water wasn't COMPLETELY clear but the bubbles were pretty much no existent by the last rinse. Now my diapers and inserts smell, well like nothing, just fresh and clean...it's so wonderful. THANK YOU RLR!!!
Old 10-03-2010, 09:43 PM   #10
Abbie@Mom'sMilkBoutique
Registered Users
Formerly: Abbie
sitesupporter
seller

My Mood:

Woohoo!
Girasol | Calin Bleu | Natibaby | BabyHawk | Sakura Bloom | Beco Baby | ERGObaby | Boba
Abbie@Mom'sMilkBoutique is offline   Reply With Quote